Kick-Ass

Bjorn Heimdall

I just got home from watching Kick-Ass. Logged on the Raven to add my two cents to the forum. I must be blind because I couldn't find a single thread on this masterpiece! Has it slipped under everyone's radar? I must have missed the thread. Anyway, here is a new one.

The premise is simple, it's about a kid who decides to put on a costume and help people out. It's starts out as sort of a different take on superhero movies, but becomes more fantastic as it plays out. It's pretty damn bloody and violent, and there is an eleven year old girl cutting limbs, and slaughtering a whole lot of bad guys. Plus, there is Nicholas Cage. He kills people too.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/kickass/

I did read the graphic novel before but the movie is actually quite different in how it plays out. It's suitably close to the source material, while still throwing enough different stuff in there to keep fans of the comic guessing. I'd even say it's better then the original comics, it would be nice if it would get an Oscar nomination for best adaptation, yes it is far fetched but a man can dream.:sleep:

The best thing though is that it is so incredibly cool. It's like Spider-Man, Kill Bill, John Woo, The Matrix all rolled into one. There are a lot of laughs as well, and times when you will feel bad that you laughed at all.

If you like your action films with over the top, stylized violence, put everything else on hold and see this right away.

Nurhachi1991

I thought it looked stupid

and Nicholous Cage is like the worst actor in the world. Every role he ever has he is the same monotone guy.

Last edited:

DocWhiskey

Read the comic a few months back. I fell in love with it. The comic is perfect. It's hilarious, shocking, and violent.

Saw the movie last week. It was ok. Everyone is creaming their pants over it. I really don't know why. It was good, but that's about it. Didn't like some of the liberties they took. The comic was funny and clever. The movie was funny and dumb.

Indy's brother

Thanks for keeping my expectations realistic, Doc...I really want to see this, but the hype has got me a little gun shy; when everyone goes ape for a movie I typically end up hating it. Now I can go in a little more lukewarm. :hat:

YouNeverKnow

I just saw this. I agree that the changes to the story from the comic were strange. The movie was as violent as the comic, why change a few of the deaths? Also, the ending of the comic was realistic and hilarious. The ending of the movie is straight up Hollywood.

DocWhiskey

Indy's brother said:
Thanks for keeping my expectations realistic, Doc...I really want to see this, but the hype has got me a little gun shy; when everyone goes ape for a movie I typically end up hating it. Now I can go in a little more lukewarm. :hat:

I really love the comic, and what I seen of the trailers made me a tiny bit iffy. I spoiled myself and read a synopsis of the film and thought it sounded kind of stupid. So I had low expectations. Turns out the film is more "comic booky" than the comic book. Does that make it bad? No. Like I said, it was good. Just good. But if you want the TRUE Kick-Ass, get the comic. If it wasn't for Hit Girl people would't give a damn about this film. But I guess the same could be said about the comic too. I say check it out, but keep expectations low.

Nurhachi1991 said:
Nicholous Cage is like the worst actor in the world. Every role he ever has he is the same monotone guy.

I like Cage, it's just that he always wants to be in crappy movies. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call came out recently. Check it out. Cage is hilariously awesome. Or just watch the trailer. He's anything but monotone. He threatens old ladies, and shoots people's dancing souls.

Nurhachi1991

lol in a bizzare turn of events I ended up goig to the show with my friend and we saw Kick Ass.

It wasnt as dumb as I thought before I enjoyed it. It wasnt anything special tho it was just a generic action/comedy.

and Cage suprised me he actually showed some emotion this time haha

indy34

I saw the movie a few days back and really liked it, although I have never read the comic. I was watching a review where a comic book fan said as a normal movie it's about a 8.5/10 but as a comic adaption it's a 10/10.

AlivePoet

I might sound a little vague as I don't want to spoil the film... but I found that too often the movie attempted to be funny and didn't achieve. I'm not a big fan of superhero movies that have constant narration either (really dislike the Spider-man films) and while this film seems like the likely counterpoint/ parody of Spider-man, I was just a little unimpressed by its overall premise. The highschool drama/Dave's personal life is fairly unengaging. While the most interesting dynamic was the relationship between Big Daddy and Hit Girl, even that did not receive enough development or depth. There is no moral compass. There is no remorse for killing at all. It's all black and white. Sure, it's intentional, parodic, satirical etc. I get that. At least, I get that's what it intends to be, but I found that it tried too hard and the end result was without great merit. The movie looks great, it's got style, and so many will say that it's cool. Because a little kid sadistically killing everyone in sight is cool. Yeah...yeah, that sounds about right.

I also really liked Kick-Ass!(y) When I rented it I thought it would be a typical superhero movie but I was pleasantly surprised about how much I liked it. It was one of the better movies I've seen lately.

TheMutt92

I actually really liked the movie until the suddenly unrealistic ending (if you've seen it, you know what I mean). Because of that its not in my top ten of the year... other than that, I thought it was awesome.

WillKill4Food

TheMutt92 said:
I actually really liked the movie until the suddenly unrealistic ending (if you've seen it, you know what I mean). Because of that its not in my top ten of the year... other than that, I thought it was awesome.
I know, right? That "suddenly unrealistic ending" was hard to swallow after seeing the extremely realistic portrayal of the preteen Hit-Girl's ass-kicking combat skills throughout the film.

Montana Smith

That actually looks like a fun movie. Like an underage Kill Bill. Though I doubt it will be "awesome", as in "inspiring awe". But possibly fun, nevertheless.

I'll add it to my list of movies to get.

The girl seems to have quite a daring tone of phrase, too. Looks like Kick-Ass was carving out a curious niche for a film dealing with an ultra-violent and cussing eleven year old girl, which scraped by as a BBFC '15' rating.

Lionsgate movies are the source of numerous guilty pleasures, such as Saw.

This Guardian blog looks at the film, censorship, the history of 'the word that may not be uttered in polite company', and throws in an uncensored video of the trailer.

Warning: this blog contains quotes that employ very explicit language

Don't go there if you're offended by such words, but it isn't anything you won't find in any decent dictionary. I guess if it was good enough for Chaucer, it was good enough for the censors (and The Guardian).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/apr/02/kick-ass-bad-language

adventure_al

Montana Smith said:
That actually looks like a fun movie. Like an underage Kill Bill. Though I doubt it will be "awesome", as in "inspiring awe". But possibly fun, nevertheless.

You are wrong.

Nothing 'underage' about it. Better than Kill Bill and if you allow it to get past the teen flick humour at the start and on to the action it is nothing but unadultered AWESOMENESS!

Montana Smith

adventure_al said:
You are wrong.

Nothing 'underage' about it. Better than Kill Bill and if you allow it to get past the teen flick humour at the start and on to the action it is nothing but unadultered AWESOMENESS!

The girl's underage, that's what I meant. The trailer looked very Kill Bill - irreverent, violent and slick - and I loved Kill Bill.

It still wouldn't be awesome though. Hurricanes can be awesome. Movies can be cool! :p

adventure_al

Montana Smith said:
The girl's underage, that's what I meant. The trailer looked very Kill Bill - irreverent, violent and slick - and I loved Kill Bill.

It still wouldn't be awesome though. Hurricanes can be awesome. Movies can be cool! :p

Well as we don't get hurricanes here maybe im just more easily awed :p

Montana Smith said:

Some of the action sequences did remind me a bit of Kill Bill, and I think the movie is influenced by Tarantino in other ways.
:whip: