Romancing the Stone

Magda

It's not really that old, but it is a classic in my eyes. I think most people who enjoy the Indy movies have seen Romancing the Stone - it came out around the same time as Raiders.

Ska

...and my 2 cents...

The Jewel of the Nile isn't so hot.

My rating:
4 out of 10

Romancing the Stone:
7.5 out of 10

Goodsport

SKAbatula said:
The Jewel of the Nile isn't so hot.

My rating:
4 out of 10

Romancing the Stone:
7.5 out of 10

What was the major difference between the two films? Easy:

Romancing the Stone was directed by acclaimed director Robert Zemeckis (who would later direct films such as the Back to the Future trilogy, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Forrest Gump, among others), while Jewel of the Nile wasn't. ;)

-G

intergamer

I'm surprised I'd never heard of this movie; but after looking it up I'm definitely going to check it out (Thanks!)

Ska

My biggest complaint w/ The Jewel of the Nile is...

***SPOILERS BELOW***

There was no actual Jewel of the Nile. I was expecting a cool temple with the Jewel sitting on an alter. But... :(

Last edited:

Ska

Right...and I would have been happy if the old guy was sitting on the alter of some cool temple or in a cave instead of an actual jewel.

Shipwreck

Moderator Emeritus
RtS is a GREAT film and inspired me to become a writer!

"Yoan Wilder?... THE Yoan Wilder!?"

lol!

Tennessee R

I've seen Romancing the Stone and thought about buying it a lot, knowing it would be a Raiders type, but never knew it would be any good. I guess I'll get it now.

Wow. Heh! When I read the topic I was expecting someone to ask about "Gunga Din" or "Secret of the Incas"! :p

I haven't actually seen Romancing the Stone, but I've heard it's good.

mra

black and white

This is all you need to know:​
"Romancing the stone" = GOOD​

"Jewell of the Nile" = BAD!!

Paden

My reaction to this thread's title was similar to others'. I honestly expected a thread on a film classic like "Gunga Din". "Romancing the Stone" is a great movie, although I can remember being resistant to seeing it back at the time of its release, as I presumed it was a ripoff of Raiders. The movie stands on its own merits and has a number of memorably funny moments. Douglas and Turner are great, but my personal favorites are Zack Norman and Danny DeVito as the antagonists. Much of their dialogue is priceless. The movie is well worth the rental and/or purchase.

"Will you look at those snappers Ralph!"

Oh, and I'd also have to concur with the general consensus on the sequel. It's a complete disappointment.

roundshort

Wow, I remember the poster and being excited that it would be an Indy like movie, as a kid, I wanted every mvie to be Indy like. Was not that into it, some silly physical humor, like the Rock's big jungle thriller much better, Rundown or something I think

Mrs_Fedora

I do like Jewel of the Nile, even if it is a crap movie :eek: . But I saw it first when I was much younger, and then everything that looked like Indiana Jones was cool in my eyes :D