Interesting Vintage eBay Thread

UIMJ

Wow! A Mint on Card, vintage Marion... I don't see these pop up too often. I'd say that the sellers asking price is pretty steep either way though.

Mint On Card Marion

-Edit- It's an AFA, which explains the price. But still, it seems steep. I'd say with these pieces, in this market with no event to support them, a seller is better off just listing at open, low starting bid auction or holding.

UIMJ

Holy smokes! What a piece... and it's a licensed one too! I had no idea that this was manufactured...

It seems pricey, but it's also manufactured to a lesser extent that some statues. If I had the coin I'd buy it and display it next to my Sideshow and Medicom stuff!

Toy McCoy Arabian Horse, Limited to 1,000 Pieces

I had no idea that a licensed Arabian Horse was produced at this scale....

UIMJ

It's been a while since I watched the Indy market on the 'bay, but a few things caught my eye that I thought I'd share with my fellow Raiders.

Books
It seems that there are a few copies of the leather bound Ultimate Guide on the bay at the moment. This one is still relatively low, and if it sells for even twice what it's currently at, I'd call it a steal.

Ultimate Guide to Indiana Jones Leather Edition

The forums here have a lot of naysayers about this book. Some of that commentary is founded as there are some obvious omissions here and there for fans that really know the character. However, for the greater majority of us, this is a great book that is a lot of fun to hold and read through for Indyverse information and memories. The leather edition is also a great looking product that was also limited to 500, which is scarce by any terms of a collectible. By comparison, 500 copies is actually a lower print run than the production run for just about any Bowen statue produced. Also note that the other Ultimate Guides on the 'bay are still looking for a bill or more, so this is potentially a real steal. I recommend the book both as a collectible and also a really fun read.

Figures
On the action figure front, this guy has 3 MOC figs from the Disney line on sale for a paultry $9.99!!

Indiana Jones Disney 3-Figure Lot, MOC

This was a great line, and I give the seller major props for trying to move these pieces incredibly reasonably in this market. My set is all MOC, and I've got half a mind to buy these myself as openers for my display.

The only vintage, ungraded and MOC TOD Indy on the bay at the moment, and it's MOC!
Vintage Temple of Doom Indy

I'm on the fence regarding the price. It's a sagging market, and I'm pretty confident that a buyer could do better than the $225.00 asking price for the figure on auction at the moment.

Cards
The current state of Indiana Jones sketch cards is a mixed bag. People are unloading a lot of the premium cards from the set (i.e., those that are in full color, or have iconic shots by photo-accurate artists). Unfortunately, the price of Indy sketch cards is completely outlandish at the moment. There were actually better deals to be had on sketch cards when the hype was in full swing. Here's a blanket search for the sketch cards on the bay at the moment. Just peruse the list for an idea of some of the current asking prices....

Indiana Jones Random Sketch Card Search

I can only guess that many of these sellers are backwater bozo's who think they are going to retire on their leftover Indiana Jones sketch card collection. Some of the cards are absolutely great pulls (we aren't talking one of 900 crystal skull headsketches here), but the prices are out of control. I can't imagine that these cards are selling for these prices, either. I'd guess that the market isn't actually sustaining these prices, but instead that there are greedy sellers hinging bets on the random screwball who take the bait in this market.

Still, Indy Fans should keep scouring the online listings for the best deals you can find. We are in a sagging market for collectibles, and in the middle of an Indy multi-media drought. Now is the time to build your collections, but you've got to hold out for deals such as the Disney pack auction, while avoiding the cards auctions with outlandish pricing! It's a nice outlet for me in particular as I'm busy getting creamed in the over saturated Iron Man market at the moment... :whip:

Last edited:

ChromiumBlue37

The only vintage, ungraded and MOC TOD Indy on the bay at the moment, and it's MOC!
Vintage Temple of Doom Indy

I'm on the fence regarding the price. It's a sagging market, and I'm pretty confident that a buyer could do better than the $225.00 asking price for the figure on auction at the moment.

Well, I was able to score the Temple of Doom Indy. (y)
My first figure of this extremely limited LJN line. Wish I grabbed these at Circus World in the mall when I was 12 years old. There was an enormous bin of them for $1.99 each back in 1984!

UIMJ

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Well, I was able to score the Temple of Doom Indy. (y)
My first figure of this extremely limited LJN line. Wish I grabbed these at Circus World in the mall when I was 12 years old. There was an enormous bin of them for $1.99 each back in 1984!

Get outta town! Did you buy the one from the listing in the post above? Nice work on a great piece, man!

UIMJ

Here's one that I think we should all be interested in...

Indiana Jones Kenner Cardback Kit

I've got to say that I'm incredibly opposed to these kinds of things, and they have a hand in ruining the hobby. It's essentially a knock off repro card and bubble from a vintage Indy figure.

The problem with these is that they contaminate the population of remaining vintage Indy toys, and home printing is so good nowadays that you probably can't tell much of a difference between a knockoff card like this one and a real vintage card in good shape.

Of course, this is also loosely related to repro weapons, which I'm only slightly less opposed to. However, I think there is a significant difference between creating a repro weapon that is essentially identical the vintage piece that will help you complete a figure, versus recarding a loose figure that can be passed off as brand new, vintage and untouched by human hands since it's manufacture date.

I added this auction to the thread simply for the conversation of it, but the fact is that stuff like this is not good for the hobby in general. This is actually why I will never get into vintage, MOC Star Wars collecting. Yet another sign that stuff like this alienate people from the hobby rather than bringing them into it.

On another note, this guy must be out of his friggin' mind...
Disney German Mechanic $95? Huh?!

Last edited:

UIMJ

This is a great lot, but it's a real shame that the seller is asking a somewhat inflated price in this market. And his shipping for the lot is laughable...

Kenner MOC 9 Figure Lot
$325.00 BIN and 20 bucks to ship (HUH?!).

If this was in the mid 200s I'd say that it was the beginnings of a good deal, but right now it's too inflated. Even if the lot BIN was in the mid to low 200's (more accurately reflecting current market activity), I still wouldn't buy it because of the outlandish shipping. The fact is that all 9 MOC figs could probably be packed in a Priority Mail box (free) and shipped Cont US for 10 bucks. Maybe 12.

Here's a pic for posterity after the auction is over...
IndyMOCLot.gif

UIMJ

In addition to the post above, tonight I also found that eBay seller "ijonesfan" has some pretty unique stuff on his store!

eBay ijonesfan Current Listings

He's currently listing lots of interesting prototypes and whatnot!

The upside is that his selection is great, and his feedback is widely positive.

The downside are his set reserves and it's also hard to verify the validity of prototype toys as well as that of the vintage card prints. They probably aren't knockoffs (I'm guess this guys is reputable, is he a member here?), but I'm just saying.

A note for sellers:
Contrary to what we might guess, I'd say that it's not a good idea in this market to reserve your auctions. Reserves in a failing market might "protect" your investment, but it's been my experience that they also hinder bidding because people don't feel that they'll land a bidding deal, or even bid up to a reserve. I'd say that you shouldn't "Reserve" in this market. Instead, just BIN if you must have a set price.

Last edited:

UIMJ

It appears that some of the most sought after Indiana Jones cards ever produced are available on eBay at the moment. I know these aren't vintage, but they are the real deal. The prices are outlandish, but that's the catch of having these items as clearly verifiable examples of autographs from a licensed and produced card set.

It's neat to see these, but I've got to say that it's somewhat fishy that the same seller has all of these cards. He could've dropped the coin on the director autos, but the triple auto card is a 1 of 1. I always hate that because I've got the hardest time believing that it was actually pack pulled.

In any event, here we go:

Indiana Jones Masterpieces Triple Auto Card w. Ford, Spielberg & Lucas (1 of 1) | eBay Asking BIN Price: $17,999.99
TripleAutographMasterpiecesFront.jpg

TripleAutographMasterpiecesBack.jpg

Indiana Jones Masterpieces George Lucas Auto Card (2 of 7) | eBay Asking BIN Price: $6,999.99
GeorgeLucasMasterpiecesAutoFront.jpg

GeorgeLucasMasterpiecesAutoBack.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull George Lucas Auto Card
| eBay Asking BIN Price: $6999.99
GeorgeLucasKOTCSAutoFront.jpg

GeorgeLucasKOTCSAutoBack.jpg

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Steven Spielberg Auto Card | eBay Asking BIN Price: $6999.99
StevenSpielbergKOTCSAutoFront.jpg

StevenSpielbergKOTCSAutoBack.jpg

Anyone here even entertaining the idea of pulling the trigger on one of these? Because of the price point, I could see card collectors more likely to target these than hardcore Indiana Jones fans to be honest. It's the same reason that the signed Jessica Alba card from the Dark Angel set is still incredibly expensive - not due to Alba fans but card collectors.

UIMJ

I was going through a seller's store and couldn't believe it when I saw this....

I usually maintain this thread for vintage stuff that might interest my fellow Raiders, but I had to make mention of that. The guy has listed the 2009 collection's Cargo Truck (fabric canopy variant - the cool one) for $119.99?!?!

Huh?! I know that it was harder to find than the plastic top truck was, but is there something going on with that piece that I don't know about? It seems ridiculous pricing to me!

Also, on that note if anyone is looking for the cool jungle cutter pack, this guy has one listed starting at a penny. Cool jungle cutter pack = TRU Exclusive with 3 figures included. I don't know anything about him as as seller though - his feedback looks a bit shady.

Montana Smith

UIMJ said:
I was going through a seller's store and couldn't believe it when I saw this....

I usually maintain this thread for vintage stuff that might interest my fellow Raiders, but I had to make mention of that. The guy has listed the 2009 collection's Cargo Truck (fabric canopy variant - the cool one) for $119.99?!?!

Huh?! I know that it was harder to find than the plastic top truck was, but is there something going on with that piece that I don't know about? It seems ridiculous pricing to me!

Also, on that note if anyone is looking for the cool jungle cutter pack, this guy has one listed starting at a penny. Cool jungle cutter pack = TRU Exclusive with 3 figures included. I don't know anything about him as as seller though - his feedback looks a bit shady.

The fabric topped truck was a Woolworths exclusive in the UK. I only got into Indy toys after Woolworths went under, so I missed it at retail. I paid a little over the odds on Ebay, but nowhere near $119.99. As a completist I had to have it, but to be honest, I much prefer the original plastic topped version. It has a more realistic shape.

UIMJ

Montana Smith said:
The fabric topped truck was a Woolworths exclusive in the UK. I only got into Indy toys after Woolworths went under, so I missed it at retail. I paid a little over the odds on Ebay, but nowhere near $119.99. As a completist I had to have it, but to be honest, I much prefer the original plastic topped version. It has a more realistic shape.

Interesting... I didn't know that it was an exclusive anywhere. I think I found mine at a K-Mart in Illinois. I am confident that it's one of the scarcer pieces from the line, but not as scarce as the Hasbro German Soldier Indy or Dovchenko 12" figures.

I.M.J.

Speaking of the Hasbro Indiana Jones in German disguise, there's one on eBay right now and it's ridiculously cheap. This figure was selling anywhere from 70 to 95 USD in the past. That's a sign of the current market though, although I'd bet that when heads turn back towards Indiana Jones, this, the Mutt w. Jacket and Dovchenko figures will be market burners again.

Hasbro 12" Indiana Jones in German Disguise

If you want one cheap, then you'd better go after it because this listing is only active for another hour and a half or so!

I.M.J.

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Okay - HOW did I miss this one??

I have been scouring ebay for this and the Mutt in the leatherjacket figure for months!

That's why I post this stuff, man! Wish I would've seen it sooner though so you would've had more time to bid on it. The auction ended at just over 50 bucks though - actually higher than I thought it'd go in this market. Guess that's a testimony to the demand for those later 12" figures.

I just did another eBay search and I can't believe that there's not another one listed at the moment. When it pops up again I'll put it here for ya. :gun:

ChromiumBlue37

I.M.J. said:
That's why I post this stuff, man! Wish I would've seen it sooner though so you would've had more time to bid on it. The auction ended at just over 50 bucks though - actually higher than I thought it'd go in this market. Guess that's a testimony to the demand for those later 12" figures.

I just did another eBay search and I can't believe that there's not another one listed at the moment. When it pops up again I'll put it here for ya. :gun:

Oh man, thanks! This guy and the Mutt with the Crystal Skull and leather jacket have been so tough to find! Looking for both.

I.M.J.

This is currently on eBay and I couldn't resist posting it here.

Indiana Jones Fedora Keychain

FedoraKeychain.jpg

I know that keychains are not a big deal by any means, but I figured this one was very discreet yet remains identifiable enough that someone here would want it. It's only about a buck at the moment!

Also ran into this....
FordAuto.jpg

Harrison Ford Pop Century Autograph Card

It's from one of those celebrity card sets, but it's an authentic Ford autograph and it's a lot cheaper than both the Indy or Star Wars set autos. This one isn't for me, but someone here might appreciate it.

Last edited: