Ep. 4: Verdun, September 1916

Matinee Idyll

Recently got my hands on a blurry avi of this episode (thanks amule!). It's as powerful as I recall it being when I first saw it as a kid.

So much to love about this episode, though I do have a couple of complaints.

The emotional climax of the episode, with Indy blowing up the bike (with the wonderful 'Vertigo' zoom) is one of the most powerful moments in the series. Still get shivers down my spine.

The horror of the trenches is quite brilliantly contrasted with the scenes of decadent feasting among the French commanders. The masterful 'explanation' scene with the bread, beer and sausage, while slightly unbelievable is very well handled (like the 'bread cutting' in the later Russia, 1917 episode).

The Generals playing pool on the makeshift battle map is a bitterly ironic scene.

The battle scenes have more power and realism for me than the Somme episode. Most of the camera work is at eye level, really getting down on the soldiers level with some very distressing slow motion sequences. Whereas in the Somme episode, there were lots of crane shots from above, which removed me from the action. It just feels alot grittier and more real - like 'All Quiet on the Western Front' in colour.

The music during this episode is quite stunning - with the masses of choir during the battle scenes, the haunting solo piano (Moonlight Sonata-esque) when Indy visits Remy in the makeshift hosptial.

I think this is an episode that highlights one of the occasional problems with the series - The actor playing Petain for example, I had a hard time understanding. The whole time he seemed alittle uncomfortable with the English language ("What is thee porpoise of ze new atahk?"). Had the scenes with the Generals been conducted in French, it would have increased the authenticity, the drama, and some of the may have been alittle more comfortable. But this is a minor quibble.

Another slight problem I have with this episode is the way Indy seems rather naive when he visits the trenches. Whereas in the Somme episode, set months earlier, he's battle hardened and not easily fazed. This probably has to do with Sean being unsure of how to play the scenes - this was the first time we saw him during the war, remember. Anywho, easily ignored.

ycal07.jpg

All in all, a pretty extraordinary piece of television... very moving.

Don Karnage

I have never seen this episode but I have read the book version of it so many times ive worn the book out. I hope to see it one day as it is just a fantastic story.

IkoJones

I love this episode and have seen it many times. Especially I like the end where Indy drives the motorcycle, then the soldiers awaiting the order of death for them and to all of that plays beautiful Dies Irae. Simply terrific. Best episode I've seen. But in this case the old Indy is what destroys the athmosphere of thinking about the meaningless of war... (imho)

:hat:

Matinee Idyll

Damn, really? You think Old Indy kills the end?

It's his line; "The attack was delayed and 10,000 men lived a day longer..." that really highlights the futility (and irony of his actions).

I'll upload the last 5 minutes to Youtube - it's just stunning.

Last edited:

Matinee Idyll

Here are the final gripping moments of the episode, truly amazing.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oaI9fClHb1k"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oaI9fClHb1k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Bullwhip

Don Karnage said:
v nice. good ending.

i hope they release them on dvd some day...

That someday will come later this year. :)

Thanks for the upload, Matinee. I thought Old Indy was great.

Last edited:

Bullwhip

Blasphemy!

You know, Old Indy had a daughter and some grandkids. Maybe one of the reasons he's been retconned out of canon is because of what we learn in Indy 4 (not sure about how spoilerific the revelation is so I'm not mentioning specifics, but wink wink).

Don Karnage

i thought it was rather poignant having him in. Here he is telling this huge story of death and courage and duty (whatever they might mean) and the guy next to him falls asleep.

way to go marv... :sleep:

Adamwankenobi

Don Karnage said:
i hope they release them on dvd some day...

Indeed. Unfortunately, it looks like the REAL young Indy episodes will be forever locked up by Lucas, a la Raiders of the Lost Ark's's final scene. :(

Matinee Idyll

Don Karnage said:
i thought it was rather poignant having him in. Here he is telling this huge story of death and courage and duty (whatever they might mean) and the guy next to him falls asleep.

But even more than this, the Old Indy segments show that we as a species continually fail to learn from our collective history. The 'Wizard of Wall Street' is unable to see the connection between his own actions and those of the French Generals. This says alot about us as human beings.

We aren't capable of seeing the similarities, or learning from the mistakes - and are thus 'doomed to repeat them'.

Old Indy is an essential part of the show for this reason. Highlighting the vicious cycle of human affairs.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Adamwankenobi said:
forever locked up by Lucas, a la Raiders of the Lost Ark's's final scene. :(
Do you have any _real_ proof that it actually exists?

Adamwankenobi

VP said:
Do you have any _real_ proof that it actually exists?

That what exists? The Old Indy footage?!? What a silly question if that's what you're asking. I've seen it on TV and my recordings, and so have many others. And Lucas isn't Kubrick. Lucas keeps all his stuff.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The thing that I quoted, the scene where the US logo burns off the crate after the credits.

Matinee Idyll

Something that's always confused me about this episode - why would Big Berthas have doomed the attack? Wouldn't these huge cannons have been shelling the French trenches anyway?

Don Karnage

not nessesairily.

quick overview of trench warfare:

as described in the book and show, trenches offered fairly good protection from bullets and even shells as well (the shell has to blow above the trench or in the trench to have an effect)

so with two opposing lines of well protected forces, random shelling was wasteful in the sense that it wouldnt have put many men out of the fight (although as a psychological weapon it is very high up on the list, despite how few casualties there may be)

in the attack artillery was used to make the other side duck (and die) while your own side would charge across no mans land and hopefuly make it into the trench to begin fighting.

in the D, with avenues of approach and blind spots all mapped out in accordance with your obstacle plan it was a pretty sure bet where to aim to kill the most amount of attackers. The bigger the gun, the better this would be for you.

so in short, the germans would have been saving those guns for when they needed them and since the Germans were in a defensive posture, they didnt have much need to use them outside of defence.

IndyJr.

Verdun, 1916

The absolute best Young Indiana Jones episode I think I've ever seen. The script was fantastic, the mood, the action, the drama, the score. Everything was perfect!

The scene when the General of the French Army called that guy and ordered the attack to continue and the lower rank officer said he wouldn't (because he couldn't) He then laid down the rules that the General HIMSELF laid down! The mood of that scene. The dark background (and not fully being able to see the General's face) as well as the music made that a truly wonderful scene. Then Indy on the bike to give the written order! The charge! The music!

Everything about this episode was well done and well planned out. Every time I've ever seen it, it makes the hair on my back raise and I get chills!