General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Perhilion

Harrison Ford to Shia LaBeouf: "Get your own hat!"

So in the new issue of Time they had an interview with Ford, where he mostly talks about his new movie Extraordinary Measures. My favorite part was this:
Would you give the fedora over to Shia LaBeouf in the next Indiana Jones movie?
What are you talking about? It's mine. I would love to do another Indiana Jones movie. George Lucas is working on an idea now. Shia can get his own hat. I earned that hat.
(y)

DocWhiskey

Haha. Nice find.

I agree with good 'ol Ford.

Speaking of I have the perfect hat for Shia:

rkwynl.jpg

:p

lao che & sons

this latest interview sounds very promising. Just because of the last part. I think they're really trying to keep everything a secret right now. Until the big anouncement. ;)

In the last week ... in the last MONTH we've had so much Indiana Jones 5 little tid-bits from Harrison Ford. (y)

DocWhiskey

He looks surprisingly old in that video. He almost *gulp* looks his age. Was he holding in the "oldness" for Indy 4 and when that was over he let it all go? :p Maybe it's the fact that he's next to that heavily photoshopped poster behind him. That's how he looked in the 90's for cripes sake!

But the end was funny. Another alien whiner. :whip:

YouNeverKnow

I love the end of that interview. Harrison himself (although I don't personally agree) thinks the aliens angle was tripe. Now I don't see his "Just between you and me..." to be a clear indication that they are close to agreeing on something, but rather that he will only agree if there are no aliens.

I for one take heart! I'm glad everything he's been saying is pretty positive and I'm glad many of the interviewers are looking for news. Hopefully this shows Lucas that there is mega interest there and I would hope spurs him on to earn that green! (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the Time video. start at 2:50. He looks great, lighting is everything.
http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,61786770001_1953871,00.html
Ford: "Is she kidding? What do you mean, give it to Shia? Waht are you talking about? It's mine. I don't think it becomes neccessary to give him the fedora. I'd love to do another Indiana Jones. What I'd like to do is share the opportunities that that new character presents in exploring the relationship between those two characters, much in the way that the whole enterprise was reinvigorated by bringing Sean in as my father. So I'd like to see that play out. I'd love to do another one of those movies. We're wo... George is working on an idea now. If George and Steven and I can all agree on it I'd be happy to do it. [Shia] can get a hat of his own. I earned that hat."

Darth Vile

I think Ford looks amazingly good in both the interviews (has he had some eye work?).

It's difficult to know how to interpret his responses to the Indy 5 questions. Clearly he wants to do another one, and logic tells me that if he thought another one was in doubt, he'd just say "no plans" as a standard response (although he did say "don't hold your breath)...

RedeemedChild

Hopefully the next Indiana Jones movie will be centered around the Journey to the West epic and have Dr. Jones and Mutt on a quest to India in search for the Sutras of Enlightened and shards of the Celestial Chalice and the long lost Monkey King.

Hmm I have a idea what should be in the next film. Have Indy and Mutt search for the lost Treasures of King Solomon, remember Solomon had twelve golden lions, well Indy and Mutt could search for the twelve golden lions.

"And twelve lions stood there on the one side and on the other upon the six steps" 1 Kings 10:20

IndyWolf15 said:
Hmm I have a idea what should be in the next film. Have Indy and Mutt search for the lost Treasures of King Solomon, remember Solomon had twelve golden lions, well Indy and Mutt could search for the twelve golden lions. "And twelve lions stood there on the one side and on the other upon the six steps" 1 Kings 10:20

Indy already found them...didn't you see that movie?

sandiegojones

I think they have to do something fresh. They've done the Judeo-Christian artifacts (the two best ones). Revisiting Jewish and Christian relics is too predictable perhaps. They've already proven the power of God and of Christ in prior films so there's no question about the mystical qualities of a religious macguffin.

I think that's why they gravitated towards aliens for #4. It was a departure from the formula. The aliens and ancient pyramids connection has become popular over the past 30 years, even if it's still only perhaps 25% of the masses who believe in that stuff. It's still "mysterious" and the construction of the pyramids to this day unexplained (at least in Egypt), which is why I feel KOTCS still works as an Indy film. There is real history to it even if it's Sci-Fi.

If they were to go back and use Judeo-Christian relics then I would love an adventure about the Spear of Destiny. It was the spear used by Longinus to pierce Jesus's side during the crucifixion and became a religious weapon used in the Crusades by knights to fight Muslim invaders. The myth says that they used the spear to raise a dead army which helped them defend Jerusalem. Imagine escaped Nazi's trying to get that to rebuild their army! This is likely too close to the Grail though and why I think they go far away from standard religious objects.

I had thought they could perhaps have Indy search for a Muslim relic in a 5th film, but I doubt very much that they'd want to support or legitimize that faith given the radical terrorism and the way women are treated. Plus, who needs the backlash from fanatics! We all saw what Muslims did when there was a small cartoon depicting Muhammad and how Muslims have fire bombed churches in Malaysia recently because they use "Allah" as a reference for God too. I don't think it's worth it just to give Indy something to search for.

I think Norse mythology (Hammer of Thor, Odin's Spear) or Greek/Roman Gods (Zeus' Thunderbolt, Poseidon's Trident) could be a good angle. It may be tough to reconcile the "one true God" of Raiders with multiple pagan Gods (at least with aliens God is still likely their creator), but since they had already done voodoo and black magic in "Doom" I think it can work.

Whatever they come up with, I'll surely be very curious to see it!

Montana Smith

RedeemedChild said:
Hopefully the next Indiana Jones movie will be centered around the Journey to the West epic and have Dr. Jones and Mutt on a quest to India in search for the Sutras of Enlightened and shards of the Celestial Chalice and the long lost Monkey King.

Indiana Jones and the Kama Sutra?

sandiegojones said:
I think Norse mythology (Hammer of Thor, Odin's Spear) or Greek/Roman Gods (Zeus' Thunderbolt, Poseidon's Trident) could be a good angle. It may be tough to reconcile the "one true God" of Raiders with multiple pagan Gods (at least with aliens God is still likely their creator), but since they had already done voodoo and black magic in "Doom" I think it can work.

I like the idea of a Norse mythology, with the chance of sending Indy into the far north, and maybe an entrance into the hollow earth. I don't think that the Indy series is locked down to any "one true God", since the Inter-Dimensionals opened everything up, and the world can still remain supernatural and unexplained to him.

Darth Vile

Apart from Raiders perhaps, one thing that the Indy movies have taught us is that the relic/Macguffin is largely academic (excuse the pun). It's really about how the relic is weaved into the story... doesn't really matter wether it's the sacred sandal of Jesus or the used tissue of Ravi Shanka. ;)