The Browning 9mm in Raiders: Continuity mistake, or back up gun?

Raiders90

During the Raiders bar fight, we see Indy use both his normal revolver and a Browning 9MM pistol, which leads me to wonder--Did Indy pack that extra gun with him and we just weren't shown it or did he pick it up during the fight?

Chewbacca Jones

It has been established that Indy had the Browning in his bag as a back-up. I used to think it was just a continuity error, but if you watch closely, you will see Indy taking cover when the revolver is empty, about to do "something." Next shot, he's go the browning.

Raiders90

Chewbacca Jones said:
It has been established that Indy had the Browning in his bag as a back-up. I used to think it was just a continuity error, but if you watch closely, you will see Indy taking cover when the revolver is empty, about to do "something." Next shot, he's go the browning.

Ah ok. I wasn't sure if it was really his gun or simply picked up in the chaos of the bar fight. But that's cool to see he thought outside the box and took along a second gun just in case.

And if I'm not mistaken we see him load the Browning later during the Banthu Wind scene--After the Cairo street fight in which he used the revolver. So he did bring along the two of them from the get-go. It'd have been nice to have seen him do so in TOD or LC.

indyclone25

well in regards to indy carrying the two guns , when in a gunfight like indy gets himself into , it is wiser to carry two guns, cause you have to think he has so many shots in the s&w and it would take time to reload if he has that second gun he can just pull it out and continue his barrage of gunfire .:gun:

Hammy Skillet

Remember-Temple of Doom was a prequel. And in that movie he lost his one and only gun in the opening moments of the film. He decided not to make that mistake twice.

But it makes me wonder about the pocket knife.

It's a useful enough tool, and we see it once in Raiders, yet by the time of Crystal Skull he apparently no longer carries it. For some reason.

Raiders90

I've always wondered whether Indy having a Browning 9mm as well as the Webley was simply just a continuity mistake (using the wrong prop or whatever) or if the intention was, at least in Raiders, for Indy to carry a back up gun? What do you guys think?

JackBurton

Definitely backup gun. He also "use" it on the Bantu Wind.
The complete Making Of also shows both props (the SW and the Browning HP), it was intended that he carries two guns.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
I've always wondered whether Indy having a Browning 9mm as well as the Webley was simply just a continuity mistake (using the wrong prop or whatever) or if the intention was, at least in Raiders, for Indy to carry a back up gun? What do you guys think?
Raiders, you already started a thread on this last year: Did Indy pack two guns?
Raiders112390 said:
During the Raiders bar fight, we see Indy use both his normal revolver and a Browning 9MM pistol, which leads me to wonder--Did Indy pack that extra gun with him and we just weren't shown it or did he pick it up during the fight?

Montana Smith

It would be a pretty big continuity error to confuse a S&W revolver with a blocky semi-automatic. There again, the same guys were responsible for KOTCS! ;)

To up the ante in the Raven gunfight Indy needed to be able to despatch more bullets, or else it would have been a short gunfight, and a much shorter movie...

alotofmaryskid

I would like to think it is a backup...but I'm pretty sure it is a continuity error or, more likely, an editing mistake. Kinda like the lightsaber switch in ROTS. Some scene was probably cut that would have explained it.

Chewbacca Jones

Before I was a member of any Indy fan communities, I always assumed that it was a deliberate continuity error. An homage to old movies that often made such terrible blunders... and some that still do. But since getting involved more deeply, I can not overlook the reappearance of the Browning on the Bantu Wind. Clearly, he's supposed to have two guns in Raiders.

For those who wonder why we never see it in Cairo, keep in mind that production ran into issues with firearm props in different filming locations. So much so that Indy is seen carrying two different revolvers, even after surrendering the first to Belloq at the start of the movie. So, who knows if they could even get the Browning to the Tunisia shoot.

Lance Quazar

Hammy Skillet said:
It's a useful enough tool, and we see it once in Raiders, yet by the time of Crystal Skull he apparently no longer carries it. For some reason.

Indy also has a cigarette lighter in LC, even though he's not a smoker. Useful item for him to carry, though, seeing how often he's in dark caves and whatnot.

But I'm sure some days he's just in a hurry when he leaves the house.

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Indy also has a cigarette lighter in LC, even though he's not a smoker. Useful item for him to carry, though, seeing how often he's in dark caves and whatnot.
Indy borrowed the cigarette lighter from Elsa and never gave it back. He's not just a grave robber, he's a ZIPPO robber!:eek:
Chewbacca Jones said:
Clearly, he's supposed to have two guns in Raiders.
Which you already explained to Raiders112390 last year...As Marion Ravenwood once said: "It must have slipped his mind." (Lights cigarette);)

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Indy borrowed the cigarette lighter from Elsa and never gave it back. He's not just a grave robber, he's a ZIPPO robber!:eek:
Which you already explained to Raiders112390 last year...As Marion Ravenwood once said: "It must have slipped his mind." (Lights cigarette);)

In a deleted scene, he drops the lighter into the bottomless pit with Elsa as a last goodbye.