Fate of Atlantis hints and tech help

Adventurer

You´re under 98, wich is more or less still DOS, but maybe this helps. It´s a program called "DOSBox". It emulates a complete 286/386 unter Windows.
You can get it here: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

In case you try this, don´t forget to download "Dobofro" in the download section. This is a windows frontend for DOSBox, which works pretty well.

With DOSBox, i got FOA to work under WinXP inclusive mouse and sound. (Even the talkie version worked. That means, the music, the sound effects AND the speech)

If the above does not help, take a look under the link section. There are TONS of utilities to run old games, especially for Lucasarts Games, like ScummMV.

Good luck

Gagnosity

I am getting a little bit agitated with the stone puzzle in the Crete ruins. My dialogue says "To approach Atlantis...with darkness ruling the old city without challenge." I have aligned the city and the darkness in every possible way, but nothing is happening. Am I missing something, or have I happened upon a glitch? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clintwood

Ther is a lot of walkthroughs for this game availible on the internet. I recomend you to download one toassist you in your quest.

Regarding Crete, I have copied this from: http://www.gamexperts.com/index.php?cheat_id=3427

Don't even bother going to the left. There's nothing there in this path. Go to the right and you'll find a pedestal. Use the stones on it. Look at it. As I've said before, the alignment changes from game to game. Here are some that I've seen. Plato: With the darkest night healed by the full moon. Answer: Align the darkness symbol on the sunstone with the tall horns and then align the full moon with it. Plato: With pale dawn shredding the darkest night. Answer: Match the rising sun with the tall horns, and then align it with the new moon. Once you've done it right, a secret door will open. Enter....NOW!

I'll hope this will help you!

Loeryn

Hey I am a long time indy fan, I recently replayed Fate of Atlantis and I got stuck on the third spindle problem in the room with the minature of the city. The dialouge says "With darkness ruling the city without challenge. Well I set the darkness and city but what for the moon? I tried every moon phase and it won't work. Could anyone help me out?

EDIT: Ok I feel bad for posting something like this that you get a lot and I leafed through old posts and walkthroughs, the only info I could find was "align darkness and city" which I already knew. No combinations with darkness and city will work though!

[Edited by Loeryn on 11-17-2003 at 04:23 pm]

MP3

Hmmmmm... I could be wrong, since I haven't played FoA in several months, but perhaps you should align darkness, the city, and a moon phase - but NOT near the "tall horns" - i.e. the lineup of the three symbols can be pointing for the center to the left, right, or down - not necessarily up...

Finn

Staff member
Okay, the point with these stone puzzles are that the earlier disks come the same way they did with two earlier puzzles.

Put the sunstone the same way you used it in the desert dig/Thera (considering which path you're playing), then align the moonstone the same way it was when opening the door to catacombs.

When you have the two like this, put the city in direction the darkness is now, DO NOT ALIGN THE DARKNESS WITH THE HORNS if it already isn't and put the city in the direction the darkness is now, NEVER MIND if it isn't pointing at the horns.

Oh, and if this is not helpful, you can type in what the dialogue says about the stones and I'll tell you how you should align them. ;)

[Edited by Finn on 11-18-2003 at 08:24 am]

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Hey guys,

Anyone know how I can get Fate of Atlantis to run on Windows XP? I am using the CD-ROM "talkie" version.

Thanks,
Mike

Jay R. Zay

a question

i'm playing Fate of Atlantis again and i'm stuck exactly at the same problem again as the first time i've tried.

i'm inside the map room on crete and i simply can't find the correct combination for the disks.

in plato's book it says (appr. translation):

"to reach atlantis, add the worldstone (or whatever it's called in english - the smallest stone), when the darkest night is over the western sea. only the different-minded may enter."

so i've tried (top to bottom) night, new moon, western sea. and because of this different-minded stuff, i've also tried (day|fullmoon|west) and (day|fullmoon|east) and i've placed the city on the top (=north) side of the screen so that the western sea is on left (=right) side and then i've tried (left to right) night, new moon, western sea again.

nothing happens. does anybody have ANY ideas? did i miss something? i have no idea how to go on. i've searched for a help page, but it only says "align the disks as it is written in the book", which isn't a great help either.

i'd be very grateful if somebody could help me with this problem. it didn't seem to work a few years ago and it doesn't seem to work today. crap. :(

Jay R. Zay

ah the combination was rising sun, full moon, eastern sea. how the hell was i supposed to find out? i've tried the combinations one by one. had to do about 3/4 but it didn't take this long. just in case somebody's interested. :whip: this was bull**** but the game nevertheless is great.

Finn

Staff member
No BS here. It's a great game.

This comes a little late anyway, but as repeated over and over again, the trick here is that the way you placed your earlier disks doesn't change between locations.

You placed rising sun by the horns in the Dig Site/Thera (don't ask me how I know, I just do). On the labyrinth entrance... you still place rising sun by the horns and full moon over it. So... now you're in the map room, right? Once again. Place rising sun and full moon by the horns. Then you were supposed to see where night was pointed in the diagram now (left, right?) and align the western sea left as well. Simple.

Just place the other two stones in the exact same way than you did with the two earlier locations and then the last one by the book. Even if you still don't get how the worldstone is supposed to go, placing your two other stones in the way you placed 'em on the labyrinth entrance reduces the amount of your tries to four at maximum. ;)

michaeloh6

Tech help with Fate of Atlantis?

Hey Everyone..

I'm trying to rehash some great gaming memories and play Fate of Atlantis. However, everytime I try to run it, I get this error: "can't open monster.sou".

Somewhere, somehow...there is a sound conflict going on I believe...however, since I am running XP...I cannot remedy by using the good old DOS edit of autoexec.bat

Is there anyone who can offer some advice? Would love to replay this one...

Thanks a lot,

Michael

macwizard

I'd recommend trying a program called ScummVm. It can play any game based on the SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) engine. I would also recommend playing Last Crusade Graphic Adventure on this system. They also have a version for those mac users out there.

Abe Vayoda

Running Fate of Atlantis on a Mac

Okay, so I've got a copy of Fate of Atlantis for my Mac, but the game won't run on it. Is there anything I can do to run the game on my mac?
The game is the mac version.

Thanks

Abe Vayoda

THANKS!!! You are too cool. I haven't played this game in so long, works fine now. Wish I still had the manual for it. Don't remember how to use the controls. Also, when does the bottom text option showup? Great game nevertheless.