• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Drones33

Yeah I think it should work. I was toying with the idea of going for nubuck as I previously mentioned, but I got an email from Wested, with some pictures of their current batch and saying that they have an LC in nubuck, size 38, which had been custom made and returned. They said I could have that for £169, and if I didn't like it could have a full refund, which was very nice of them, but not only would it have been a little too small, I must say I wasn't very impressed with the look of the nubuck. Instead of the waxy finish I would have expected it looked like a very flat, chestnut brown suede. Not what I had in mind at all, so I went for DB Novapelle.
I've ordered slightly different specs to those of my custom Raiders and LC;

Raiders/LC.
40" chest.
25" sleeve.
26" back.

TOD
40" chest
24.5" sleeve
26.5" back

Major West

Yep that sounds right. :hat: Good specs. I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the Dark Novapelle when it first arrives before you treat it if you get the chance.:hat: I suspect it will be a good choice for an Indy jacket.

Drones33

Have a look at this gentlemen. You may be aware of this already but I've only recently become aware of it; Aero Leather.
I thought they just made motorcycle leathers, (a mate of mine who's into his motorbikes wears one) but that's not the case. What they make, by hand, are accurate reproductions of leather jackets from the 1930's and 40's. Not Indy jackets of course, and they are expensive, from around £500 to £700, but they are beautiful vintage style pieces custom made from a selection of about 20 skins with a choice of linings including Harris tweed, moleskin and Alpaka wool. Most impressive.
I love my Indy jackets as you boys know, but it occurrs to me that it might be nice to have a jacket that has that great 30's look but is just a bit different.
Give 'em a look. ( Hopefully the link below will work.)

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=classicleather

Drones33

Temple Jacket

Here`s a few photos of my new TOD. The first 2 are as it was on arrival, before I`d even tried it on. I put it with my authentic lamb Raiders for colour comparison...
temple_1_1_by_00177840-dab2bc8.jpg

temple4_1_by_00177840-dab2bhy.jpg

The next few are after a quick soak with the shower and one day`s wear. Ive included a couple of close ups so that hopefully the grain of the novapelle is visible...
worn_temple1_1_by_00177840-dab2oae.jpg

worn_temple_2_1_by_00177840-dab2obf.jpg

worn_temple_3_1_by_00177840-dab2od9.jpg

worn_temple4_1_by_00177840-dab2ofu.jpg

On the whole I`m very impressed with it. The slight slouch of the shoulder and absence of facings are reminiscent of the Hero, but its a much better fit, certainly in my case being fairly tall and slim. Its quite heavy so will definitely be for the cooler weather, and I`m glad to say its a bit darker than I`d expected. A great addition to the collection.(y)

Major West

Wow, excellent. Thanks for posting the pics. Looking good.(y) I think that's a great colour for the TOD, and skin choice. Especially the picture after it's had a bit of wear and wetting.

If that was mine, I'd allow the wear to happen (either naturally or artificially) and not do anything else to it as I think it's turned out well.(y)

Good to see that you still get zip waver on a heavier skin, I wondered about that.

Last edited:

FloW

Hello folks! I bought 2007 on ebay an old brown leather jacket with red inner lining for 50 Euro. Nobody can say details about it. Member of COW told me 2007 it could be a leather jacket from Greece. Feel free to speculate a bit. Which producer could it be? Fact is it fits me.

attachments.php

attachments.php

Last edited:

Drones33

Major West said:
Wow, excellent. Thanks for posting the pics. Looking good.(y) I think that's a great colour for the TOD, and skin choice. Especially the picture after it's had a bit of wear and wetting.

If that was mine, I'd allow the wear to happen (either naturally or artificially) and not do anything else to it as I think it's turned out well.(y)

Good to see that you still get zip waver on a heavier skin, I wondered about that.
Thanks, I'm really pleased with it. My only minor niggle is the pockets are just a bit to small to be practical. Great jacket in every other respect though. I can see why it's your favourite of the three. And your right, no further weathering required.

P.s. Hiya FloW, welcome aboard. That's a great looking jacket you have there, tons of character.

Glenville86 said:
Jacket looks very good. Congratulations!
Thanks Glenville. How's that horsehide TOD of yours doing?

Last edited by a moderator:

FloW

THANKS Drones33!

Your Wested jackets are brilliant! I own a new Wested Indyshirt and I'm happy with it. I like Peter's work. He checked my leather jacket on Euro Indy Summit 2007 on his Wested ranch. He was very interested. I told him that this jacket probably was designed by Hidesign in Greece in the 1980s. He love the story about Greece because he appreciates this countryside. :hat:

Major West

Drones33 said:
My only minor niggle is the pockets are just a bit to small to be practical. Great jacket in every other respect though. I can see why it's your favourite of the three.

That's true about the pockets, but at least you know that's screen accurate (and is one of the features that distinguishes it from the other jackets). My phone usually sticks out the top,with flap sticking up, but the benefit is the pockets get a nicely worn in look faster. (y) I think the ToD jacket does have a badass look about it that makes up for the small impracticalities.:whip:

_ _

Nice jacket Flow. Not sure who the vendor of that would be.

Glenville86

Drones33 said:
Thanks, I'm really pleased with it. My only minor niggle is the pockets are just a bit to small to be practical. Great jacket in every other respect though. I can see why it's your favourite of the three. And your right, no further weathering required.

P.s. Hiya FloW, welcome aboard. That's a great looking jacket you have there, tons of character.

Thanks Glenville. How's that horsehide TOD of yours doing?

My horsehides are waiting for Winter.......

Major West

We've had quite warm/hot weather for all the last week or two and on one of the days I wanted to wear one of my jackets. None of the Authentic lamb jackets were suitable as I heated up within minutes, but strangely the pre-distressed hide jacket was nice and cool. Was able to wear it all morning.

Drones33

Surprisingly warm, lambskin. I rather like like the way it goes very soft after wearing it in warm weather for a while.

Lately Ive been thinking about going for something in horse hide, just because its a hide Ive never had. Some of the skins used by Aero and Simmons Bilt look amazing.

Drones33

Temple Jacket fit/ Novapelle Vs Authentic Lambskin in direct sunlight

Just a couple of shots of the fit my new TOD after a couple of weeks wear...
temple_jacket_5_by_00177840-dacytws.jpg

The novapelle moves, drapes and creases beautifully.
temple_jacket_1_by_00177840-dacytwh.jpg

And two photos showing the differences between DB novapelle and authentic lamb in direct sunlight...
Lambskin
temple_raiders_5_by_00177840-dacytmi.jpg

Novapelle
temple_raiders_3_by_00177840-dacytmc.jpg

Major West

Looks really good. In terms of colour on camera, they both look similar.

I made a spontaneous trip to Wested this week. Ended up buying another jacket. (y) I usually fall between sizes, as a 41" chest measurment so I order a 42" usually. Which is a good middle ground and allows for layering in colder weather, and is the recomended thing to do, but I've been getting fitter lately and when i measured myself this week I was bang on a 40" chest. Then it started to fester in my mind how a 40" IJ jacket would look on me. I toyed with the idea of ordering a custom in 40", but then I'm in unfamiliar sizing territory with regards to sleeve and back length (fine when ordering a 42"), so I thought an OTR would be the best option, then I've also got a jacket I can use as a reference for measuring and any future customs in that size. I did try on both a LC and Raiders in 40, but went with the Raiders (what I wanted more). Job done.

I had a quick glance around at other leathers on the rack, I think they might be using a different batch of predistressed hide now. It looked darker and softer.

Last edited:

Drones33

Thanks, I was quite lucky with the colour I think, I've seen pics where the db nov can look very pale grey, almost lilac. I'm really pleased with the way it's turned out in terms of colour and fit. And as you say, some fairly SA sleeve wrinkle.(y)

So I assume your new Raiders is authentic lamb? How does the otr compare to the skin they use for the customs would you say? Any discernible difference or pretty much the same do you think?