Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Less Bruckheimer (and even his stuff has gone bad), Disney has a spotty track record on male targeted films -- I'm thinking Treasure Planet and Atlantis -- and the Cars franchise has always been repugnant to me. I would say there's a decent chance Disney again misses the mark with this film and it's squeezy robot angle because young boys will reject it because it's either a little creepy or lacking (I don't know to say this) an edge.

Don't want to be the one to remind someone of one's age but...Atlantis and Treasure Planet were made over a decade ago, the Walt Disney Company, especially the animation department, is a totally different beast than it was back then(pretty much started when Iger took over and with the purchase of Pixar a few months later), so apples and oranges. Based on the marketing, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job selling the character Baymax, something those other two movies never achieved at, I also think they're doing a good job selling the action without making it feel like another superhero movie.

Quote:
I just asked him if he wants to see BH6 and he said he'd rather see Guardians of the Galaxy again (a lot of his friends saw it several times in theatre but I'd have none of that -- apart from Cherry Bomb I'm not the biggest fan of the film).

My point? Kids in BH6's target age don't distinguish between live action and animation. And all these kids have just come off recently watching a wildly entertaining and edgy blockbuster. So right now, Guardians sets the bar and I'm afraid the goofy, adventurous BH6 will come up short (especially with Katniss looming on the near horizon).

Interesting for you to compare Guardians with Big Hero 6, as that film also had some people skeptical of its success before its release, mostly people wondering if anyone would be interested in superheroes outside the well-known ones. Since it proved to be the biggest 2014 film so far, I think Big Hero 6 has the chance to be a success.

As I see it, the two films best comparable to BH6 are Wreck-It-Ralph and The Incredibles. The former because it was the most recent hit Disney has had with a male-targeted audience(having the "From the Makers of Wreck-It-Ralph tag in the trailer will help), the later because because that too was a superhero film that had the challenge of being a follow-up to a huge smash-hit (Finding Nemo). The Incredibles wasn't quite as big of a success as that fish film, but it was still a very profitable and successful film in its own right (that's finally getting a sequel) I imagine that will be the case with Big Hero 6 following Frozen.

Also, I got to see the "Sneak Peak" yesterday at Disneyland. It was basically a few clips, which included the "Scale from 1-10" clip posted, but also a couple new ones: including an introductory of the other 4 "heros", with the trailer tagged at the very end. (not as impressive as say, the first 15-20 minutes of the movie like I was hoping, but hey I got a free kite which is cool right?)

From what I could tell, the entire audience seemed really enthusiastic, eager to see more.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #27
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Don't want to be the one to remind someone of one's age but...Atlantis and Treasure Planet were made over a decade ago, the Walt Disney Company, especially the animation department, is a totally different beast than it was back then(pretty much started when Iger took over and with the purchase of Pixar a few months later), so apples and oranges.

Valid point on my use of stale precedent -- I was trying to go with animation and frankly didn't even know of Wreck-it-Ralph's existence. My bad. I did however hint at Disney's recent live action missteps with Bruckheimer's Prince of Persia, Pirates sequels, and Lone Ranger. And since you brought up Pixar, I'd say Disney had 'the' epic fail with giving the Pixar golden boy a blank check to do John Carter. Now you can say, 'But Joe, that's live action" -- to which I would say, there's no way all the green lights and budget decisions for these films -- live action or animated -- are being made at just the studio level. So I do lay the collective RECENT live action and animation failure at Disney current leadership's feet. If all you got is Wreck-It-Ralph, you don't got much. Thinking about it for a second, has Disney done any decent guy targeted live action movies in recent memory apart from the first Pirates, Tron and that Paul Walker husky-dog movie? I usually look for Roundshort or Pale on these things.

Quote:
Based on the marketing, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job selling the character Baymax, something those other two movies never achieved at, I also think they're doing a good job selling the action without making it feel like another superhero movie.

I'll show my age again here. As a young kid I remember similar pre-release gushing over the robots in The Black Hole. Yeah, look how that turned out.

Now let's compare. Watch the Guardians trailer with Rocket talking smack and grabbing his crotch (which is tacky and not to my taste). My son still cracks up over the 12%-of-a-plan exchange. Now watch Baymax in the kids bedroom knocking over some books with his large posterior and getting his gut stuffed into an armored girdle. I may well be wrong but do you seriously think boys are going to go for that?

Quote:
Interesting for you to compare Guardians with Big Hero 6, as that film also had some people skeptical of its success before its release, mostly people wondering if anyone would be interested in superheroes outside the well-known ones. Since it proved to be the biggest 2014 film so far, I think Big Hero 6 has the chance to be a success.

As I see it, the two films best comparable to BH6 are Wreck-It-Ralph and The Incredibles. The former because it was the most recent hit Disney has had with a male-targeted audience(having the "From the Makers of Wreck-It-Ralph tag in the trailer will help), the later because because that too was a superhero film that had the challenge of being a follow-up to a huge smash-hit (Finding Nemo). The Incredibles wasn't quite as big of a success as that fish film, but it was still a very profitable and successful film in its own right (that's finally getting a sequel) I imagine that will be the case with Big Hero 6 following Frozen.

You make the call -- will BH6 do better box office than Wreck-It-Ralph? And if so, by how much and what does it need to be a hit?
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #28
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
So I do lay the collective RECENT live action and animation failure at Disney current leadership's feet. If all you got is Wreck-It-Ralph, you don't got much. Thinking about it for a second, has Disney done any decent guy targeted live action movies in recent memory apart from the first Pirates, Tron and that Paul Walker husky-dog movie? I usually look for Roundshort or Pale on these things.

I assume you mean apart from their recent, successful Marvel films?

I wouldn't say there's anything overtly "girly" about films like WDA's Bolt or Pixar's Up, Toy Story 3, Monsters University... although I'd accept the argument that they may seem more like a neutral "kid targeted" than necessarily "guy targeted." (Although one could argue that this would also be the case with Big Hero 6.)
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #29
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
I assume you mean apart from their recent, successful Marvel films?

[In my best Brad Pitt Detective Mills voice]Exactly. A major driver behind the Marvel acquisition was that Disney wasn't successful with its male targeted efforts (not to mention that the Marvel strategy has turned out to be a license to print money]. And that's what you do in the corporate world, if you can't fix a problem you buy your way out. Most acquisitions fail. Credit to the great Disney M&A team for what was a lightning fast deal in buying Marvel -- and credit to Disney for staying hands off with Marvel. Winter Soldier is a stand out -- but I don't give Disney creative credit for that -- I give them huge points for their restraint. Here's hoping they keep it up.

[Similarly, Disney only gets partial credit for Pixar since they bought that too and Pixar's not exactly what it once was, right?]
Old 10-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #30
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

I also want to add to Joe that Disney films(which includes Marvel) is really the
last case scenario where word-of-mouth can really have an big effect. Assuming the reviews for Big Hero 6 are as strong as the ones for Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen, then I can really see people talking about this movie and seeing it in theaters in January. That's what happened with Frozen.

To try to keep news flowing in this thread, this just got rated PG.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #31
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
-- are being made at just the studio level. So I do lay the collective RECENT live action and animation failure at Disney current leadership's feet. If all you got is Wreck-It-Ralph, you don't got much. Thinking about it for a second, has Disney done any decent guy targeted live action movies in recent memory apart from the first Pirates, Tron and that Paul Walker husky-dog movie? I usually look for Roundshort or Pale on these things.

You make the call -- will BH6 do better box office than Wreck-It-Ralph? And if so, by how much and what does it need to be a hit?

I have to agree with JB here. Disney has sucked for cashing on good old boy money and HAD to buy Marvel. Cars was a huge bang in that market and Disney is doing all it can to collect (Cars2, the Airplane movies, the HUGE investments CARS land in the parks.

Wreck it Ralph is not even a blimp and had zero after movie dollars in merchandise.

It seems like Disney has almost given up on tryignto cash in on boys and trying to pick the pockets of middleaged males who grew up to live action Disney movies - with middle aged movies - Million Dollar Arm, Saving Mr Banks. etc.

In the next cpl of years they want to cash in on guys by doing the same thing - Jungle Cruise, 2 new POTC movies, 20,000 leagues NEMO, Swiss Family, Tron 3, National Treasure 3 (really?)

looks like a lot of rebooting.....

Bigger questions - what do little boys like besides video games. What are the GI Joe, Star wars, Masters of the Universe, whatever? Girls at least do princess and dress up? Is there even a boy market other than Marvel costumes any more?
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #32
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

I think bringing up live-action Disney is irrelevant. Disney has, in all honesty, never been cutting edge with live-action films when animation isn't involved. While Disney executives might be involved with all of it, the animation department is still its own separate entity, and with Tangled, Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen being very big hits critically and commercially, I see no reason why not to have trust in Big Hero 6. Especially when ever reaction to a clip of the movie I've seen has been positive. Especially when there won't any "family films" that'll be in direct competition with it.*

*No, I don't consider The Hunger Games a threat as that's supposed to be for more older crowds anyway. Harry Potter didn't exactly hurt Monster's Inc.'s #s for instance.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #33
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
I think bringing up live-action Disney is irrelevant. Disney has, in all honesty, never been cutting edge with live-action films when animation isn't involved.

Seriously?

Study the chronology.

Granted,this reply is useless without pictures to make my point, but what about films like Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, all those cheesy special effects comedies from the sixties and seventies, the Witch Mountain movies were considered innovative, Black Hole -- hell, even my personal favorite Parent Trap was considered exceptional for work with Haley Mills playing two roles (other films had done this before but never so well).

As for doing male targeted films, scan the list. Disney helped define the male American image through film. Let's face it, this is the man who put Tom Sawyer's Island in Frontierland. Once Upon A Time, Disney had boys locked up. [Wait a minute, that didn't come out right.]
Old 10-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #34
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Lots of activity while I've been absent. That's a good thing.

The official New York City Comic Con trailer has found its way on-line, and it builds on the previous entries. There's finally some decent shots of the team, but the action aspect is still being played down to focus on the humor.

It remains visually impressive. And while a lot of the recent speculation in this thread has focused on the potential financial success of the movie, it completely misses what I was suggesting: Big Hero 6 is going to define "San Francisco" for future generations in much the same way the Beats, the Dead, and film noir did for earlier generations.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #35
Joe Brody
IndyFan

I admit the new trailer showcases the beautiful animation and has a pulse but I suspect it shows too many good moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
It remains visually impressive. And while a lot of the recent speculation in this thread has focused on the potential financial success of the movie, it completely misses what I was suggesting: Big Hero 6 is going to define "San Francisco" for future generations in much the same way the Beats, the Dead, and film noir did for earlier generations.

Even though I've got reason to back the film (I'm a Disney Fan and Baymax was inspired by Carnegie Mellon robotics), the more I think about it the more I'm coming out against this film for two reasons: (1) Disney going soft on male targeted films, and (2) the transmogrification of San Francisco.

Since I've already beat #1 into the ground, I'll go straight to #2.

San Francisco is American. Le Sab rightly identifies San Fran as one of our great cities (though Chi-town is a shade of a city compared to NYC). Robert Duvall captured what I'm talking about in describing his acting career:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Duvall
“I was fortunate to be in the two big film epics of the last part of the 20th century: Godfather and “Lonesome Dove” on television, which was my favorite part. That’s my “Hamlet.” The English have Shakespeare; the French, Molière. In Argentina, they have Borges, but the western is ours. I like that.”

San Fran is one of our Westerns. I'm the first to acknowledge that what makes this country great is that we embrace and adopt foreign cultures. But the Japanification of San Fran at the expense of our landmarks is gimmicky and unless it is done for a good reason (like the one I suggested at the beginning of this thread), it is just flat our wrong. BH6's depiction of San Fran (with the alterations to the Golden Gate, lanterns on street cars and asian style terra cotta on victorian buildings) is a disservice to both American and Japanese cultures.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #36
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
San Fran is one of our Westerns. I'm the first to acknowledge that what makes this country great is that we embrace and adopt foreign cultures. But the Japanification of San Fran at the expense of our landmarks is gimmicky and unless it is done for a good reason (like the one I suggested at the beginning of this thread), it is just flat our wrong. BH6's depiction of San Fran (with the alterations to the Golden Gate, lanterns on street cars and asian style terra cotta on victorian buildings) is a disservice to both American and Japanese cultures.

Point of clarification: A very small portion of 'frisco's architecture is actually Victorian. (Oakland has more.) Much of the the city, and this is especially true of Downtown, is Edwardian & Mission Revival. Key points of the latter were adopted and transmogrified into California's now dominant architectural style, "Spanish Colonial." You'll also find a lot of Art Deco buildings erected after 1906, and depending on which part of the city we're talking about you'll find: Craftsman-style homes, Mid-Century Modern, Internationals, and the fugly Post Moderns. We won't even talk about the eyesores that the Sixties & Seventies inflicted upon the world.

Unfortunately, the future of San Francisco is vertical. And while watching the trailers, I see San Francisco. Or, a very credible representation of its future. There's plenty of Asian influence in the city already. Japantown, while it remains in name only, incorporates plenty of Asian influences into its architecture. Chinatown is the obvious answer -- they've blended Edwardian and Asian nearly seamlessly.

Character promo clips!

Outside of Baymax & Hiro, Go Go Tomago looks like she'll be the most fun.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #37
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
I

San Francisco is American.

I have to agree with Joe here. Anyone who spends time in SF will tell you that the Asian influence is less and less every year. If they wanted an accurate future of SF, it would be filled with google busses transporting the tech people to San Jose and homeless people s****ing on the sidewalk. AND LITTLE else. SF is totally made of separate communities each are loosing personality. The Maria is a frat house that could easily be in Boston, Russian and Nob Hill are houses and apartments for the Rich. North Beach is just crap. SOMA is up and coming restaurants The finical district and Marina are hunting grounds for the homeless. SF is kinda a crappy city. Then lump on the weather I am confused why people love it so.
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #38
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
SF is kinda a crappy city. Then lump on the weather I am confused why people love it so.

Me and the wifey think it's a nice place to tourist, but I wouldn't want to stay there very long....
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #39
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Sorry for posting this late, but did want to point a couple things.

Quote:
Granted,this reply is useless without pictures to make my point, but what about films like Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, all those cheesy special effects comedies from the sixties and seventies, the Witch Mountain movies were considered innovative, Black Hole -- hell, even my personal favorite Parent Trap was considered exceptional for work with Haley Mills playing two roles (other films had done this before but never so well).

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is more the exception. Films like The Love Bug, That Darn Cat! or others from the 1960s-early '80s might be fun for what they are, they don't exactly stand out in film history to the extent that Disney's best animated films do, or for that matter Indiana Jones. The Black Hole is primarily known for being a poor man's Star Wars.

While Disney's recent live-action films might be weak, I don't see how bringing that up is relevant to Big Hero 6. Did anybody think about The Lone Ranger when going to see Frozen. As long as the reviews are for it(and the early buzz I've read it pretty good) this can be a pretty decent sized hit. While Disney's image of masculinity might be a heavy weight to bring onto this film, I don't see why it can't live up to it.

I will kinda agree with you though that lumping "San Francisco" with "Tokyo" isn't really necessary, I think most will have no problem accepting it as San Francisco and just enjoy the atmosphere. And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
I have to agree with Joe here. Anyone who spends time in SF will tell you that the Asian influence is less and less every year. If they wanted an accurate future of SF, it would be filled with google busses transporting the tech people to San Jose and homeless people s****ing on the sidewalk.

And where is the lack of Asian influence?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #40
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Now watch Baymax in the kids bedroom knocking over some books with his large posterior and getting his gut stuffed into an armored girdle. I may well be wrong but do you seriously think boys are going to go for that?

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but ~50% of the people who pass the turnstile at Disneyland are childless couples, often in their late-twenties through late-thirties. Now imagine several evening audiences filled with nothing but similarly minded people and you've found your audience. While Disney wants families to spend all of their disposable income, they were never going to carry the day.

Quote:

Yes, Big Hero 6 will do better box office than Wreck-it-Ralph. The people who track this kind of stuff for a living are already suggesting that it'll do ~$60-million over its opening weekend. That would put it at ~$10-million more than Ralph did in his debut. With Halloween right around the corner, that number could go up as Disney makes its last big advertising pustch. I'll put it @ $500-600-million when all is said and done.

There's some groovy new footage in the latest Japanese trailer, but be mindful as always of potential spoilers.

Meet the team!

Baymax makes his public debut.

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 10-24-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #41
jsarino
IndyFan

I'm digging that live-action Baymax.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 PM   #42
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Point of clarification: A very small portion of 'frisco's architecture is actually Victorian.

Good assessment of SF architecture -- but all I was doing was looking at the poster you put up in post #14 and calling out the SF elements that got the Japan-treatment for the film.

Quote:
Yes, Big Hero 6 will do better box office than Wreck-it-Ralph. The people who track this kind of stuff for a living are already suggesting that it'll do ~$60-million over its opening weekend. That would put it at ~$10-million more than Ralph did in his debut. With Halloween right around the corner, that number could go up as Disney makes its last big advertising pustch. I'll put it @ $500-600-million when all is said and done.

I respect you stepping up and making the call. Those are good numbers, and I agree they are doable (though I've got to go toward the low end and with a big non-U.S. %). Speaking of percentages, what is your projected U.S. box office number? That's what matters. Good luck to the film. The attendants at the theatre where I saw Fury last weekend were sporting BH6 shirts, so the Disney marketing machine is at work.

Quote:
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but ~50% of the people who pass the turnstile at Disneyland are childless couples, often in their late-twenties through late-thirties. Now imagine several evening audiences filled with nothing but similarly minded people and you've found your audience. While Disney wants families to spend all of their disposable income, they were never going to carry the day.

I'll take you at your word on this one.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:03 AM   #43
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
I respect you stepping up and making the call. Those are good numbers, and I agree they are doable (though I've got to go toward the low end and with a big non-U.S. %). Speaking of percentages, what is your projected U.S. box office number? That's what matters. Good luck to the film. The attendants at the theatre where I saw Fury last weekend were sporting BH6 shirts, so the Disney marketing machine is at work.

I've also mentioned this elsewhere as well, but movies are increasingly not made for domestic audiences. The general rule of thumb is to recoup expenses at the domestic box office, and seek profits abroad. People still attend the theatre in emerging markets, unlike here. This is part of the reason why you see tentpole pictures opening in foreign markets first.

That said, I'm going with a roughly 50-50 split, with room for as much as %60 of the final take coming from domestic audiences. With the advance buzz being so overwhelmingly positive, there's a chance for Hiro & Co. to capture lightning in a bottle a second time for Disney. (Even though I don't realistically think it will.)

A quick look at some of the technical work that went to bringing Big Hero 6 to the big screen.

Even the just announced Moana sounds fantastic.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #44
Moedred
Administrator

Great Wired article on Lasseter and Catmull with fold-out cover.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #45
kongisking
IndyFan

That article was excellent..but I reserve the right to still be bitter at Lasseter for killing Disney's barely-resurrected 2-D department so callously.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #46
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Great Wired article on Lasseter and Catmull with fold-out cover.

Nice fluff piece.

Quote:
The people who track this kind of stuff for a living are already suggesting that it'll do ~$60-million over its opening weekend.

Big Hero 6 didn't quite reach that projected sixty million opening, but $57-million isn't anything to cry about. Though, after six days in theatres it's sitting at ~$97-million; about ~$40-million more than Wreck-It Ralph in the same time period. It should comfortably eclipse $100-million over the weekend, and then some as it begins to open in really wide release (it's currently playing in only 8 international markets). That should start to even out the current splits.

Fun read on the perils of translation-dubbing from the late great Roger Ebert's collection of scribblers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana Manji
When Hiro becomes a hero in “Big Hero 6,” it’s a cute homophonic wordplay, but one that borrows from Japanese and slips into English without finding any reciprocal chuckles in Japanese. There might be one if the Japanese knew what Hiro stood for, but that’s one of the difficulties of translations and a reason why some people who, like myself, prefer to see a movie and hear the original voice actors while reading the subtitles.

“Big Hero 6” is renamed "Baymax" (ベイマックス) in Japan, which makes it seem as if the story is about the robot named Baymax instead of Hiro. Hiro is the 14-year-old boy whose brother, Tadashi, created Baymax, who resembles Honda’s ASIMO if the robot had a cousin training for sumo wrestling. He’s not fat, he’s big boned and pleasantly plump and that is played for laughs. Instead of a dark mask for a face like ASIMO or the robot in “Robot & Frank,” Baymax has two dots for eyes.

The full article is here if you don't mind minor spoilers.

I'll be seeing it this weekend.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #47
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

A very fun movie, though I felt it fell a bit on the short side.

Great characters(Baymax of course being the highlight), the two scenes that explored the City of San Fransokyo were as beautiful as any animated scenes your going to find in animated movie, and seeing how a good chunk of this thread was me and Joe debating whether male audiences would embrace Big Hero 6 or not, I can guarantee there's no problem there. Young kids(males and females) are really enjoying this movie, Baymax is selling everywhere, and the film crossed the $100 million dollar mark this weekend, even topping Nolan's Interstellar. It should hold its own through Thanksgiving and Christmas. Disney has really made good use of its Marvel purchase and I think people have finally warmed up to the fact Disney owns Marvel with this and Guardians of the Galaxy.

That said, I do think the movie felt a little bit like a pilot for a Saturday Morning cartoon. A little rushed, some trite dialogue, a bit on the slight side. I also think the soundtrack could've been a lot better. While not many of us at TheRaven were particularly impressed with Frozen, me being one of them, one area you have to admit the film owned was in the soundtrack department. Not only did it make older audiences nostalgic for more musical Disney films like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, the songs really did benefit from our YouTube age, and was the real reason for the film's monsterous success. Every time "Let It Go" was played on the radio, more people were curious about the movie. Big Hero 6 has nothing like that, with one forgettable song from some boyband of today and an ok score influenced by anime shows.

But I did like the movie, I just preferred Wreck-It-Ralph.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #48
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
While not many of us at TheRaven were particularly impressed with Frozen, me being one of them, one area you have to admit the film owned was in the soundtrack department.

Unless you've got a blondish 9 year old son who has to listen to numbers like "Fixer Upper" (that catalogs a long list of male faults) whenever his older sisters watch the film. Study the lyrics. Yeah, that soundtrack is awesome. And as for said two older daughters, the film strikes a narcissistic chord that is at odds with what I'm trying to teach.

As for BH6, this Entertainment Weekly article pretty much sums up what I suspected about the film. My younger daughter saw it this weekend as part of a Birthday party and thought it was really funny but didn't think her younger brother would care for it that much. When all is said and done, I see this as a solid Disney 'B' - 'B+' film. And as I thought, Katniss fever has struck and my kids are all fired up for next week. My oldest has her last outdoor soccer tournament and we're looking to Hunger Games for some pumpitude.

As for BH6 box office, I admit these are really good box numbers (but now I would like to compare BH6's production and marketing budget against Wreck-It's) but it gets real tough from here on out. Older kids will go Hunger Games and younger kids will go Penguins. Nevertheless a big hit for Disney.

Me? I've got Guardian on pre-order on Apple TV and I'll watch that with my son (along with other favored movies) until Disney get's it right for the fixer upper part of the population.

Last edited by Joe Brody : 11-16-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #49
russds
IndyFan

Saw it. Loved it. Man, the animation is incredible. Disney animation is really cranking out some good movies these days.
russds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #50
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:

Unless you've got a blondish 9 year old son who has to listen to numbers like "Fixer Upper" (that catalogs a long list of male faults) whenever his older sisters watch the film. Study the lyrics.

The film strikes a narcissistic chord that is at odds with what I'm trying to teach.

???

Nevermind, just walk away, kong...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote