Tom Selleck would have been a better Indy

Indy's brother

I feel bad for Selleck over this (and I always have), but not for me. I can't imagine anyone fleshing out the role as well as Ford has.

Henry W Jones

Indy's brother said:
I feel bad for Selleck over this (and I always have), but not for me. I can't imagine anyone fleshing out the role as well as Ford has.

Yeah, but I don't think it would have been such a success if he had played the role. Ford is a better actor by far.

This is great! This is how stupid rumors start, one media outlet "quoting" another. What a bunch of tripe...nowhere is Selleck himself quoted, not even in the Daily Mail "article."

The comments are golden too:

So, Tom, if you are reading this, don't let it haunt you that you didn't take the Indiana Jones role.

Tom needs to relax. There's no way he could've pulled it off.

What a load of horsesh!t!

Goodeknight

I know there are some other Selleck threads, but whatever. I agree that the movie wouldn't be what it is without Ford in the lead role. Selleck had a shot at super fame when he made a few mediocre movies. Didn't ever happen for him. So he's always been relegated to being one of those tv guys who made some movies, but is best remembered for a famous show. Ala David Hasselhoff or Richard Dean Anderson. Great on the small screen, but not enough star power to really carry a film.

I personally think that with Selleck in the lead role, Indiana Jones would have been little more than what it aspired to mimic -- a B movie.

michael

goodeknight said:
I personally think that with Selleck in the lead role, Indiana Jones would have been little more than what it aspired to mimic -- a B movie.

Look I totally agree that Ford played it to perfection, but I don't how one actor (Selleck) could make a movie that's in the hands of Spielberg, Lucas, Williams, Kasdan, Marshall, and all the other creative geniuses they had, a B-Movie. I don't think that's fair to Selleck.

Stoo

...and much discussed in this thread: Tom Selleck would have been a better Indy.
The Daily Mail said:
"Tom Selleck has been haunted for the past 20 years by a role that he decided to turn down."
The Daily Mail said:
"Selleck, now 66, was actually offered the role that rocketed Ford to fame and made him a household name, but he turned it down in favour of playing Thomas Magnum in the cult television series."
These bits from the Daily Mail article are hogwash, tabloid journalism. Selleck didn't decide to turn the role down in favour of playing Magnum, the real story is that CBS wouldn't allow him to do it.

I also don't see how "Magnum P.I." was a "cult television series". It was one of the most popular TV shows of its time!:rolleyes:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
This is great! This is how stupid rumors start, one media outlet "quoting" another. What a bunch of tripe...nowhere is Selleck himself quoted, not even in the Daily Mail "article."
The Daily Mail article was bad enough, this one is Fox News.:sick: Expect nothing but garbage from them.(n)
michael said:
I don't think that's fair to Selleck.
Of course it isn't fair to Selleck. It still would have been a good movie and everyone would be saying, "Nobody else could have played that role. Tom Selleck IS Indy!":rolleyes:
goodeknight said:
I know there are some other Selleck threads, but whatever.
The funny thing is, this thread was created exactly 9 hours after this one: Tom Selleck's Audition.

Both of them should probably be merged with the main hread: Tom Selleck would have been a better Indy.

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
It still would have been a good movie and everyone would be saying, "Nobody else could have played that role. Tom Selleck IS Indy!":rolleyes:

You really think Tom would have been as good? Really? Wow!!! Really? Sorry to seem so shocked but really?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah. They've all been merged now.
Hats off to you, Professor.:hat:
Henry W Jones said:
You really think Tom would have been as good? Really? Wow!!! Really? Sorry to seem so shocked but really?
No, what I'm saying is that Tom Selleck would have been Indy and that's it. No one would know any different nor be able to compare his portrayal to Harrison's (especially since Harry never auditioned for the role so there are no audition tapes to compare with).

I don't think Selleck would have been "as good" as Harrison but it still would have been a great flick. Within the collective group of immense talent which produced such an excellent picture, Harrison is just *one* factor.

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Hats off to you, Professor.:hat:
No, what I'm saying is that Tom Selleck would have been Indy and that's it. No one would know any different nor be able to compare his portrayal to Harrison's (especially since Harry never auditioned for the role so there are no audition tapes to compare with).

I don't think Selleck would have been "as good" as Harrison but it still would have been a great flick. Within the collective group of immense talent which produced such an excellent picture, Harrison is just *one* factor.

You might be right Stoo, but something about Selleck to me would make it cheesy. I don't hate Tom Selleck but I think Ford brings a special something to all his roles that Selleck has never been able to achieve. IMHO. And part of Raiders success is what Ford brought to the character and I believe Selleck would not have pulled off just watching him read for the part.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In his own words:
After I did the pilot for Magnum, I tested for Indiana Jones and got the job. Steven [Spielberg] and George [Lucas] offered me the job. And I said, ‘Well, I’ve done this pilot. And they said, ‘Thanks for telling us. Most actors wouldn’t do that, but we got cards to play with CBS. Turned out, CBS wouldn’t let me do it. They held the offer out for about a month. Harrison Ford hates to hear this. Harrison, this is your role, and you’re indelible in it; it’s just an interesting story. I signed a deal for Magnum, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I’m proud that I lived up to my contract.
"Cards to play" hints at Glen Larson's grudge over the Battlestar Galactica lawsuit. Hope we get the whole story someday.

emtiem

Selleck is a really charming lead, I obviously love Ford in the role and he's one of the best movie stars ever, but Selleck would have played Indy really well, been incredibly engaging and probably an even bigger star, and it would still have been a massive hit.

Funnily enough, Sean Connery would have made a more believable father to Selleck, I think! :)