RIP: Star Trek's Majel Roddenberry 1932-2008

Goonie

:( A familiar face in the Star Trek universe has passed away. Majel Barrett Roddenberry passed away at age 76. She played Nurse Christine Chapel on the original show and Lwaxana Troi in ST: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. Her last Star Trek project was providing the voice of the USS Enterprise's computer for the new movie coming out next year, a role which she just finished two weeks ago.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...denberry_death_081218/20081218?hub=TopStories

:(

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Hailing frequencies closed.

That's a huge loss --- first Forrest J. Ackerman, now this... sci-fi is being hit hard.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://freebeacon.com/columns/great-boor-galaxy
Roddenberry had an affair with the actress, singer, and model Nichelle Nichols. His relationship with Barrett was an open secret, lasting a decade before he divorced his wife. He and Barrett got married in 1969. (Their son, Rod, was born in 1974.) As for Nichols, Roddenberry cast her in a history-making role as Star Trek’s Lieutenant Uhura.
Great article on how the creator made everything worse in the first 25 years of Star Trek's 50-year history, particularly with the writing. He was elbowed aside for Star Trek 2, 4, and 6. Anyone with an axe to grind over Lucas should read it.
Alan Dean Foster: "By then I’d worked with Gene Roddenberry and George Lucas. In a nutshell, Roddenberry was standard Hollywood and George Lucas was anti-Hollywood. I never got the feeling from George that he particularly cared whether he received any great critical acclaim or even if he made a lot of money. I got the feeling that Star Wars was based on something he loved seeing as a kid and that’s what he wanted to make and he hoped he could make it so he could see it on the screen. I don’t think he cared about the fame or the money. Dealing with Lucas was like dealing with the quiet kid in the back of the class who hardly ever speaks up. Gene was, like, ‘I’M STAR TREK!’"
Harlan Ellison: "Roddenberry was determined that his name would be on the writing credits somehow... The trouble is, he can't write for sour owl poop. His one idea, done six or seven times in the series and again in the feature film, is that the crew of the Enterprise goes into space, finds God, and God turns out to be insane, or a child, or both."