• Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Montana Smith said:
I always found the Sultan funny.

product_thumb.php

If it was a US sit-com there'd be canned laughter to remind the audience not to take him seriously.

Really? I can't remember the last time middle class liberal lefty Alexis was even slightly amusing. 'tatcher' gags just didn't do it after 1984.

The scene.might has been funny if ' John got a new mot-a'

Prehaps Rocko didn't find it funny as the thought this is how Sultans act?!

Mickiana

JuniorJones said:

Sultans usually act much worse (in real life). It wasn't a funny scene, that is with dialogue, but I suppose it was supposed to be funny in an oblique way just by having him there in the role.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Being offended is not enough to claim racism.

There has to be more to racism that eliciting an emotional response.

It is for starter. Then its the intrepration of the law.

I'm talking about being offensive in the context of another culture being degraded at the expense of another. Is clear in TOD this was the case, mean't or not, as the story needed that context.

What's the logical response in identifying racism?

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Mickiana said:
Sultans usually act much worse (in real life). It wasn't a funny scene, that is with dialogue, but I suppose it was supposed to be funny in an oblique way just by having him there in the role.

Well, if I was a sultan I'd be offended at the feeble minded stupidness I was portrayed!

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
Well, if I was a sultan I'd be offended at the feeble minded stupidness I was portrayed!
Sultan said:
"Rolls-Royce Phantom Two. 4.3 litre, 30 horsepower, six cylinder engine, with Stromberg Downdraft carburetor. Can go from zero to 100 kilometers an hour in 12.5 seconds. And I even like the color."
Doesn't sound stupid to me...

JuniorJones said:
I'm talking about being offensive in the context of another culture being degraded at the expense of another.
Denigrating a culture is offensive, so is making false accusations.

Are they racist?

JuniorJones said:
Is clear in TOD this was the case, mean't or not, as the story needed that context.
My contention has always been they never represented the culture as a whole in Temple of Doom.

That Pankot had changed and was now spreading evil was not only clearly established in dialog but it's the point of the film.

JuniorJones said:
What's the logical response in identifying racism?
I don't understand the question, could you narrow it down?

I don't think there's any one perfect answer...especially when dealing with human nature.

JuniorJones said:
You must have me confused with the kind of person who is more stupider.

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
Would you except that you have a different sensibility in regards to reading of Indiana Jones and that if someone is offended by the films that they would have a valid grevience?
I don't see racism in any of the films, opposed to someone who does, certainly there is a differing sensibility.

A valid grevience requires validation. So far the only thing proferred to that end is a government ban and selected films from the genre roughly half a century past...these hardly validate racism in Temple of Doom.

There is nothing in the film which makes claims of the Indian culture as a whole.

JuniorJones said:
I could have watched TOD and indirectly saw Indian people classed as helpless or evil by a disrespectful hatch job against their race and culture.
Indirectly? How about directly?

JuniorJones said:
I could gave also intetpretated one sequence where India's people are protrayed starving and helpless who were gifted by the a white god who fell from the sky, who the people begged via their meagre offerings to help them and save the children.
What gave you the impression they thought of Indiana Jones as a god, white or otherwise?

By what you've written I'd say you're looking for something that just isn't there.

JuniorJones said:
Is it not clearly presented that the Indian race is somewhat inferior to their white gods?
I think Shiva, (identified as the deity) is portrayed as blue.

So no.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Doesn't sound stupid to me...

He was a silly, shallow sterotypical hollywood view of a foreigner.

rocko said:
Denigrating a culture is offensive, so is making false accusations.

Are they racist?

If they were about my race and culture in such a misleading representation. Then, Yes.

cropwm.jpg

I guess when this was done it was seen as a fair representation of black people. I can't imagine why anyone would be offended.

rs said:
My contention has always been they never represented the culture as a whole in Temple of Doom.

The above image does not respresent black people but we know who it is. So why would the representation of Indian's be any less racist!

rs said:
That Pankot had changed and was now spreading evil was not only clearly established in dialog but it's the point of the film.

I am focusing on the representation of race. The subtext of the overall film is irrelevant.

rs said:
I don't understand the question, could you narrow it down?

I don't think there's any one perfect answer...especially when dealing with human nature.

I can't imagine not having an emotional response to racism but logic would kick in to translate that. I was wondering, like yourself, what that could be if you can't be emotional.

rs said:
You must have me confused with the kind of person who is more stupider.

This guy?

Barack-Obama-08-Curious-George-Marietta-Bar-TShirt.jpg

(oh! Curious George how you have fallen...)

We know it's not really Obama , so it's just funny. Right?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
I don't see racism in any of the films, opposed to someone who does, certainly there is a differing sensibility.

A valid grevience requires validation. So far the only thing proferred to that end is a government ban and selected films from the genre roughly half a century past...these hardly validate racism in Temple of Doom.

Your sensibility hasn't been offended.

Banning doesn't help anyone. Accept they have racist overtones and discuss.

There is nothing in the film which makes claims of the Indian culture as a whole.

rs said:
Indirectly? How about directly?

How can it be interperated as not being what it is?

rs said:
that gave you the impression they thought of Indiana Jones as a god, white or otherwise? By what you've written I'd say you're looking for something that just isn't there.

That's part of the racist subtext.

rs said:
I think Shiva, (identified as the deity) is portrayed as blue.

So no.

I mean't they treated him as a god. A white good.

JuniorJones said:
He was a silly, shallow sterotypical hollywood view of a foreigner.
He was a shrewd, shallow, stereotypical hollywood view of an amoral capitalist.
JuniorJones said:
If they were about my race and culture in such a misleading representation. Then, Yes.
Once again, the film makes the clear distinction that what you are seeing is radical change, Pankot Tradition. Not a representation of the entire race and culture. Any such sweeping generalizations are your own.

JuniorJones said:
I guess when this was done it was seen as a fair representation of black people. I can't imagine why anyone would be offended.
I'm not interested in guessing. Where is the racism in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

JuniorJones said:
The above image does not respresent black people but we know who it is. So why would the representation of Indian's be any less racist!
This all begs the question, what representation of any single person COULDN'T be racist?! To you that is...

Pictures are powerful though...hats off :hat:

Here's one to chew on:
ToDIndians_zpsb52e25b1.jpg

There is no comparison compadre.

JuniorJones said:
I am focusing on the representation of race. The subtext of the overall film is irrelevant.
Dialog is not subtext, neither is the varied portrayals pictured above...and there are more.

Am I racist for not including them, or is this notification satisfactory?

JuniorJones said:
I can't imagine not having an emotional response to racism but logic would kick in to translate that. I was wondering, like yourself, what that could be if you can't be emotional.
Emotion is only the problem when it is the only explanation.

JuniorJones said:
Accept they have racist overtones and discuss.
No, you claim there are racist overtones. There is no ulterior, implicit meaning or quality, no implication or hint regarding race.

You're trying to establish race as a subtext, and you can certainly discuss the film in those terms, (because we are) just as the film can be interpreted mathematically through ones and zeroes, (because it is)...in which case the expression for racism in Temple of Doom is called a Null Value.

JuniorJones said:
How can it be interperated as not being what it is?
Null Value.

Define racism.
JuniorJones said:
That's part of the racist subtext.
EXACTLY! There is none!:hat:

JuniorJones said:
I mean't they treated him as a god. A white good.
How did they treat Short Round?

RKORadio

Many Indians found the portrayal of their people and culture in Temple offensive

One thing i think we can all agree on is that Caucasians cannot decide what is offensive to non-Caucasians.

RKORadio said:
Many Indians found the portrayal of their people and culture in Temple offensive

One thing i think we can all agree on is that Caucasians cannot decide what is offensive to non-Caucasians.
More Indians than not found the portrayal of their people and culture in Temple inoffensive

Another thing I think we can all agree on is that what is offensive to people isn' t always rational. Caucasian or not.

Last edited:

RKORadio

They could have done things better. Having the Oxford-educated "civilised" Indian Prime Minister be freed from the blood of Kali and help the Marharaja defeat the cult without help from the white British, for a start.

RKORadio

I hope I'm not hated here. Like I said i haven't seen the movies in a long time and the internal Digital Video Recorder isn't that reliable.

RKORadio said:
I hope I'm not hated here.
Not by me.:D

In the same way I hope I'm note hated either, but I can live with it, need be.

RKORadio said:
Like I said i haven't seen the movies in a long time and the internal Digital Video Recorder isn't that reliable.
You should do something to remedy that...ASAP.

I understand Raiders is screening at Biondi Beach in February and Temple at the Astor in St Kilda January 28th...

I just hope you didn't vote yet!

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm not interested in guessing. Where is the racism in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?

Here's one to chew on:
ToDIndians_zpsb52e25b1.jpg

So what images does the world of Temple of Doom present?

Helpless Indians who prayed for assistance and presumed the white 'hero' was the answer to their prayers.

An educated Indian in western dress. Oxford education obviously convinced him to dress in the manner of his 'civilized' white masters.

An effeminate Indian boy kept as a puppet Maharajah.

A dead Indian, since Indiana Jones hadn't arrived in time to save him.

An evil Indian Thug who worships "an evil goddess".

An evil Indian psychopathic manipulator.

Indians in the employ of the British Empire under the dfirection of a white officer.

A helpless Indian woman grateful for the assistance of Indiana Jones for returning her child to her.

And you missed out the Indian dinner guests with their disgusting eating habits.

Where in Temple of Doom are the positive images of Indians? Where is the hope for self-empowerment outside of white domination?