Indy Body Count

Nurhachi1991

Indiana Jones Body Count

154 holy smokes and thats not counting KOTCS!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SS-MSi05tx0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SS-MSi05tx0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

michael

Hahaha, wow, when you watch it, you're like damn, that IS a lot of deaths.

ROFL at #79 hahahahaha. Although I doubt he died.

Edit: This video actually makes the guy getting hit with the sledgehammer funny.

Lance Quazar

I take issue with a few of them -

it's doubtful the Thuggees died from having rocks dropped on their heads, but it's possible...

There were probably many more people on the Coronado that we didn't see....

Several more German soldiers and Turkish mercenaries must have died in the Grail Temple. I doubt the Knight himself died.

Still, VERY entertaining. :)

Kooshmeister

Most of the Germans and Hatayans successfully jumped across the chasm. Also, he wrongly includes the SS officer in Last Crusade. Indy doesn't shoot him, he just grabs his gun and knocks him down and turns and shoots the two guards with him. The officer is still alive (and visibly breathing) when Indy and Henry run from the room.

He also missed the guy Indy kicked off the Coronado before it blew up, and all of the Nazi officers who get trapped in the burning room at the castle.

Darth Vile

Indy had a pretty reasonable death tally. However, that shades into comparison next to Luke Skywalker. How many people were on the Death Star when it blew (including prisoners/enemies of the Empire)? What a bast*rd. ;)

Crack that whip

Perhaps, but if he hadn't it would've destroyed the Rebel base on Yavin IV, and everyone on it (not to mention any number of worlds it likely would've gone on to annihilate, though we can't count those all as definites). I like to think the Death Star didn't have a huge prisoner count at that time as it was still new and all.

I remember seeing an entertainment news story when Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade came out back in '89 that reported it had the highest body count of that year's action blockbusters (ranking it at the top of a list that I believe also included Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, License to Kill, etc.). IIRC, that list's count put Crusade's tally at only 31 or 33 or so, but still high enough to top the list.

Nurhachi1991 said:
154 holy smokes and thats not counting KOTCS!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SS-MSi05tx0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SS-MSi05tx0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's interesting that according to that YT video's tally, the widely-reputed "darker, more violent" Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom actually has the fewest deaths of the three original Indy adventures. Somewhat similarly, prior to the release of Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, I'd seen it noted that Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back was more or less universally acknowledged as the darkest of the five Star Wars movies that then existed, yet it's arguably the only one in which none of the major / significant characters die.

I see the YT clip counts the monkey's death, but not all the snakes, bugs, etc. Is it fair to include nonhuman primates but not other nonhuman creatures? I guess a case can be made for it...

Last edited:

Stoo

Kooshmeister said:
He also missed the guy Indy kicked off the Coronado before it blew up, and all of the Nazi officers who get trapped in the burning room at the castle.
Good one, Koosh! I think that just about covers everyone. (Glad to see that Chatter Lal wasn't included.)
I love the way the numbers shoot up really quickly during the Ark opening.:dead: Cool video.
Crack that whip said:
I see the YT clip counts the monkey's death, but not all the snakes, bugs, etc. Is it fair to include nonhuman primates but not other nonhuman creatures? I guess a case can be made for it...
Not to mention the ill-fated chickens and their unborn offspring.:p

Junior Jones

I remember back when The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was on. There were several articles written saying it was the most violent show on television. Of course, those articles always appeared the week after a war episode.

Stoo

Which raises an interesting question. Who was the 1st person that Indy killed?
Was it one of the Federales in Mexico or a German in Flanders (that we never see)?

Kooshmeister

If I'm missing anybody lemme know! This is including everyone.

If several guys died at once I list them together.

Peru, the Opening Sequence:
Satipo - Impaled on spike trap.
Barranca - Shot with poison darts by the Hovitos.

Nepal, the Bar Fight:
Ratty Nepalese - Set on fire; shot in the face by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Second Nazi - Shot by Indy and the Giant Sherpa. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Giant Sherpa - Knocked unconscious by Indy; dies in burning Raven. (Indirect kill for Indy.)
Mean Mongolian - Shot in the back by Marion.

Streets of Cairo
Cairo Henchman - Accidentally stabbed by one of his buddies.
Cairo Swordsman - Shot by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Cairo Henchman on Truck #1 - Shot by Indy; falls off truck. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Cairo Henchman on Truck #2 - Shot by Indy; blown up in exploding truck. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Gestapo Agent - Blown up in exploding truck. (Definite kill for Indy.)

Tanis Airfield
Truckload of German Soldiers - Shot by Marion.
German Mechanic - Chopped by Flying Wing prop. (Indirect kill for Indy.)
German Pilot - Knocked unconscious by Marion; blown up in exploding Flying Wing.

Road to Cairo
Major Gobler, Lieutenant Belzig and German Soldier - Fly off cliff in troop car. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Tough Sergeant - Thrown out the truck windshield by Indy and run over. (Definite kill for Indy.)

Nazi Island, the Tabernacle
A Whole Lot of German Soldiers - Shot with lightning from the Ark, burned up in Holy Fire.
Colonel Herman Dietrich - Head implodes from the power of the Ark, body consumed by Holy Fire.
Major Arnold Toht - Head melts from the power of the Ark; body consumed by Holy Fire.
Rene Belloq - Consumed by Holy Fire, his head explodes.

Shanghai, Club Obi-Wan
Wu Han - Shot by Chen.
Chen - Impaled with a flaming shish-kebab by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)

Streets of Shanghai
Henchman - Shot in the face by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)

Pankot Palace
Thuggee Assassin - Tangled in Indy's whip, pulled into the ceiling fan and hung. (Possibly indirect kill for Indy.)

Temple of Doom:
Sacrifice Victim - Heart ripped out by Mola Ram; lowered into lava by Thuggee priests.
Thuggee Guard - Hangs onto Ladder as it drops from a great height.
Thuggee Priest #1 - Pole-vaulted into lava by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Thuggee Priest #2 - Pole-vaulted into lava by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Chief Guard - Pulled into rock crusher and ground up. (Indirect kill for Indy.)

Mine Cart Chase:
3 Thuggee Guards - Crash in mine cart; rammed into by second mine cart of guards.
Thuggee Guard in Mine - Run over by second mine cart. (Definite kill for Indy; Indy threw him onto the tracks.)
2 Thuggee Guards - Hit guard on the tracks and go flying down a chasm. (Indirect kill for Indy; they wouldn't have hit the other guard if Indy hadn't thrown him on the tracks.)

Bridge at the End
A Whole Lot of Thuggee Guards - Fall and get eaten by alligators when Indy cuts the bridge. (Definite kill for Indy.)
3 Thuggee Guards - Lose their grip and fall and get eaten by alligators. (Indirect kill for Indy; they lose their grips when the bridge hits the cliff.)
Thuggee Guard on Bridge #1 - Falls and gets eaten by alligators.
Thuggee Guard on Bridge #2 - Knocked loose by Mola Ram; falls and gets eaten by alligators.
Mola Ram - Burns his hand on Sankara Stone, falls and gets eaten by alligators. (Possibly definite kill for Indy.)
Some More Thuggee Guards - Shot by British soldiers.

Portugese Coast, the S.S. Coronado:
Henchman - Knocked off the Coronado by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Panama Hat and Several Henchman - Blown up with the Coronado.

Venice, the Boat Chase:
3 Cruciform Sword Members - Crushed between two ships and blow up.

Castle Brunwald and Escape:
2 German Soldiers - Machine-gunned by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Several Nazi Officers - Trapped in burning dining room when Indy jams the door with a bust of Hitler. (Definite kill for Indy.)
German Soldier on Motorcycle - Goes flying when Indy jams a flagpole into his wheel spokes. (Definite kill for Indy.)

Escaping from Germany:
German Pilot #1 - Tries to fly into a tunnel, loses his wings, zooms past Indy and Henry and blows up.
German Pilot #2 - Blinded by seagulls, crashes into a cliff.

Hatay, Canyon of the Crescent Moon:
Several Cruciform Sword Members - Shot by German soldiers.
Kazim - Shot by German soldiers.
German Soldier in Kubelwagon - Gets stuck on tank barrel, then shot off and run over. (Possibly indirect kill for Indy; since even though Vogel gave the order to fire it's Indy's fault the Kubelwagon got stuck on the tank.)
Hatayan Tank Gunner - Killed when the gun jams and blows up in his face. (Definite kill for Indy.)
3 German Soldiers on Tank - Shot by Indy; the bullet goes through all three of them. (Definite kill for Indy.)
German Soldier on Tank - Knocked onto the treads, rolls off and is crushed. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Truckload of German Soldiers - Blown up with the tank's other gun by Henry.
German Soldier in Tank #1 - Knocked unconscious by spinning periscope; goes over cliff in tank. (Indirect kill for Indy; he's the one who kicked the periscope.)
German Soldier in Tank #2 - Bonked by Marcus with a shell; goes over cliff in tank.
Hatayan Tank Driver - Catches a stray bullet in the forehead.
Colonel Ernst Vogel - Rides the tank all the way down the canyon.

(Marcus is actually Vogel's indirect killer because by hitting the soldier with the shell he indirectly caused the tank driver's death, thus causing the unguided tank to go over the cliff in the first place.)

Temple of the Sun:
Hatayan Soldier #1 - Decapitated by the Breath of God.
Hatayan Soldier #2 - Decapitated by the Breath of God.
Walter Donovan - Drinks from the wrong Grail; ages into dust.
Dr. Elsa Schneider - Falls down a big crack in the floor.

Nevada, Area 51 and Doom Town:
MP Sergeant and 3 MPs - Shot by disguised Soviet soldiers.
A Whole Lot of Soviet Soldiers - Fried by backwash from the rocket sled. (Indirect kill for Indy; the sled fired up because he knocked Dovchenko into the control panel.)
3 Soviet Soldiers - Incinerated by nuclear blast.

Chauchilla Cemetery:
Cemetery Guard: Shot with his own poison dart by Indy. (Definite kill for Indy.)

The Road to Akator, Jungle Chase:
Soviet Soldier in Jungle Cutter - Blown up when Indy shoots the Cutter with a rocket launcher. (Definite kill for Indy.)
Soviet Soldier - Eaten by giant ants.
Colonel Antonin Dovchenko - Eaten by giant ants. (Possibly indirect kill for Indy; he knocked him into the ants.)
Several Soviet Soldiers - Fall off cliff when smacked with tree branch.

Akator:
All (?) of the Ugha Tribesmen - Massacred by the Soviets.
4 Soviet Soldiers - Sucked into dimensional vortex.
Irina Spalko - Eyes burned out and head explodes from Too Much Knowedge; presumably sucked into dimensional vortex.
George "Mac" McHale - Sucked into dimensional vortex.

(I don't believe the Grail Knight is supposed to haved died, merely been trapped in the temple by the collapsing entrance.)

Last edited:

Crack that whip

:: sees topics now joined ::

Well, they were clearly related but distinctly different topics (one on everyone killed by Indy himself, the other on everyone killed by anyone / anything in the course of the movies / OT), but oh well...
:p

Raiders90

The Indiana Jones Bodycount

I was thinking it'd be interesting to see how many throughout the movies, TV show, novels and/or video games (Video games such as Infernal Machine, Emperor's Tomb and Staff of Kings have very fluid engines/enemies so it might be harder to calcuate) are killed by Indy. It's strange to think that he's a hero yet he's killed over his career as an adventurer and spy dozens if not hundreds of guys either directly or indirectly.

A video I saw has the estimate of 154 deaths in the movie trilogy alone, most of which were either directly by Indy, because of Indy, not stopped by Indy or helped Indy survive (for example, Marion killing the Germans in the truck that came to kill Indy; He might not have killed them himself but their death helped him win). Other deaths in that count, such as Wu Han's, or Indy's other employee in the South America, 1936 section of Raiders, come not directly by through their association with Jones. I'll call it 153 since the video I saw includes the monkey in Raiders.

Last edited:

Raiders90

I can't amend my post but I mean specifically KOTCS, Young Indy, Novels and perhaps Video Games, since we have the trilogy covered

Walton

Joe Brody said:
Don't get me wrong, I've got no issues with violence (I'll even let my young kids watch Black Hawk Down), but Indy's a killer. No two ways around it. I wonder what his body count will be in the next one.

Indy's a killer...

Makes me wonder under what circumstances any of us would pull the trigger.

Do you ever find yourself having moments of that kind of introspection? Would you have shot the Cairo swordsman? (I'm not talking about according to script, for the sake fo good action and adventure...I'm making a leap into real life.)

You, him, a parting crowd.

Any takers?

Last edited:

Kooshmeister

My counts expanded with individual numbers:

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 57
Temple of Doom - 32
Last Crusade - 56
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 44

Peru: 2
-Satipo impaled on spiked booby trap
-Barranca shot with poison darts by Hovitos tribesmen

Nepal: 4
-Indy shoots 1 Nepalese thug
-Indy and giant Sherpa briefly cooperate and shoot Otto
-Indy knocks out giant Sherpa leaving him to die in fire
-Marion shoots 1 Mongolian thug in the back

Cairo 5:
-Indy tricks 1 Arab thug into accidentally stabbing another
-Indy shoots 1 Arab swordsman
-Indy shoots Arab thug on the truck
-Indy shoots Arab driver, causing the truck to crash and explode, killing the Nazi agent riding in back

Tanis airfield: 9
-German mechanic is chopped to bits by flying wing prop
-Marion knocks out pilot leaving him to die when flying wing explodes
-Marion shoots 5 German soldiers in a truck
-Marion shoots 2 more soldiers

Truck chase: 4
-Indy rams a car containing Gobler, another officer and a gunner off a cliff
-Indy runs over German sergeant

Geheimhaven: 33
-30 German soldiers killed by lightning bolts coming from the Ark
-Dietrich’s head imploded by the power of the Ark
-Toht’s face melted by same
-Belloq exploded and consumed by the Ark’s holy fire

Shanghai: 3
-Chen shoots Wu Han
-Indy impales Chen with a flaming skewer of pigeon flambé
-Indy shoots 1 Chinese gangster

Pankot Palace: 1
-Indy kills Thuggee assassin by wrapping his whip around his neck and hanging him from the ceiling fan

Temple of Doom: 6
-Mola Ram sacrifices a man to Kali
-Indy kills 2 Thuggee priests by flipping them into molten lava
-Indy fights the chief Thuggee guard who winds up going through a rock crusher
-Indy knocks 2 guards to their deaths

Mine cart chase: 6
-Indy kills 3 Thuggee guards by knocking a beam into the path of their mine cart, causing them to crash
-Willie punches 1 guard off their mine cart onto the tracks, where he is hit by a cart containing 2 more causing them to fly off the track

Rope bridge: 16
-Indy cuts the rope bridge, causing 6 Thuggee guards to fall into the water and be eaten by alligators
-2 more guards lose their hold and fall
-Mola Ram slips and accidentally knocks 1 guard off
-Mola Ram knocks 1 more guard off, intentionally this time
-Indy knocks Mola Ram into the river and he gets eaten by alligators
-British and Indian soldiers shoot 5 Thuggee guards

Portuguese coast: 5
-Indy kicks 1 goon off the Coronado
-The Coronado blows up, killing Panama Hat and at least 3 goons

Venice: 3
-3 Cruciform Sword members are killed when their speedboat is crushed between two ships and explodes

Castle Brunwald: 7
-Indy shoots 2 German soldiers
-Indy traps 5 German officers in the burning dining room

Motorcycle chase: 1
-Indy jams a flagpole into the spokes of a German soldier’s motorcycle, making the motorcycle flip in midair and kill the rider

Fighter plane chase: 2
-1 German fighter pilot is killed trying to follow Indy and Henry through a low tunnel
-Henry startles a flock of seagulls making them fly into a German fighter, causing the pilot to lose control and crash into a cliff

Convoy attack: 11
-10 Cruciform Sword members killed by German soldiers
-Kazim killed by German soldiers

Tank chase: 21
-Indy tricks the tank and a car into running into each other, causing the car to become stuck on the front of the tank; the tank then blasts the car off of itself, killing the driver
-1 Hatay soldier killed when Indy jams his gun with a rock, so that when he fires the backblast kills him
-3 German soldiers killed when Indy fires through their bodies with a single bullet
-1 German soldier killed when Indy knocks him onto the tank treads and gets run over
-1 German soldier knocked out when Indy kicks the periscope; he dies when the tank flies off the cliff
-1 German soldier knocked out by Marcus; he too dies going over the cliff
-1 Hatay tank driver killed when a bullet ricochets into his head (this is caused by Marcus hitting the soldier above)
-Henry blows up a truck containing 11 German soldiers
-Vogel killed going over the cliff with the tank

Grail temple: 4
-1 corpse of a Hatay soldier seen
-1 Hatay soldier decapitated by the Breath of God
-Donovan chooses poorly and rapidly ages and crumbles to dust
-Elsa Schneider falls down a big crack trying to reach the Grail

Hangar 51: 14
-Russian soldiers shoot 4 MP’s
-5 Russian soldiers are blown backwards by exploding crates when Indy crashes into them (no way they survived all those sharp splinters and flying through the air like that)
-5 Russian soldiers are incinerated by the rocked sled’s backwash

Doom Town: 3
-3 Russian soldiers incinerated in their car by atomic shockwave

Chauchilla Cemetery: 1
-Indy kills 1 cemetery guard by blowing his own poison dart back into his mouth

Jungle chase: 6
-Indy shoots the jungle cutter with a rocket launcher, killing the driver (his body is shown)
-1 Russian soldier is eaten by the giant ants
-Indy fights Dovchenko and knocks him to the ground where he’s swarmed and eaten by the ants
-Marion knocks 3 Russians off a cliff

Akator: 20
-Russian soldiers kill 19 Ugha tribesmen (I count the bodies as Spalko walked past)
-The alien kills Irina Spalko by overloading her mind with knowledge so that her eyes burn out and her body disintegrates

Total: 167

I didn't count corpses of already dead characters unless they were seen alive previously.

I also didn't count Mac and the 4 Russians.

Last edited:
Kooshmeister said:
Motorcycle chase: 1
-Indy jams a flagpole into the spokes of a German soldier?s motorcycle, making the motorcycle flip in midair and kill the rider.
Does it kill the rider for sure?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the biggest image of this I could find (including at the Moviepilot site).

image9.jpg

Edit: The margin says "thanks Kooshmeister" for doing the counting here, here, here, and here. So the "we counted" claim isn't really true. Also totals seem to have been revised in the mid-2010 post here.

Last edited: