Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 1

DIrishB

yodazone said:
There's a good list posted over there now:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards/viewtopic.php?t=14369
bender_dance2_animate.gif

The DH board needs more vocal Indy fans!

:gun:

Done! I really need to start posting more often on the DH boards. Its just so SW related that I feel alienated most of the time (I'm an exclusive Indy fan).

HellofaSandwich

Awesome!! I own most of the Marvel comics, but it'll be nice to finally get to read the series remastered without dealing with the old comic smell/faded colors.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Snakes said:
YES! I've been trying to track down as many old marvel Indy comics as a can. Now I can get them all in a nicely sized volume. I'm really looking forward to the movie adaptations in particular. I hope they include all the covers this time though. That's the only thing I disliked about the other Indy omnibuses. (omnibuses?):confused:

That's exactly my thought, too. I bought the Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle book and it was really nice to have all the covers. Let's just hope they include all the covers, even as some kind of appendix.

phantom train

This is truly excellent news. As a fan of the Marvel IJ issues for a long time, I am really looking forward to this Omnibus. It's too bad we have to wait 5 more months, though.

Also, as others have said, I hope they reprint all of the covers.

Re: other non-Marvel reprints, I guess it would be nice to have some of the more obscure Indy comics reprinted, but I will settle for just the rest of the "Further Adventures" Marvel issues, as well as the TOD and LC adaptations.

I also wanted to mention that I don't think it's necessary to reprint the YIJC DH comics (I'm a very big fan and supporter of the show, but the comic adaptations didn't do the show justice). However, if they run out of other material to reprint and if the Omnibuses sell well, they may go that route.

Stoo

Avilos said:
It would not surprise me. I bought both Of the Dark Horse omnibuses and was not that impressed. I have yet to read all the way through either. From descriptions the Marvel comics captured the pulpy, adventure fell of the movies better. I really enjoyed Marvel's Star Wars comics for the same reason. Which seemed more aware of the styles of Lucas' original influences than later comics.
Absolutely! While I do enjoy the Dark Horse run, the Marvel series has so many great characters, situations and cliff-hangers.
Volume 1 & 2 will contain the best stories. Another thing that I love about "Further Adventures" is the nostalgia they evoke.
Reading them takes me back to the years before "Doom" came out when all that an Indy fan had was the memory of the movie,
one novelization, one script, one soundtrack...and the comics. That was it! From the fledgling days of Indy fandom, this is the
very birth of the dreaded, Expanded Universe!:eek:

By the way, where have you been, Avilos? Good to see you posting again.:hat:

Moedred said:
Last Crusade was 4 issues, so it looks like a total 44 issues split 3 ways, hopefully.
Fantastic news! Can they improve upon the old method of coloring, like they did on the cover?
They certainly can. Here's an example of something I did in the same vein (and more). Post #46:
Young Telegraph - "Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition"

In all honesty, I'm not impressed by the colours on the Vol. #1 cover at all. The tree trunks and sky are almost
the same shade of blue while the original issue #7 has the trees with darker purple/grey tone. Plus, Marion's outfit
is much too yellow when it should be orange instead. More contrast, more depth is needed. This update is too
bright and flat. (Sorry, Dark Horse! Love you guys but if you want some help, seriously, let me know!:hat:)

However, I do realize that the colours could be off due to the scan or the colour profile of the image itself so I'll
wait for the printed cover before making a final judgement. The colouring in the Dark Horse Omnibuses is pretty
consistent to the originals so my hopes are not entirely dashed. (Although, the DH series had good paper stock.)

Violet Indy said:
*does happy dance*
Your Marion medicine is on it's way, Violet.:) They picked one of my fave issues for the cover, "Africa Screams"
(which is an Abbott & Costello flick).

HellofaSandwich said:
Awesome!! I own most of the Marvel comics, but it'll be nice to finally get to read the series remastered without dealing with the old comic smell/faded colors.
I have them all and agree with you on the smell. Complete turn-off but because these were on newsprint,
the whites were never really white. This gave an earthy tone which, I'm afraid, might change in the redo.
Regardless, I will buy the new Marvel volumes even though I cherish my oldies. Times are good for Indy fans!:whip:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
Your Marion medicine is on it's way, Violet.:) They picked one of my fave issues for the cover, "Africa Screams"
(which is an Abbott & Costello flick).

Yeah! Well, you can only imagine my excitement at this news! The comics are really hard to find in Oz, and Marion comics (I do own one, which is the 1st part of the gold idol story-arc) even more so but I am really looking forward to "Africa Screams" and especially "The Search for Abner". Also Marion's last appearance you once described to me! It's a bonus to have the cover with Marion on it! Feb isn't soon enough! (y) I have seen the Abbott & Costello movie too.

@ Yodazone: I have tried joining the DH boards, but every time I tried the website screwed up on me!

Avilos

Stoo said:
By the way, where have you been, Avilos? Good to see you posting again.:hat:

Working...HARD... too hard....

Glad to see I was noticed around here. :D

I felt like I been through and Indiana Jones withdrawal now that KotCS and all the merchandise, plus the young Indy DVS are all out. Glad to see DK will continue with the omnibuses.

Stoo

Moedred said:
I hope they run ToD in Volume 3 then, in publishing order and closer to "Indycron" order.
Eventually, a YIJC Omnibus could run the Young Telegraph strips vertically.
Horizontally would be a much better way to maintain the detail. Dividing them into an aesthetically pleasing,
sequential format is a conundrum I've been dealing with.:eek:

How would putting it in Volume 3 be closer to "Indy**** order"? If chronology is the issue, then it should come 1st.
(With all due respect to Mr. Leland Chee, I am boycotting that word.) As for "Doom", I would agree with DIrishB:

DIrishB said:
Volume 2 = #13-23 Further Adventures, ToD #1-3
"Doom" was released in tandem with #21-23 so this makes sense.

Snakes said:
I hope they include all the covers this time though. That's the only thing I disliked about the other Indy omnibuses. (omnibuses?):confused:
Yes, Snakes, it's "Omnibuses". Keep your fingers crossed for the covers!;)

Violet Indy said:
Yeah! Well, you can only imagine my excitement at this news! The comics are really hard to find in Oz, and Marion comics (I do own one, which is the 1st part of the gold idol story-arc) even more so but I am really looking forward to "Africa Screams" and especially "The Search for Abner". Also Marion's last appearance you once described to me! It's a bonus to have the cover with Marion on it! Feb isn't soon enough! I have seen the Abbott & Costello movie too.
Cool! Clyde Beatty (adventurer & big-game hunter) played himself in that movie.;)
As for the last Marion appearance, there is one other Marion thing in a following issue.
I won't tell you what but it is a "thing" that confirms her non-relationship status with Indy.:dead:

Avilos said:
Working...HARD... too hard....
Glad to see I was noticed around here.
I felt like I been through and Indiana Jones withdrawal now that KotCS and all the merchandise, plus the young Indy DVS are all out.
Glad to see DK will continue with the omnibuses.
Dark Horse will deliver your Indy fix. So, did you shave off your goatee after "Skull" came out?:p

Avilos

Stoo said:
Dark Horse will deliver your Indy fix. So, did you shave off your goatee after "Skull" came out?:p

Funny you should mention that now. I actually just shaved it for my new job. It was that or wear an annoying beard net. I work in a cheese factory.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
"Doom" was released in tandem with #21-23 so this makes sense.
I was hoping ToD wouldn't fall in the middle of the series, but this would place something familiar for casual readers in every volume. In what issue do ToD characters first appear?

DIrishB

Moedred said:
I was hoping ToD wouldn't fall in the middle of the series, but this would place something familiar for casual readers in every volume. In what issue do ToD characters first appear?

If I recall correctly, the only ToD character who appeared in Further Adventures was Short Round, and he only showed up for a quick scene where he drove a boat or something. I really need to re-read through my Further Adventures issues, its been a few years. I think it was around issue 25 or so, but could be wrong. I'm pretty sure Indy mentions him being away at boarding school, explaining where he was after Temple of Doom, and during Raiders.

Stoo

Avilos said:
Funny you should mention that now. I actually just shaved it for my new job. It was that or wear an annoying beard net. I work in a cheese factory.
That is funny. I love cheese! Maybe the cheese-lovers thread should be resurrected?

DIrishB said:
If I recall correctly, the only ToD character who appeared in Further Adventures was Short Round, and he only showed up for a quick scene where he drove a boat or something. I really need to re-read through my Further Adventures issues, its been a few years. I think it was around issue 25 or so, but could be wrong. I'm pretty sure Indy mentions him being away at boarding school, explaining where he was after Temple of Doom, and during Raiders.
Correct on all accounts. It was issue #26, by the way. Close enough! I like how they drew Shorty looking a touch older, too.
Too bad they never included Blumburtt again.

DIrishB

Stoo said:
That is funny. I love cheese! Maybe the cheese-lovers thread should be resurrected?

Correct on all accounts. It was issue #26, by the way. Close enough! I like how they drew Shorty looking a touch older, too.
Too bad they never included Blumburtt again.

Yeah, I don't think Blumburtt ever even got a mention again at all (comics, novels, RPGs, or otherwise) after ToD. Poor guy. :(