How many weapons does Indy lose?

Goodeknight

So when he's booking from Belloq and the Hovitos, Belloq's got both Indy's whip and gun. ((With all their implied previous encounters, Belloq may have a closet full of Indy's weapons.))

For years I thought Indy lost another whip when he was dragging behind the truck, but you see it dangling behind when the truck pulls in at the end of the chase.

Willie drops his gun out the window. He lost a gun, but she broke a nail.

I've always assumed that at some point Indy got his hat and whip back from Katanga. And he clearly isn't carrying his whip on the u-boat (so no lashing himself to the periscope for a long ride...)

His bag got toasted by the power of Kali, and the soles of his Aldens would have needed replaced after the mine cart chase.

When else did he lose a weapon or piece of gear?

Always wondered how Indy got his whip back after Drinking Kali-Aide, how DID shorty know where his bag was?

He lost his Fedora on the Bantu Wind...

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
Always wondered how Indy got his whip back after Drinking Kali-Aide, how DID shorty know where his bag was?

He lost his Fedora on the Bantu Wind...

Shorty's pretty observant and resourceful, I guess. I mean, with a couple hundred kids slaving away for months or years, it only took Shorty a few minutes to figure out he could hack at his chains instead of the rocks and escape. (And somehow he figured out how to pick the locks after he chopped the chain. Always wondered about that...)

I thought Indy left his hat on the Bantu Wind and got it, his jacket, whip, etc. back later. Does he lose it somewhere?

Even if he got it back, the jacket would pretty much be trashed with a bullet hole (or two -- entry/exit) in the arm and damage from dragging behind the truck.

Crack that whip

goodeknight said:
I thought Indy left his hat on the Bantu Wind and got it, his jacket, whip, etc. back later. Does he lose it somewhere?

IIRC, according to the novelization he loses it in the water swimming over to the sub from the Bantu Wind. However, there's no shortage of other little differences between the book's account and the movie, the latter of which we regard as the "real" story; I see little reason to assume this isn't just another of them, even if we don't actually see him start the swim and whether he's wearing the hat or not when he does so. We know he wasn't wearing it right before the swim (when he was hiding out on the Bantu Wind eavesdropping on Belloq and the Germans), and it just doesn't make any sense that he'd go back to his cabin, retreive the hat and put it on before swimming to catch a submarine. I have to assume he left it on Katanga's ship.

As for Shorty's escape, I figure he must have decided partway through the job of hacking at his chains to focus on the shackles instead of the links, and busted through them. Why was he the first kid to make the escape? I'm guessing either his spirit hadn't been broken by the Thuggees yet the way they had the other kids' (who, remember, abducted them from their homes and families; Shorty was already a street orphan by the time he encountered the Thuggee, and maybe it made a difference in his attitude), and/or some of them actually had tried to do it before (successfully or not), and we just don't see it (we do know at least one of the Mayapore village children made it out, after all...).