Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Tingler said:
Not Abner, the team asked George Lucas and he made it very clear that Abner is indeed dead. Judging from Lego Indy and the suggestion that it's a previous game's character, AND having Fate of Atlantis, my money's on Sophia Hapgood.

Doesn't mean she's in the main game though, just the "side-quest" co-op.

Maybe, but as Moedred and and boba80 note, we've played as Sophia before too.

Udvarnoky

Attila the Professor said:
Maybe, but as Moedred and and boba80 note, we've played as Sophia before too.

I wouldn't put too much stock in LEC's knowledge of the intimate details of its older games. The portions where you could play as Sophia in FOA were very slight.

I'm watching some gamplay footage of the Force Unleashed on the Wii and I am really surprised. The graphics actually look pretty good(y) Like Chiliana Jones said, he doesn't even have his satchel, so these are probably not 100% of what we will see. Fingers Crossed:gun:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
I wouldn't put too much stock in LEC's knowledge of the intimate details of its older games. The portions where you could play as Sophia in FOA were very slight.

Well, this is surely true. I also wouldn't count on them to take into account the Lego Indy play, to be honest.

The Magic Rat

Attila the Professor said:
Well, this is surely true. I also wouldn't count on them to take into account the Lego Indy play, to be honest.

This was my first thought as well. I bet it'll just be someone from Lego Indy gameplay.

jg23

LOL at those screen shots...they look somewhere between Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb, which is downright horrific for 2009.

Lucas Arts you FAIL!!!!

OhioJones

I found some new screens and it looks like they polished the graphics:

148_4_medium.jpg

Woops! Guess that is a shot from Infernal Machine!

and that was ten years ago!!

To the optomists:

Yes, the prospect of a new Indy game is very exciting and yes graphics are not the only thing that matters, but it seems pretty clear that if they can't even better the graphics of the N64, they are not committed to quality. It is most likely an indicator of the caliber story we will get and quality of the rest of the product.

EvilDevo

While I agree the character models look terrible... the environments are leaps and bounds beyond anything done 10 years ago. I'd say on par with Emperor's Tomb.

I'd still like to see this game in motion.

And an unlockable FoA is an immediate sell for me.

peterlally

We'll see a next gen Indy eventually, this is a wasted oppourtunity of biblical proportions.

Graphics look terrible and yes I too was reminded of IM. I thought the graphics hardly equal it. What a waste.

Trennas

The horrible graphics of the Wii was the main reason that we sold ours. That and there just weren't any fun games coming out for it, even a year after its release date. The fact that no games - except for games developed by Nintendo itself - actually made use of the Wii's technology was another..

Anyways, I'm not particularly surprised to see screens of such quality, although I do hope that they will be better in the final version. On the bright side, I would just get the game for the FoA unlockable alone (y)

Finn

Staff member
Trennas said:
On the bright side, I would just get the game for the FoA unlockable alone (y)
If it's the same FoA that's been around for 17 years now, you could just get it separately.

The Tingler

Trennas said:
The horrible graphics of the Wii was the main reason that we sold ours.

The Wii is very capable of producing excellent graphics (while not on par with 360 or PS3 certainly better than Xbox or GameCube), it's just that with the PS2's continued existence too many games are doing cheap cross-platform development with that. Plus, the quick returns on Wii games are producing too many cheap and nasty shovelware games.

If it's the same FoA that's been around for 17 years now, you could just get it separately.
Not on Wii you can't... and I'm still hoping that it'll be in the DS version too. Unlikely, but the hope's there!

Finn

Staff member
^But hey, you can always draw solace from the fact that if they've somehow managed to improve the gameplay, it can be considered a minor victory.

The Tingler said:
Not on Wii you can't... and I'm still hoping that it'll be in the DS version too. Unlikely, but the hope's there!
I fail to see the difference, since considering you were able to type the above message, you quite probably have a computer that's going to run it. Unless, of course, you have some kind of sick fetish about controlling a point'n'click interface with the mote...

Trennas

I actually own an original copy of FoA, but it seems it gets harder to get it to work with every new windows version, SCUMM or no SCUMM, thats why I think its a nice addition :)

The only Wii game I found to have decent graphics would be Twilight Princess, which also happens to be one of the few games actually using the Wii control system. Most other Wii games are indeed cheaply produced or quickly ported from other systems, not adding to the quality of the console. But still, if they can only come up with a meager handful of fun Wii games a year after the console's release (of which some can also be found on other platforms) then I just find that the console itself is a waste of money. In my opinion, PS3 and Xbox 360 have a much more promising line-up :)

Also, the bottom screenshot of the picture two posts above is from Uncharted 2 :p

tocksic

Trennas said:
Also, the bottom screenshot of the picture two posts above is from Uncharted 2 :p

Yes and it's going to be realesed in 2009. I just wanted to show what games should look like today.