Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
That would be the game with the euphoria technology, that they keep pushing back. They have done game adaptations for comics before (Fate of Atlantis) but that has only happened once. Interesting that they chose to do a tie-in novel. McGregor could probably come up with something better though. His books are my favourite.

DIrishB

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (novel) by Rob MacGregor

So I emailed Rob MacGregor yesterday, asking him about his upcoming Indiana Jones novel, and got a quick and informative response:

Rob MacGregor said:
Thanks for your kind words about my Indy novels. I do have another one coming out, but not until next year. It's related to the sixth generation of the Indiana Jones computer game. Game and novel have the same title -- Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings -- and somewhat similar story lines. My novel was completed months ago and was originally scheduled to come out at the time of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. But production on the game was delayed. The current publication date is fall of '09...

He also mentioned this, in case anyone is interested (I know I am):

Thanks again for your comments. By the way, there is a new Indiana Jones magazine coming soon, and published in the UK. I'm being interviewed for an article this week. It's an official publication, licensed by LucasFilm to Titan Magazines.
Rob MacGregor

Very nice guy, all around (and great writer all around as well).

I find it interesting that he mentions the game and novel have "somewhat similar storylines". I suppose thats no big surprise, as some condensing, added characterization, or even ommission, addition, or re-ordering of events between the game and novel is probably to be expected. But at least now we know for sure that his new Indy novel will adapt the upcoming game.

Also interesting that its delayed until Fall of 2009, which I assume means thats when we can expect the game (I think its safe to assume they'll release the game and novel around the same time). This supports the theory I had that the Indy game won't be out until Fall of '09.

Dewy9

DIrishB said:
So I emailed Rob MacGregor yesterday, asking him about his upcoming Indiana Jones novel, and got a quick and informative response:

He also mentioned this, in case anyone is interested (I know I am):

Very nice guy, all around (and great writer all around as well).

I find it interesting that he mentions the game and novel have "somewhat similar storylines". I suppose thats no big surprise, as some condensing, added characterization, or even ommission, addition, or re-ordering of events between the game and novel is probably to be expected. But at least now we know for sure that his new Indy novel will adapt the upcoming game.

Also interesting that its delayed until Fall of 2009, which I assume means thats when we can expect the game (I think its safe to assume they'll release the game and novel around the same time). This supports the theory I had that the Indy game won't be out until Fall of '09.

Cool. Nice to get such a quick response.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Firstly, I would just like to say to all the guys who didn't believe me when I said MacGregor was writing the novle tie-in for Staff of Kings, "I told you so!"

Secondly, I can't wait for both Perry's novel and this tie-in by MacGregor. It means even if I suck at the game (which no doubt I probably will), I can find out what happens next via the novel! Yay! It's sooooo about time we had some new Indy novels. I've been enjoying the comics so far, but the novels will be all the more sweeter.

DIrishB

Dewy9 said:
Cool. Nice to get such a quick response.

I thought so too. He just comes across as a really nice guy, too, which is something I can always be supportive of (besides the fact that he writes awesome Indy novels, which is something I'm DEFINITELY supportive of...heh).

Violet Indy said:
Firstly, I would just like to say to all the guys who didn't believe me when I said MacGregor was writing the novle tie-in for Staff of Kings, "I told you so!"

Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-naaaah! :p

;)

Secondly, I can't wait for both Perry's novel and this tie-in by MacGregor. It means even if I suck at the game (which no doubt I probably will), I can find out what happens next via the novel! Yay! It's sooooo about time we had some new Indy novels. I've been enjoying the comics so far, but the novels will be all the more sweeter.

I just hope it expands on the story of the game some...maybe incorporating deleted sections of the game, or added characterization (which is a given anyway), etc.

It'll just be nice to read a new Indy novel by MacGregor. His were always my favorite. McCoys are awesome too, and McCoy's storylines seems more in-line with the Indy movies, but MacGregor's novels flowed better and were just overall written better. Caidin's...well, they sucked.

So yeah, very much looking forward to this. Too bad we'll have to wait a year or so to see it released, but I can be patient.

Johnny Jones

Well I'm glad he's so nice. I hate it when authors or celebrities are jerks, although with all the pressures of that lifestyle I can't always blame them. But when someone is kind and patient with fans it makes it even easier for me to enjoy their work. And it's probably better that we're not getting all the Indy stuff at once, or we'd guzzle through it all and have nothing to look forward too...:(
Do you suppose they'll ever do a novelization of Emperor's Tomb? I know it would be kind of redundant... but I don't want any of Indy's adventures missing from my bookshelf.;) If they did hopefully Rob would be their first choice for that as well.

DIrishB

Johnny Jones said:
Do you suppose they'll ever do a novelization of Emperor's Tomb? I know it would be kind of redundant... but I don't want any of Indy's adventures missing from my bookshelf.;)

Then just put the game on your bookshelf. ;)

If they did hopefully Rob would be their first choice for that as well.

I think it depends on how successful the existing (and upcoming) novels are. In fact, I wonder how the re-released Bantam novels (by MacGregor, Caidin, and McCoy) are selling?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to merge with the MacGregor 2009 thread... because it's most certainly the same book.

It funny the Staff of Kings title has been leaked so much the author's use of it is no surprise.

DIrishB

Moedred said:
I decided to merge with the MacGregor 2009 thread... because it's most certainly the same book.

Makes perfect sense. And here I thought confirmation of MacGregor's upcoming Indy novel being an adaptation of the upcoming game was news...

:rolleyes:

I'm so silly.

It funny the Staff of Kings title has been leaked so much the author's use of it is no surprise.

Yeah. Its telling just how much of a tentpole release the upcoming Staff of Kings game will be...seeing as how its THE major Indy release next year and is getting its own novelization.

Johnny Jones

DIrishB said:
Then just put the game on your bookshelf. ;)
Probably should've seen that one coming. :p
Luke Skywalker said:
A canon story also?
I don't know, but Indy canon seems to be more flexible than Star Wars anyway. I mean look at the date contradictions in DK's Ultimate Guide and the Lost Journal which came out pretty near the same time. Heck, the Guide contradicts itself sometimes.
We'll see what Irish has to say, he's the expert. (y)

DIrishB

Luke Skywalker said:
It will be the Indy universe's 'The Force Unleashed' kind of promotion.ç

A cannon story also?

I assume so. I think comparing it to TFU is perfect...same approach, just on a slightly smaller scale (in comparison to TFU)...

Johnny Jones said:
Probably should've seen that one coming. :p

:cool:

I don't know, but Indy canon seems to be more flexible than Star Wars anyway.

Definitely.

I mean look at the date contradictions in DK's Ultimate Guide and the Lost Journal which came out pretty near the same time. Heck, the Guide contradicts itself sometimes.
We'll see what Irish has to say, he's the expert. (y)

I ignore the Ultimate Guide's notes on the movies dates completely. Most other sources (historical notations in the movies themselves, novelizations, etc) place the dates at completely different times than the Ultimate Guide. The Ultimate Guide's datings of the months the movies take place are ridiculous. Its like they ignored EVERY other nod towards the time of year, even in the movies itself.

If something ever contradicts dates in the Ultimate Guide, I believe the contradicting date over the UG. Its crap. The Lost Journal I'm still looking for.

WeAreGoingToDie

Here's hoping for a mention of Jack Shannon!
I'd love for Indy's college days to be retconned so Marion, Jack, Oxley and Mystery of the Blues can all mesh a bit more.

DIrishB

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Here's hoping for a mention of Jack Shannon!
I'd love for Indy's college days to be retconned so Marion, Jack, Oxley and Mystery of the Blues can all mesh a bit more.

That'd actually be very cool, but I don't expect that in this novel since its adapting the upcoming video game. But, if sales on the game novelization do well, along with the reprints of MacGregor's six previous Indy novels, its entirely possible he could write a future story doing just that. Especially since I have a feeling that much like with Star Wars, Lucas/Lucasfilm/etc is going to shift the focus of many upcoming Indy tales to incorporate Crystal Skull characters (like done with the SW Prequels and Clone Wars film).

For instance, the upcoming Army of the Dead will feature Mac and Indy in WWII, and I wouldn't be surprised to see future comics or novels addressing the WWII era and incorporating Mac and other notable characters from the series (Sallah, Marcus, Henry Sr., etc).

Of course, as you said, at the very least a mention of Shannon with a little exposition is entirely possible, or even as an added scene or something. I just think it'll be more likely in a theoretical future MacGregor novel (which I think is a very real possibility).

UltimateManGod

This staff is supposed to be the Staff of Moses, correct? Because I really hope it iisn't the Staff of Aaron. Because Indy already found it. In fact, I would really like to see a reference in the book and game to the fact that Indy has found Aaron's staff already in Secret of the Sphinx.

DarthGemni

Currently, there are a few new Indiana Jones novels on Amazon..."Indiana Jones and the Tomb Of The Gods" for Feb 09 which I assume will be the graphic novel of the individual comics, "Indiana Jones" by Rob MacGregor which says sign up to be notified when this goes on sale but also says will be out April 9 2009, "Indiana Jones and the Army Of The Dead" no author April 28 2009 available for preorder, and "Spinoff 1 (Indiana Jones)" and "Spinoff 2 (Indiana Jones)" by schoolastic available for preorder for May 1 2009....oh, and a book just called "Indiana Jones" by Library Binding for Jan 2009 on sale for preorder at $80.

Sorry if some of this is old news...

Nick

Tomb of the Gods is indeed the Graphic Novel, and I thought the Rob MacGregor one was a novelisation of the Staff of kings game.

DIrishB

DarthGemni said:
Currently, there are a few new Indiana Jones novels on Amazon..."Indiana Jones and the Tomb Of The Gods" for Feb 09 which I assume will be the graphic novel of the individual comics, "Indiana Jones" by Rob MacGregor which says sign up to be notified when this goes on sale but also says will be out April 9 2009, "Indiana Jones and the Army Of The Dead" no author April 28 2009 available for preorder, and "Spinoff 1 (Indiana Jones)" and "Spinoff 2 (Indiana Jones)" by schoolastic available for preorder for May 1 2009....oh, and a book just called "Indiana Jones" by Library Binding for Jan 2009 on sale for preorder at $80.

Sorry if some of this is old news...

IJ & Tomb of the Gods, as said, is indeed the graphic novel collection of the individual issues.

The IJ novel by Rob MacGregor is the novelization of the upcoming Indy video game, Ij & the Staff of Kings.

Ij & the Army of the Dead (by Steve Perry) is an original tale set during WWII involving Indy and Mac.

And the "Spin-Off" 1 & 2 is (I think) whats been listed on the UK Amazon site as Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer - The Untold Adventures, Vol. 1. They also have a Volume 2 listed there, so I'm positive they're the same items (the full name just not being announced on the US Amazon for whatever reason). They're even scheduled to be released around the same time (May, 2009).

As for the "Indiana Jones" by Library Binding, I'm not sure what that is. Probably a supplementary book like the Ultimate Guide/Lost Journal, etc.

DIrishB

DarthGemni said:
Cool, thanks for taking the time to clear all that up for me...! It's gonna be a good year for Indy books, looks like!

Absolutely. Add on to that the Dark Horse reprints of the old Marvel series The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones (3 volumes), and hopefully another new Indy mini series by them as well by the end of next year, AND the upcoming video game...yeah, 2009 is looking like a big year for Indy.