My Indy costume on a budget

indyclone25

Ghostsoldier said:
Aww....you mean my deed to the Brooklyn Bridge is no good?:D ;)
Rob
sorry rob i was trying to show you something i saw --- sorry if i got us in trouble --- but hey if you want to sell me the brooklyn bridge i've got an extra 50 bucks ?(y)

Ghostsoldier

indyclone25 said:
sorry rob i was trying to show you something i saw --- sorry if i got us in trouble --- but hey if you want to sell me the brooklyn bridge i've got an extra 50 bucks ?(y)

No worries here, friend...I appreciate the tip....;) ...thanks for looking out for me!
And yep....50 bucks oughtta buy you a nice chunk of NY real estate....for another 50, I'll throw in the old Yankee Stadium uptown!:D
Rob

Raider S

If you look over at the Indy Lounge or Club Obi-Wan someone has posted pics of the lottery jacket they just got...

indyclone25

i think it still looks pretty good ---even tho he didn't like it that much ---he even states that the way its made kinda resembles us wings

Lambonius

I've been an Indy fan all my life; I'm 25, and over the years I've collected numerous items of clothing and gear towards a great Indy costume. Yesterday I made what is quite possibly my best budget find ever--A pretty spot on Indy leather jacket (unofficial, of course) for $1 at a used vintage shop in the City Museum in St. Louis. It's pretty beat up, but that just adds to the character! I'm very happy with it, and I feel oh so frugal.

The rest of the ensemble has been either free or extremely cheap. In fact, the only thing that I actually bought at a store specifically for the costume was the shirt, and I paid under 20 bucks for it.

Here's my cost breakdown on the items I've collected over the years:

Hat: free, birthday present from when I was like 6 years old (for my Indy Halloween costume that year, naturally--I've since grown into it.)

Pants: free, hand-me-down from one of my best friends' older brothers

Shirt: $15, got it at an outdoorsy fish & game hunting store. It's not completely screen accurate, but it IS khaki instead of white, and it has the two pleated breast pockets, so it works for me.

Bag: free, was my grandpa's from WWII, I lengthened the strap a bit with an old duffle-bag strap.

Whip: $12, got it one year at a fair when I was a kid, I've actually modified it a bit for the costume: dyed it dark brown, and re-weaved part of it with leather strips to make it a few feet longer.

Jacket: Like I said, $1 dollar at the St. Louis City Museum's vintage store. What a great find!

Gun-belt, holster, and whip-holder: the gun-belt is one of those old olive drab canteen belts. I think it was my dad's from when he was a kid; not sure though. I've had it forever. I dyed it for the costume to make it darker and less green. Holster was $3 at a garage sale. I used the metal clip from the belt's canteen to attach the holster. The whip-holder is just a brown shoe-lace off an old pair of shoes.

Belt: just your standard department store belt, approx: $10; didn't buy it for the costume, but I've found it works about as well as any other belt.

Shoes: just your standard department store brown leather shoes, approx: $35, I actually didn't buy them for the costume, but it turned out that they worked perfectly, so now that's pretty much the only thing I wear them for.

So all in all, if you only count the pieces that I bought specifically with the intent of using them in my Indy costume, I spent a grand total of $31 dollars on it. Counting the belt and shoes, which I already owned and wear with normal clothes, make that $76 dollars. Anyway, it may not be perfectly screen accurate, but it's gotten some great responses at parties, and I feel nerdily cool in it. :cool:

Happy budget hunting, troops!

miscpics166.jpg

miscpics169.jpg

indyclone25

vwery nice glad to see another indy in his outfit --- " soon indygear will rule the world" so far the cheapest --- great going

indyclone25

yippee!!! i finally recieved my jacket that i won on ebay ---- it looks great , just a little lighter than i would like , but it gives it a lived in look. it is light jacket which is good , so in the winter if i wear a heavy sweater under it it won't be too snug . let me know what you think here a few pics of me in it ...........
indycollectionstuff007.jpg

indycollectionstuff008.jpg

indyclone25

yeah not bad for the price of 97dollars. cause beklieve i see what people are asking for theses jackets online
but i may still buy a todds jacket right after my bithday in early sept.

Mickiana

Guys (and girls), your budget Indy costumes are admirable. When I have finally got all my gear together, I will start a thread under a different topic - The Blown Out Budget! I have spent thousands and I haven't finished. Scary...

Indyclone, the jacket looks great. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I thought I'd post a few more pics I took in my costume, just screwing around in the rec room I'm making in my basement. Also, a couple pics from going to see Crystal Skull at a cool old theater tonight. Sooner or later, I'm going to get outside and get some proper Indy pics!

palace002.jpg

palace004.jpg

palace005.jpg

palace010.jpg

palace011.jpg

palace006.jpg

Patty Boh

Here I'll jump in on this thread. I didn't quite make my outfit for as cheap as everyone else did but a lot of what I bought I can wear with regular clothes so I figured that justified it...

2755874548_d07fe3d0d0_o.jpg

Hat is the "super" Indy hat which was about $100
Shirt is from H&M for about $30
Pants from H&M for $30
Belt is maybe $20, it's a leather belt and not a web like the real one, I may change that later.
Holster and whip holder was like $25 from ebay. It had a belt to but it was ugly and stiff and I decided not to use it. I actually got another black holster that looks pretty worn from an army surplus store, might use that in the future.
The bag was $25 from ebay. The leather strap I took off a bag I got at the rennfest so it took about $2 in hardware to attach it to that bag.
The whip is the Indiana Jones Halloween whip for like $7 off ebay. I will be getting the noble collection whip when it comes out.
The shoes which you can't see are brown Doc Martens which cost like $100 I think. But I had been wanting a nice pair of Docs so I can wear them with other clothes.

indyclone25

very nice --- very nice - right now target has khaki pants on sale and they have them in three different shades , the normal khaki brown and gray if i remmber correctly only 19.99 i have to buy me a pair of each just to have regular pants anyway. just figure you might want to check it out ?

Mickiana

Not bad Patty. You look like you been in some action. Seeing an Indy in that modern setting is interesting.

indyclone25

here are some current pics ---with my old fedora that i reshaped ( hat that my grandfather gave me ) i put a new ribbon on it and i think it came out ok let me know what you think
markasindianajones005-1.jpg

markasindianajones007.jpg

markasindianajones008.jpg

with my new dorfman

markasindianajones011-1.jpg

markasindianajones012-1.jpg