The Devils Lair

Couple this with the Gate in Turkmenistan and Rodin's sculpture and you have one Hell of a story!

Devil's Lair (Australia)

Devil's Lair is an archaeological cave site located in Western Australia, which earliest has been dated to approximately 41,000-46,000 years ago and perhaps earlier still. The site is a large limestone cave consisting of four nested hearths, the lowest of which has been dated using OSL to between 41,200-46,500 years ago, consistent with radiocarbon dates on younger layers.

Very few artifacts have been recovered from these layers, and some of them may have been washed into the cave by erosion. The site was excavated by Charles Dortch in the 1970s.

Sources
This glossary entry is part of the About.com Guide to Populating Australia and the Dictionary of Archaeology.

Dortch, Charles. 1979. Devil's Lair, an Example of Prolonged Cave Use in South-Western Australia. World Archaeology 10(3):258-279.

O'Connell, James F. and Jim Allen 2004 Dating the colonization of Sahul (Pleistocene Australia--New Guinea): A review of recent research. Journal of Archaeological Science 31:835-853.

tambourineman

Theres actually quite a lot of very interesting archaeological sites in Australia that pre-date european discovery by hundreds, even thousands, of years, but for some reason are dismissed by academics. For example, in Queensland there is evidence of ancient gold mine shafts and smelting pits and even tools. Somebody wrote a book about them theorising that it could even be the site of Ophir (Solomons lost gold mines). I've always thought Ophir could make a great macguffin for an Indy film.

Think about the history of the Devil across cultures and Indy 5 having do deal with temptation and repentance...a visit to Australia would give us another wide variety of topographical climates, (including my favorite Indy setting: desert).

DoomTown

Rocket Surgeon said:
Think about the history of the Devil across cultures and Indy 5 having do deal with temptation and repentance...a visit to Australia would give us another wide variety of topographical climates, (including my favorite Indy setting: desert).

Liking the idea Rocket!!!!

Didn't Temple already deal with the issue of temptation and repentance??? I would definitly like to see Indy in Australia, but would also like to see Indy in a colder climate, maybe a bit more reminiscent of "The Thing", perhaps some sort of mystery in the arctic...forgive me, I am reading "Hollow Earth" right now...:hat:

KVoss said:
Liking the idea Rocket!!!!

Didn't Temple already deal with the issue of temptation and repentance??? I would definitly like to see Indy in Australia, but would also like to see Indy in a colder climate, maybe a bit more reminiscent of "The Thing", perhaps some sort of mystery in the arctic...forgive me, I am reading "Hollow Earth" right now...:hat:

Well you know me, (however much I love Itchy and Scratchy),I'm looking for a bit less cartoon hands in the story.

Ready for this one?

Mawson Peak provides all the snow you might want AND it's an active volcano...

Archaeologist

I would just like to see Indy in the jungle for a movie. Not for a few moments (Raiders), or underneath it (Temple with exception for a few moments), or racing through it as if to get out of it as fast as they can (KotCS). Seems to me like Kingdom cut through some potentially good jungle scenes with the "map and red line" and Jungle Chase scenes.
Also, I think Indy is too holistic in his esoteric studies to keep falling into the biblicalesque themes. 1:2 is enough of a ratio for Indy. For a change, why not try something really esoteric, not Christian, Hindu, or UFO-esque, but something like what the Maya or Aztec actually believe (no, I am NOT talking about 2012, that is a misunderstanding of Mayan beliefs).

But since we have deciphered the Mayan script since the '50s, it makes a good starting point for a new McGuffin. New Religious Icon, Better Jungle Setting, Good Excuse for Russians to still be bad guys, Maybe a Lost City for more than a few moments, that close to the Caribbean you could put in a good pirate/colonial ship scene... Just thinking out loud though. Also, a lot of australian archaeology is prehistoric (simply meaning without written text of the indigenous population) archaeology; not really Indy's field. Although oral histories and sailor stories would be a good excuse to explore Australia...(y)

kongisking

Indeed. Aussies are Aussome! I'd love to see Indy taking on some badass bommerang-wielding, boladora-tossing Aborigines, like in Issue #6* of Marvel Comics' Further Adventures!

*Was it Issue 6? I can't quite remember: I was just guessing...don't got the Omnibus close by, you see.

kongisking said:
Indeed. Aussies are Aussome! I'd love to see Indy taking on some badass bommerang-wielding, boladora-tossing Aborigines, like in Issue #6* of Marvel Comics' Further Adventures!

*Was it Issue 6? I can't quite remember: I was just guessing...don't got the Omnibus close by, you see.

I haven't picked up the new Omnibus yet, but I think it's in there.

Think of the outback/bar fight he could get into/out of/through!

Maybe get a Paul Hogan cameo...

Devil?s Lair is a single-chamber cave with a floor area of around 200 square metres that formed in a Quaternary dune limestone of the Leeuwin?Naturaliste Ridge, 5 kilometres from the modern coastline of Western Australia.

That's roughly six bowling lanes side by side...right?