Possible first glimpse of the "alien ship" in flight.

Zorg

Why would they have show us the Roswell crash itself? It's enough to just say that it happened.

Somehow this is connected to the opening/warehouse/rocket sled/Doom Town thing.

isaac_z

NileQT87 said:
massively doubt that it's a rocket sled making a giant explosion of light. rocket sleds just go really fast... not make giant balls of flash.

i don't know, if they're taking this scene from the Saucermen script, there was a pretty big ball of fire behind the sled. Big enough to fry a villain.

AHegele

at first i thought it might be rosewell, but that happened ten years before KotCS. I'm leaning toward the rocket sled or atom test theory.

Perhilion

I don't think it's the rocket sled, in the video you can clearly see that it's in the sky and rocket sleds usually don't fly.

tocksic

It's the fridge.

tracekr6.jpg

effin

same sunset vibe, the terrain is desert, smoke trail behind the fire, fast straight line, I'm about 90% sure.

agentsands77

effin said:
same sunset vibe, the terrain is desert, smoke trail behind the fire, fast straight line, I'm about 90% sure.
Yeah, I can see it. It's probably the rocket sled. A HQ clip will verify/deny that, but for now, I'm with ya.

joelwatts

Pretty sure it the sled. You can just barely make out the sage brush in the foreground. I can see how some might think its all couds around, but I think its definitley the desert ground on the lower half of the screen. The atmospheric lighting corresponds to an earlier sunset at the hangar, and twilight (the pic of indy at night in sillouette) after he gets off the sled?

Tom Cook

Note well:

Indy's arrival in Doom Town, AT DAWN, (note the sun shining thru windows, on dummy's faces) is the metaphorical dawn of a new disturbing era in weaponry and war. Things are 'not as easy as they used to be'.

This sets the hyper-intense urgent/panick-striken 'red'-fearing tone of the whole movie therafter. This was the essential atmosphere of the fifties, and of this film, which is akin to all previous IJ-films, 'a period film'.

I'd go with the atomic blast theory. It looks exactly like the atomic tests that I have attended. I should know, I've attended quite a few.

-Jones-

Tom Cook said:
Indy's arrival in Doom Town, AT DAWN, (note the sun shining thru windows, on dummy's faces) is the metaphorical dawn of a new disturbing era in weaponry and war. Things are 'not as easy as they used to be'.

Sorry, but this sound like overinterpretation ;).

Gobi-1

Tom Cook said:
Note well:

This sets the hyper-intense urgent/panick-striken 'red'-fearing tone of the whole movie therafter. This was the essential atmosphere of the fifties, and of this film, which is akin to all previous IJ-films, 'a period film'.

Excellent analyses. Spielberg and Lucas are very deliberate in their use of visual cues to add more meaning to a film. Even if it's very subtle. The first act will set the tone for the rest of the film so it only makes sense that a new Indy movie in a new time period would begin at dawn.

The Man

Having studied that shot - albeit in Youtube quality - it's almost certainly the sled travelling along a desert road. You can see the path illuminated in front of the driver. Still it and see...

ufouf6.jpg

isaac_z

well, now that we think that it's the sled, just one question: do you think this is an indy-esque shot?

i don't know. for me, if this is in fact the rocket sled, this shot is far too distanced. correct me if i'm wrong, but most of the camera-work in the previous films implied large expanses of space/desert, but rarely (cases being the bridge scene in TOD and the tank in LC) showed the size on screen. even in those few instances, the camera was most often close to either a character or the action of the scene itself. so, unless this is a character's perspective or a misinterpretation on our part, i think this shot marks a compositional/cinematic change from the originals, as, i think, does the aerial shots over the car chase on the cliff and, to a larger degree, over the moving columns.

but then again, this could be a homage to the period films, as has been mentioned, which at times showed large, open spaces, as opposed to the close camera work in the republic serials of the thirties.

just my two cents.