John Hurt Speaks (a little)

Finn

Staff member
Blue Jay said:
I wonder what he meant with "his character was always expected"
Actually, Hurt didn't say that. Empire did.

So technically all it says that Empire believes he plays a certain role, Hurt's quote simply says is that he's in the second half of the movie and certainly involved quite a bit.

It makes an excellent smokescreen, btw. They must be aware of the buzz that goes on around Hurt's role and who people believe him to be, and they're simply glad to spread the ambiguity to keep some secrets in reins. But eh. We shall see in few months.

trippweeder

Finn said:
Actually, Hurt didn't say that. Empire did.

So technically all it says that Empire believes he plays a certain role, Hurt's quote simply says is that he's in the second half of the movie and certainly involved quite a bit.

It makes an excellent smokescreen, btw. They must be aware of the buzz that goes on around Hurt's role and who people believe him to be, and they're simply glad to spread the ambiguity to keep some secrets in reins. But eh. We shall see in few months.

We may feel unduly starved of info thus far, but with every passing clue the marketing for this movie feels smarter and fresher than that for any other recent blockbuster. We know just enough to keep us hooked and not fatigued.

DreamsOfDoom

even though I know Abner was always interested in the Ark, perhaps he disappeared with some people to explore the whereabouts of the crystal skull, and when they found it, he was transported to the alien world thanks to the skull (after all, some have said that the powers of the skull would be teleportation) and hence why he hasn't been in the story since then..
(although it still wouldn't explain why Marion said Abners dead) but whatever.
when Indy finds the skull, it would re-activate and send Abner back into the story. But again, very very unlikely. (and also it would be too much like that Tomb Raider movie where Lara meets her father again) :p

DreamsOfDoom said:
even though I know Abner was always interested in the Ark, perhaps he disappeared with some people to explore the whereabouts of the crystal skull, and when they found it, he was transported to the alien world thanks to the skull (after all, some have said that the powers of the skull would be teleportation) and hence why he hasn't been in the story since then..
(although it still wouldn't explain why Marion said Abners dead) but whatever.
when Indy finds the skull, it would re-activate and send Abner back into the story. But again, very very unlikely. (and also it would be too much like that Tomb Raider movie where Lara meets her father again) :p

Ha. Thats ridiculous. Much more likely is that he was captured by the Russians, miniaturised and injected into their mutant bio-monster Elvis Presley, only to be shaken loose in 1957 by one pelvic thrust too many.

DreamsOfDoom

replican't said:
Ha. Thats ridiculous. Much more likely is that he was captured by the Russians, miniaturised and injected into their mutant bio-monster Elvis Presley, only to be shaken loose in 1957 by one pelvic thrust too many.

Hahahahah!!!! (y)

The fact that the 'Ravenwood Theory' has never been denied by any Lucasfilm chief whips is enough, for me, to confirm the rumour. Hurt is just so Abner-ish. :D

Kingsley

Why connect Abner with the skulls if there are strong hints the Ark will play a role too?
I agree with Finn, they are playing with the old rumours ambiguity... but a lot of those rumours where confirmed ultimately.

And I remember a meeting between Spielberg and the "gossip reporters" at the end of the shooting days... After that, no really new rumour surfaced. Whas that meeting an agreement between them?

Niteshade007

Blue Jay said:
that is really cool!!!

I wonder what he meant with "his character was always expected"

Actually the sentence reads "his character was always expected...[to be a cameo]" I forgot the end part, but it dealt with a cameo-like role. Hurt is saying that his role is much larger and that he is in action sequences in the second half.

Dr.Sartorius

herr gruber said:
The fact that the 'Ravenwood Theory' has never been denied by any Lucasfilm chief whips is enough, for me, to confirm the rumour. Hurt is just so Abner-ish. :D

Abner-ish? We have never seen this character before...

Dr.Sartorius said:
Abner-ish? We have never seen this character before...

Dr. S, Abner-ish as in Abner-like. Check out the definition of 'ish' in 'The Dictionary Of Word Extensions' by Graham Drivel.

:D

Dr.Sartorius

herr gruber said:
Dr. S, Abner-ish as in Abner-like. Check out the definition of 'ish' in 'The Dictionary Of Word Extensions' by Graham Drivel.

:D

I know what "ish" means. (y)

BTW I think David Crosby is rather Abner-ish also.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I still don't buy him being Ravenwood. I just don't think so. Isn't he supposed to be Ox? The dude who wrote the letter that Mutt delivers to Indy according to those junior novel descriptions? Or are people just sooo convinced he's Abner and the ark is like, so involved? That's not to say, that the ark isn't involved, as Marion would be enough for evidence for the Ark to be involved rather than just kidnapped by Ruskies to blackmail Indy into finding the skull. Then again, I've been wrong about this movie before.