Customizing Indy Figures

Luke Sprywalker

Dark Horse - these new customs are very interesting. can't wait to see a few shots for the photo novel, great Idea for the cameo in there.

I am trying to finish up the diorama before I do anything else. I added on a bit so it would be a little more accurate. There are a few things still to add and still working on the washes over everything to get the right color. I plan to touch up a few places with the tan wash then go with dark brown for the final one. Here are a few pictures.

This is what was added. I decided to make the area where the guard sneaks up on Willie and Shorty at the top.

DSC_0002-7.jpg

DSC_0001-13.jpg

DSC_0003-8.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0011-7.jpg

DSC_0007-7.jpg

DSC_0014-3.jpg

Lance Quazar

Dark Horse,

Awesome job on that Pat Roach character custom. The sanding is really incredible, you did a terrific job shaping that head.

Love the idea of having Pat "play" a new character in your photonovel! From the early pics we've seen, it looks like it'll be awesome!!!

Really great job.

Spry,

The temple diorama looks awesome! GREAT job with the floor. The whole project has come together beautifully!

now that we've seen how the whole piece looks, when you get a chance, go back and take some "in character" action/story pics where we can't see the edges.

And maybe break out the sweet "red" lighting effects, too.

Really great job from both of you guys, your work is always delightful and inspiring!!!!

(y)

Luke Sprywalker

Thanks for the comments guys, this one has been a lot of fun. I still have a few things to add and lance I do plan to take a few screenshot style photos when everything is just right. I watched this scene for the 100th time tonight and it looks like I may have gone a little dark on the brown. I am trying to decide and am open to suggestions about the color. I like the way photos will be darker with the color it is now and don't want it to end up to light. Also I am in need of 2 more of the skull/blood of Kali cups. If anyone has 1 or more for trade it would make my day. Then I can finish the area under the Shakra Stones.

Goonie - I'm lost?...

Lambonius

Any thoughts on what you're going to do next, Luke? Might I suggest Grail Temple or Tomb of Sir Richard? ;) I've been wishing some customizer with skills beyond mine would do a Venice Elsa, too. :p

Luke Sprywalker

Lambonius - I still have a few things to finish up on this one. After that there are a few figures in my bin I need to finish up. As far as the next diorama I want to do the inside of a temple or pyramid. I have some columns and statuary that needs a home.

Does anyone have input on the color of the diorama?

Lance Quazar

Regarding the color, I think it's definitely okay to be darker than the film.

I might even suggest going darker than what you already have if you really do consider a repaint (though I don't think one is necessary.)

Considering you won't have access to feature film quality lighting and cinematography when your piece is displayed at home, the dark color will definitely help give it a more sinister, creepy, and, well, darker, atmosphere.

(y)

JgonzalezNJ

NickTurner said:
With Indy toys going on clearance I wanted to post these incomplete "concepts" for custom figures in case others want to try them out.

Hatay_gunman.jpg

By head-swapping and addition of a 21st Century rifle, we have the makings of a - what were they called in the Last Crusade? Brothers of the Cruciform Cross, or something? The guys that tried to shoot up Donovan and the tank. A bit of paint, and maybe add some boots?

Indy_officer.jpg

Indy as German officer from Last Crusade. This is the talking Indy 12 inch figure with the German officer hat and jacket. Just needs a few added details. By looking carefully at screen shots I think Indy still has his brown pants on. BTW, does everyone know that Hasbro re-did the talking Indy head? This is MUCH better than the first version.

German_desert.jpg

The "leftover" German got Indy's shirt and a hat from a 21st Century Afrika Korps guy to become a German desert soldier, so nothing is wasted!

You just need to get him some gloved hands, I did the same with one of my Talkers:
http://gijoecollection.lenzus.com/cgi/item?15537335+21480713+0+97612046+1

Luke Sprywalker

Got 1 of the small details done for the diorama...

This is the skeleton that comes with Amanaman and the arm and leg has been repositioned. I drilled holes and inserted a toothpick for the arm and leg I have to sculpt. The head is from a generic $store halloween skeleton.

DSC_0003-9.jpg

This is how it looked after a primer coat on the fix it.

DSC_0006-9.jpg

I made some shackles out of 3 key ring chains and here he is in action.

DSC_0015-2.jpg

with a little more light to see the details.

DSC_0016-3.jpg

Here are a few shots of the balcony, and now I need to make a new Willie.

DSC_0017-2.jpg

DSC_0019-3.jpg

DSC_0018-3.jpg

This is another small detail for the diorama. I thought I was done but the photos show that I need to touch up the white lines 1 last time. It also shows that I need a new very small paintbrush. These lines are so thin!

DSC_0008-5.jpg

DSC_0010-5.jpg

I stopped in the middle of painting when I realized I never photographed the sculpt. So that is it for WIP pics.

DSC_0011-8.jpg

DSC_0012-3.jpg

Now I just need to cut off the neck post and hollow out the head. Can anyone tell what head I started with?

Dark Horse

Great mods to the skeleton, mate.

I used to use that figure as an actual character lol. I called him Norbert. All he could do was deliver an enziguri kick. :D

Lance Quazar

Wow! The amount of work you're putting into this diorama is incredible.

This is a wonderful piece that only keeps getting better!!!

JgonzalezNJ

KSC2-303 said:
Hey everyone. I know the new 12" figures haven't been well received, but with a little work you can really do them some justice.

This is a combination of both the Talking and Whipping Hasbro Indys. Nothing has been added except some paint.

fin3.jpg

indycustom1.jpg

If anyone's interested. I can post a tutorial over in the fanwork forum.

KSC2-303, thanks so much for that tutorial - it was so imformative. I did not want to do any painting as you suggested although it is very tempting but I did soften the jacket and and re-shaped and I can't believe what a difference it made, I am on my second jacket.:hat:

Luke Sprywalker

My son and I had a great time yesterday playing with the diorama and we managed to snap a few pics before Deadpool showed up and killed everyone other than Indy and Shorty.

Finished the Thugee

DSC_0004-10.jpg

Here is our little set

DSC_0016-4.jpg

DSC_0020-4.jpg

DSC_0018-4.jpg

DSC_0015-3.jpg

DSC_0013-4.jpg

DSC_0008-6.jpg

DSC_0005-11.jpg

DSC_0006-10.jpg

Dark Horse

Nice work, mate!

Here's a german cargo truck/ oil tanker conversion I'm working on -

100_6152.jpg

100_6153.jpg

100_6149.jpg

100_6150.jpg

100_6155.jpg

100_6156.jpg

I took the roof rack to Halfords with me to try and do a paint match. Turns out the paint is nothing like the colour on the lid. F'ing s**t. That'll go back for a refund! I ordered some Humbrol spray so I'll redo it again when that arrives (and add the decals).

Also made a gas attendant bod/ driver.

100_6157.jpg

100_6158.jpg

100_6160.jpg

The main tank section is a plastic mineral water bottle section that I filled with builder's foam. Then I filled the ends flat with car filler. The plastic ends are offcuts from the Mark VII plastic (ABS 3.2mm) screwed into the car filler. The dome shape thing on the cab is an aftershave bottle lid, the tank hatch thing is the water bottle lid, the segmented tube at the back is from MLS Doc Ock, the green bit under that is from Mecha Hulk, The tubing is Joe tube from Smalljoes, the pump is a Grievous blaster cut in half with the hose pushed through, the reel is an R/C tank wheel (screwed in so it spins), and the girder is just a section from a model shop. I just pieced it together out of my shapes box really.

Lance Quazar

Great shots of the diorama, Spry! Really looks terrific "in action."

Love the WIP pics of the gas truck, Dark Horse. Looks like you have another masterpiece in the making!

Errex

Most impressive truck conversion!

On an unrelated note, Can the mask on the Cemetery Warrior be removed using acetone?, I know dunking the head in acetone would completaly remove the paint but, Will it also dissolve the glue that holds the mask in place?

JgonzalezNJ

OT Question

Dark Horse said:
Nice work, mate!

Here's a german cargo truck/ oil tanker conversion I'm working on -

100_6152.jpg

100_6153.jpg

100_6149.jpg

100_6150.jpg

100_6155.jpg

100_6156.jpg

I took the roof rack to Halfords with me to try and do a paint match. Turns out the paint is nothing like the colour on the lid. F'ing s**t. That'll go back for a refund! I ordered some Humbrol spray so I'll redo it again when that arrives (and add the decals).

Also made a gas attendant bod/ driver.

100_6157.jpg

100_6158.jpg

100_6160.jpg

The main tank section is a plastic mineral water bottle section that I filled with builder's foam. Then I filled the ends flat with car filler. The plastic ends are offcuts from the Mark VII plastic (ABS 3.2mm) screwed into the car filler. The dome shape thing on the cab is an aftershave bottle lid, the tank hatch thing is the water bottle lid, the segmented tube at the back is from MLS Doc Ock, the green bit under that is from Mecha Hulk, The tubing is Joe tube from Smalljoes, the pump is a Grievous blaster cut in half with the hose pushed through, the reel is an R/C tank wheel (screwed in so it spins), and the girder is just a section from a model shop. I just pieced it together out of my shapes box really.

How does one post picture? I tried and I get the small "x" out boxes, sorry to ask here.:confused: