The Lost Dutchman's Mine!

roundshort

All budding Indy's will be happy/sad to hear that one of the most fabled treasure hunts is over, and for nothing! Deep in the Heart of the Superstition Mountians the mine of the lost Dutchman was found, but none of the hidden gold or treasure was there! Where are the millions of gold and silver bullion? Get out the whip, put on the hat, find a dame and get it!

San Holo

roundshort said:
All budding Indy's will be happy/sad to hear that one of the most fabled treasure hunts is over, and for nothing! Deep in the Heart of the Superstition Mountians the mine of the lost Dutchman was found, but none of the hidden gold or treasure was there! Where are the millions of gold and silver bullion? Get out the whip, put on the hat, find a dame and get it!
Haven't heard about the discovery.When was it found and what was in it?

roundshort

They found it this summer, took a few months to actually dig into it. There will be a documentary called the "Last Treasure Hunt" and there is info on it at dutchhunter.com

Finn

Staff member
Funny that he's called a Dutchman, since wasn't he originally from Germany?

roundshort

Your talking about an area in America that used to call every blond hair, blue eyed guy "Swede" These ol' Cowboys used to call Germans "Dutch" becuase they were from "Deutschland"

Deutsch = Dutch

These some Bad M-F'ers, but some didn't have any education

otto rahn

Plenty more "lost mines" out there"Lost Adams", "Sierra Azul", "Lost Padre". "Lost Silver Mine Of Monument Valley", just to drop a few names in the U S Southwest alone !

sandiegojones

Any more news about this? I live close to the Superstition Mountains and hike there regularly.

I'm aware of all of the various legends but have not heard of any "official" find. I know a guy who is an expert who claims to know where it is, but he won't say because it's government property.

San Holo

sandiegojones said:
Any more news about this? I live close to the Superstition Mountains and hike there regularly.

I'm aware of all of the various legends but have not heard of any "official" find. I know a guy who is an expert who claims to know where it is, but he won't say because it's government property.
I still haven't heard anything...did you ever see the old Unsolved Mysteries episode about the Lost Dutchman? Pretty good stuff(y) That's cool that you hike out there, maybe you should bring along a metal detector on your next run;)

WilliamBoyd8

You could locate a copy of Barry Storm's book "Thunder Gods' Gold"
or the 1949 film "Lust for Gold" based on it.
The film is on DVD and is quite good.
Storm did a lot of research on the mine and mountains in the 1940's.
:)

Raiders90

Bump. This subject has become of interest to me as of late and I haven't read of any official find.

Anyone care to discuss the legends and the facts?

Joosse

Being Dutch myself I can assure you that as a nation we are extremely good explorers, always keep a compass and never get lost.

So I'm afraid that I have to add the 'lost Dutchman' to the world of fables... ;)

We are however better known for our aviational skills, so you'll find refrences to flying Dutchmen all over the place...

Joosse

WilliamBoyd8 said:
By the way, the "Lost Dutchman" was a German.

Well, that explains why he got lost.

Germans are always loosing things, like football matches and World Wars... ;)

otto rahn

Does the "lost" in this context refer to the Dutchman or the mine ? I have a book that probably mentions it, but it is towards the bottem of a pile and I can't be bothered to dig it out. Hmm! Reading my copy of "Dig Here" by Thomas Penfield doesn't really answer the question. It does however suggest that the "Dutchman" may have murdered the Mexicans who had originally discovered the mine !