The Perils of Cupid - Vienna, 1908

IndyJr.

I've been watching through the Young Indiana Jones DVD Volume 1 and I finished My First Adventure and Passion for Life. I also finished most of The Perils of Cupid. I finished the first part, anyways.

I have to say that Vienna, 1908 is one of my all time favorite episodes.

I'm a 16 year old boy, and I'm not gay, and I find this episode really nice! I think it's so... sweet (best word I could come up with).

The more I see of Corey Carrier, the more I wish they would've made more with him in it. ;)

Flannery10

Why would anyone say you're gay? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Indy is in love with a girl his age and the humor was supposed to be for both genders. Anyway, it's not a bad episode, but in my opinion far from being the best. Some scenes are just way too "funny", and I don't think some of those were meant to be that way.
But like I said, some good and funny scenes and I'd give it a 3.5/5, just my opinion though.

Adamwankenobi

IndyJr. said:

I think it's so... sweet (best word I could come up with).

The more I see of Corey Carrier, the more I wish they would've made more with him in it. ;)

I agree 100%. (y)

IndyJr.

I personally hated Florence... Puccini is such a mad dog... trying to take away a married woman who loves her husband away with him. I think it's completely stupid. Puccini was such a over dramatic idiot. (in the movie anyways)

About Vienna, I think that girl was so gorgeous! :D

Matinee Idyll

IndyJr. said:
I personally hated Florence... Puccini is such a mad dog... trying to take away a married woman who loves her husband away with him. I think it's completely stupid. Puccini was such a over dramatic idiot. (in the movie anyways)

Um, you hate the episode because one of the characters is 'bad'? Riiiight.

It's brilliant, Annas turmoil is brilliantly portrayed.

Flannery10

Even though I don't think of Vienna as briliant, I think it's better than Florence. Florence is more about Indy's mother than about Indy himself, who's really just witnessing some scenes and doesn't really participare in the main events of the episode. Don't get me wrong, I don't "hate" Florence (in fact, I don't really hate any Young Indy episode) but Florence is worse than Vienna and perhaps I was a little to strict with Vienna, too.

Stoo

Matinee Idyll said:
It's brilliant, Annas turmoil is brilliantly portrayed.
Especially in the private scene of Miss Seymour confronting her
about the affair (with Indy spying on them). More personal baggage
for Indy to carry along...

Matinee Idyll

Flannery10 said:
Florence is more about Indy's mother than about Indy himself, who's really just witnessing some scenes and doesn't really participare in the main events of the episode.

I'm not sure what your problem with this could be... I thought you'd have relished the opportunity to get some insight into one of the major influences on Indys life, who is only mentioned in passing in Last Crusade.

I think Ruth acquits herself quite brilliantly in the episode, great performance.

Flannery10

Matinee Idyll said:
I'm not sure what your problem with this could be... I thought you'd have relished the opportunity to get some insight into one of the major influences on Indys life, who is only mentioned in passing in Last Crusade.

I think Ruth acquits herself quite brilliantly in the episode, great performance.

No, don't get me wrong. I certainly appreciate it, that we see Anna in a bigger role, I just didn't really like the way this episode was done. As always, there's nothing wrong with the costumes, the music and the acting. It's just that in my opinion Vienna is better!

Flannery10

Since I couldn't edit my previous post, I just wanted to put something else.

In favor of Florence I have to say, it was probably a lot better in the George Hall episode style. I have never seen it that way, and only linked to Vienna. Even though both of those episodes are about love they don't go well together for two reasons

1) Vienna is a funny episode in some ways, especially when Indy asks Franz Ferdiand to marry Sophie and Florence is a dramatic and serious episode without much humor, so I got bored pretty fast. In 45-minute episode style without Vienna in front of it, it's probably a lot better, I'll have to admit that.

2) Because, as always, I hated the linking segment, in which Corey looks a lot older than in the actual episodes.

And as I said before, there is not a single Young Indy episode I actually hate but there are some, I like better than others. I hope you'll understand that Matinee;)

IndyJr.

well... let me rephrase... I don't like Florence... It's not so much Puccini... as it is... well... Puccini... confusing, I know... fact is, I don't mind a bad guy... but the way the actor was, it was... a little... boring... overdramatic... and... well... boring...

Vienna was sweet... Florence is boring. nuff said. :sleep:

Raiders90

IndyJr. said:
well... let me rephrase... I don't like Florence... It's not so much Puccini... as it is... well... Puccini... confusing, I know... fact is, I don't mind a bad guy... but the way the actor was, it was... a little... boring... overdramatic... and... well... boring...

Vienna was sweet... Florence is boring. nuff said. :sleep:

I thought Puccini was very...clingy...to say the least. In my experience, his attitude would scare most women away. Anna falling for him is something I don't understand; He comes off very needy. Why go with Puccini when her husband looks like a young Sean Connery?

Junior Jones

I just re-watched Florence, 1908 recently, and I can see how Anna was attracted to Puccini.

Henry is a scholar, often absorbed in his work. He loves his wife, and she knows it, but he doesn't demonstrate it very often. I'm sure when they were first married, he was much more attentive, but after at least ten years of marriage, he has begun to take her for granted.

Puccini, on the other hand, is passionate about her. He lavishes her with attention. He tells her she's beautiful, sends her gifts, wants to be near her constantly. He is obviously in love with her and demonstrates it.

So she knows Henry loves her, but doesn't necessarily feel it. And she feels that Puccini loves her, but doesn't know if it's real. So it's the classic struggle between the head and the heart.

By the way, I think this is also one of the best written episodes of the series. I love the way Miss Seymour's physics lessons always apply to the relationship issues that Indy is completely oblivious to. Greater distance reduces the amount of attraction; Friction generates heat; And so on.

Nurhachi1991

IndyJr. said:
I've been watching through the Young Indiana Jones DVD Volume 1 and I finished My First Adventure and Passion for Life. I also finished most of The Perils of Cupid. I finished the first part, anyways.

I'm a 16 year old boy, and I'm not gay, and I find this episode really nice! I think it's so... sweet (best word I could come up with).

I also enjoyed Vienna to. I guess the reason I liked it so much is it is likr the love you always want but most likely will never get.