TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 04-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #26
The Man
IndyFan

Apparently it's now called X-Files 2: I Want To Believe.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Apparently it's now called X-Files 2: I Want To Believe.

I want to believe that's not the title.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #28
eroc
IndyFan

I want to believe that they would let the X-Files die. Wasn't the first movie quite bad?
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #29
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc
I want to believe that they would let the X-Files die. Wasn't the first movie quite bad?

It was pretty awful. I tried watching it online yesterday and I found myself losing interest. Couldn't even finish it.

But this one's supposed to be more of a monster-of-the-week deal than an alien conspiracy story, so there might be hope.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #30
Iandiana
IndyFan

I want to believe I'll get my £15 back from the movie I bought with the tagline "Gillian Anderson NAKED: The truth is in there".

I was a kid at the time and in love with her but my money was wasted. She still is beautiful but I'm older and wiser now.
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:41 AM   #31
Agent Z
IndyFan

I don't know if I would consider the first X-Files movie "awful", but that's what comes with internet hyperbole. It was a decent film, nothing great, but it told a story and told it well in a competent fashion. Of course, in true C.C. fashion, it wrapped up none of the storylines....

As for the sequel's new title: wow, that's pretty bad......
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #32
The Man
IndyFan

That's the title, alright...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22393
Old 04-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #33
RelicHunter
IndyFan

I still hold to the fact that this movie has some good potential for new and old fans.
RelicHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #34
|ZiR|
IndyFan

!!! BREAKING NEWS !!!

Supposed synopsis (from the back of the novelization) has leaked!

"Mulder and Scully are back in the thrilling novelization of the summer 2008 blockbuster movie based on the classic X-Files TV show! When a group of women are abducted in the wintry hills of rural Virginia, the only clues to their disappearance are the grotesque human remains that begin to turn up in snow banks along the highway. With officials desperate for any lead, a disgraced priestís questionable ďvisionsĒ send local police on a wild goose chase and straight to a bizarre secret medical experiment that may or may not be connected to the womenís disappearance. Itís a case right out of The X-Files. But the FBI closed down its investigations into the paranormal years ago. And the best team for the job is ex-agents Fox Mulder and Dr. Dana Scully, who have no desire to revisit their dark past. Still, the truth of these horrific crimes is out there somewhere...and it will take Mulder and Scully to find it!"

Sounds cool. If it's true, that is.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #35
RelicHunter
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
!!! BREAKING NEWS !!!

"Mulder and Scully are back in the thrilling novelization of the summer 2008 blockbuster movie based on the classic X-Files TV show! When a group of women are abducted in the wintry hills of rural Virginia, the only clues to their disappearance are the grotesque human remains that begin to turn up in snow banks along the highway. With officials desperate for any lead, a disgraced priestís questionable ďvisionsĒ send local police on a wild goose chase and straight to a bizarre secret medical experiment that may or may not be connected to the womenís disappearance. Itís a case right out of The X-Files. But the FBI closed down its investigations into the paranormal years ago. And the best team for the job is ex-agents Fox Mulder and Dr. Dana Scully, who have no desire to revisit their dark past. Still, the truth of these horrific crimes is out there somewhere...and it will take Mulder and Scully to find it!"

I guess the plot sounds ok. I wouldn't say I am as excited about it as I was before I read it! Great post though.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #36
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

I am an X files fan, but I dont think this one is going to pull much of anyone (except die hard fans) back to theaters. Carter said he would love to do one more and have it lean toward the mythology one last time... and the timing would be good for that because according to the show the whole **** house goes up in flames and the invasion begins in dec 2012.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #37
The Man
IndyFan

P.P.P. (Pretty Polish Poster)...

Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #38
-Jones-
IndyFan

In fact, this is the international poster, but with Polish titles .

They did something strange to Duchovny's face
-Jones- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #39
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jones-
In fact, this is the international poster, but with Polish titles .

Looks quite glum and dumb, doesn't he?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #40
Paden
IndyFan

Honestly, I'm more enthused about this film that the first X-Files film, in part because it is a self-contained story. Much as I enjoyed the ongoing conspiracy plots, some of my favorite episodes were the "monster-of-the week" fare. However, I'd have to agree with prior speculation in this thread about the movie's success at the box office. Certainly longtime fans of the series will buy tickets, but I'm not sure how much interest the rest of the viewing public is going to have.
Paden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #41
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jones-

Anderson's face too. They've both got this waxdoll look going on. It's kinda freakin' me out. The whole thing looks like an amatur photoshop -- not something official. No KotC poster was ever this bad looking. :<

I love that they let Gillian keep her hair long for the role. I never understood why they kept in that awkward undercut bob for most of the series; much more attractive this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paden
Honestly, I'm more enthused about this film that the first X-Files film, in part because it is a self-contained story. Much as I enjoyed the ongoing conspiracy plots, some of my favorite episodes were the "monster-of-the week" fare.

The stand alone episodes were my favorites as well, which is why I have hope for this movie. No black oil, or super babies, thank you very much.

Quote:
However, I'd have to agree with prior speculation in this thread about the movie's success at the box office. Certainly longtime fans of the series will buy tickets, but I'm not sure how much interest the rest of the viewing public is going to have.

Oh, I think this movie is most definitely going to fail. The simply waited too long. Their audience has moved on in the meantime leaving only the die hard fans behind.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #42
MarxBrosFan
IndyFan

Quote:
!!! BREAKING NEWS !!!

"Mulder and Scully are back in the thrilling novelization of the summer 2008 blockbuster movie based on the classic X-Files TV show! When a group of women are abducted in the wintry hills of rural Virginia, the only clues to their disappearance are the grotesque human remains that begin to turn up in snow banks along the highway. With officials desperate for any lead, a disgraced priest’s questionable “visions” send local police on a wild goose chase and straight to a bizarre secret medical experiment that may or may not be connected to the women’s disappearance. It’s a case right out of The X-Files. But the FBI closed down its investigations into the paranormal years ago. And the best team for the job is ex-agents Fox Mulder and Dr. Dana Scully, who have no desire to revisit their dark past. Still, the truth of these horrific crimes is out there somewhere...and it will take Mulder and Scully to find it!"

I wonder why Mulder chooses to investigate this case. It seems kind of run of the mill. I hope they give him some special motivation for
coming out of retirement

I wasn't sure if my last sentence was a spoiler but it's better to be safe than sorry.
MarxBrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #43
RelicHunter
IndyFan

The poster looks kinda cool!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #44
The Man
IndyFan

New trailer...

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/37...er_050908.html
Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #45
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
New trailer...

Oh my.

Well that was... anticlimactic. I haven't been following this as closely as Indy IV, but I think we've seen most of the footage before; in the original trailor, and promo pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I really want this movie to rock. I'm not voting for it to fail. It just doesn't seem all that great right now. And I can but wonder if this film will possibly set up, or renew interest in another X-Files television series. Hmm.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #46
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Oh my.

Well that was... anticlimactic. I haven't been following this as closely as Indy IV, but I think we've seen most of the footage before; in the original trailor, and promo pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I really want this movie to rock. I'm not voting for it to fail. It just doesn't seem all that great right now. And I can but wonder if this film will possibly set up, or renew interest in another X-Files television series. Hmm.

How long did the series run for originally? I got lost after Mulder disappeared and Doggett came aboard.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #47
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
How long did the series run for originally? I got lost after Mulder disappeared and Doggett came aboard.

Nine seasons, from 1993 to 2002. I'm guessing you stopped stopped around season eight, which was pretty wise. Reyes and Doggett were a poor substitute for Mulder and Scully. They didn't have that certain spark which made the former so dynamic. Personally, I would've gone with partners of the same gender. That way sexual tension and inevitable comparisons to Mulder/Scully would have been minimized.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #48
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Nine seasons, from 1993 to 2002. I'm guessing you stopped stopped around season eight, which was pretty wise. Reyes and Doggett were a poor substitute for Mulder and Scully. They didn't have that certain spark which made the former so dynamic. Personally, I would've gone with partners of the same gender. That way sexual tension and inevitable comparisons to Mulder/Scully would have been minimized.

How did it all end? Were Scully and Mulder not featured in the finale?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #49
|ZiR|
IndyFan

Quote:
How did it all end? Were Scully and Mulder not featured in the finale?

No. Mulder appeared in plot heavy episodes and flashbacks. And Scully was in a good few of the episodes, occasionally showing up even once Reyes and Doggett took over. I haven't seen the final episode since it originally aired, so here's a synopis of it from the X-Files wikia. Credit goes to whomever.

When Fox Mulder is placed under military arrest, Scully and Skinner immediately travel to Virginia to see him. Mulder has been placed under arrest for breaking into Mount Weather - where he accessed information on alien technology - and allegedly killing Knowle Rohrer, Doggett's former army friend-turned-supersoldier.

While Mulder receives mysterious visits from phantoms of his past, Scully and Skinner go to great lengths to get him released, but he is ultimately put on trial - a trial with an outcome seemingly set from the start.

Skinner takes Mulder's defense, while Scully, Monica Reyes, Doggett, Marita Covarrubias, Gibson Praise and Jeffrey Spender take the stand. Although they ultimately prove his case - when Scully discovers that the body is not that of Knowle Rohrer - their testimony is overruled and Mulder is sentenced to death.

With the surprising help of Deputy Director Alvin Kersh, the group break him free and Mulder and Scully drive off. Despite being told to get out of the country, Mulder drives instead south to New Mexico. Doggett and Reyes return to find their office emptied, suggesting that the X-Files have been closed down for a third time. Skinner finds himself being called in for a meeting with Kersh and the Toothpick Man and we see him for the last time as the door closes behind him. Gibson warns Doggett and Reyes that Mulder is in danger.

In New Mexico, Scully and Mulder arrive at a pueblo where a dying Cigarette Smoking Man is hiding out to survive the colonization - an event that will happen on December 22, 2012, this corresponds to a significant date in the Mayan Calendar perhaps the end of the world. Outside, Reyes and Doggett face off against Knowle Rohrer, who has been sent to kill Mulder and the Smoking Man. The pueblo is filled with magnetite, which kills Rohrer as he advances on Doggett and Reyes. Switching cars with Mulder and Scully, the agents drive off. The helicopters destroy the pueblo - and the Smoking Man - before giving chase to the wrong car and we last see Doggett and Reyes,holding hands, driving off with them in pursuit.

In a hotel room in New Mexico, Mulder and Scully prepare for bed and talk. Their final words:

SCULLY: You've always said that you want to believe. But believe in what Mulder? If this is the truth that you've been looking for then what is left to believe in?

MULDER: I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us. That they speak to us as part of something greater than us-- greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to what's speaking, it can give us the power to save ourselves.

SCULLY: Then we believe the same thing.

MULDER: Maybe there's hope.

It's better in text than it was on TV, from what I recall.

There used to be this awesome plot guide to the series, it covered everything--MotW, black oil, super soldiers, etc.--but I can't seem to locate it. Probably gone. But there's a lot more too the two final seasons than I've mentioned, and they definitely have their moments, so I think it's worth checking them out if you can get used to the new leads.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #50
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
No. Mulder appeared in plot heavy episodes and flashbacks. And Scully was in a good few of the episodes, occasionally showing up even once Reyes and Doggett took over. I haven't seen the final episode since it originally aired, so here's a synopis of it from the X-Files wikia. Credit goes to whomever.

When Fox Mulder is placed under military arrest, Scully and Skinner immediately travel to Virginia to see him. Mulder has been placed under arrest for breaking into Mount Weather - where he accessed information on alien technology - and allegedly killing Knowle Rohrer, Doggett's former army friend-turned-supersoldier.

While Mulder receives mysterious visits from phantoms of his past, Scully and Skinner go to great lengths to get him released, but he is ultimately put on trial - a trial with an outcome seemingly set from the start.

Skinner takes Mulder's defense, while Scully, Monica Reyes, Doggett, Marita Covarrubias, Gibson Praise and Jeffrey Spender take the stand. Although they ultimately prove his case - when Scully discovers that the body is not that of Knowle Rohrer - their testimony is overruled and Mulder is sentenced to death.

With the surprising help of Deputy Director Alvin Kersh, the group break him free and Mulder and Scully drive off. Despite being told to get out of the country, Mulder drives instead south to New Mexico. Doggett and Reyes return to find their office emptied, suggesting that the X-Files have been closed down for a third time. Skinner finds himself being called in for a meeting with Kersh and the Toothpick Man and we see him for the last time as the door closes behind him. Gibson warns Doggett and Reyes that Mulder is in danger.

In New Mexico, Scully and Mulder arrive at a pueblo where a dying Cigarette Smoking Man is hiding out to survive the colonization - an event that will happen on December 22, 2012, this corresponds to a significant date in the Mayan Calendar perhaps the end of the world. Outside, Reyes and Doggett face off against Knowle Rohrer, who has been sent to kill Mulder and the Smoking Man. The pueblo is filled with magnetite, which kills Rohrer as he advances on Doggett and Reyes. Switching cars with Mulder and Scully, the agents drive off. The helicopters destroy the pueblo - and the Smoking Man - before giving chase to the wrong car and we last see Doggett and Reyes,holding hands, driving off with them in pursuit.

In a hotel room in New Mexico, Mulder and Scully prepare for bed and talk. Their final words:

SCULLY: You've always said that you want to believe. But believe in what Mulder? If this is the truth that you've been looking for then what is left to believe in?

MULDER: I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us. That they speak to us as part of something greater than us-- greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to what's speaking, it can give us the power to save ourselves.

SCULLY: Then we believe the same thing.

MULDER: Maybe there's hope.

It's better in text than it was on TV, from what I recall.

There used to be this awesome plot guide to the series, it covered everything--MotW, black oil, super soldiers, etc.--but I can't seem to locate it. Probably gone. But there's a lot more too the two final seasons than I've mentioned, and they definitely have their moments, so I think it's worth checking them out if you can get used to the new leads.

The black oil - that's the last plotline I fully remember. After Smoking Man shot his son, the whole thing's rather blurry to me.