Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #51
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
I did enjoy Sky Captain...but I'm of the mind that maybe they should of used real sets along with the CGI.

I agree with that. Watching the behind the scenes documentaries shows that there were only a few props used through the film. The soft focus CGI gave it an ethereal quality as opposed to the hands-on practical effects of the style they were mimicking.

At one stage they were going to break up the film into cliffhanging chapters, which I think would have been a good idea.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #52
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
I watched this again on Netflix yesterday, and I gotta say it still works for me, just like it did on the big screen back in 04.

I love the chemistry between Law and Paltrow, the story is solid enough and I dig the visual world Conran created, as well as the references to classics like Superman, King Kong, Godzilla, Titanic and of course Indy.

Long live Sky Captain!
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #53
Salzmank
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
I watched this again on Netflix yesterday, and I gotta say it still works for me, just like it did on the big screen back in 04.

I love the chemistry between Law and Paltrow, the story is solid enough and I dig the visual world Conran created, as well as the references to classics like Superman, King Kong, Godzilla, Titanic and of course Indy.

Long live Sky Captain!
Two years or so after you posted, but I love it as well. Reading all these comments makes it even sadder and more unfortunate what Hollywood did to Conran after the movie didn’t do well at the box office. The studios are truly more unforgiving than Toyland. (“Once your film doesn’t make money…you can never return again.”)

I think it’s a superb throwback, and it’s always tons of fun. Oh, well, that kind of storytelling just isn’t in vogue nowadays… Another sigh from this young fogey…
Salzmank is offline   Reply With Quote