Sideshow 1/6 KOTCS Indiana Jones

tnswman

Wow, sideshow dropped the ball again.

Next to the Hot toys version, this figure is simply the worst looking Indy Collectible to come out of the whole 2008 era.

The gear is typical and ok. However, the sculpt is RUINED by the good for nothing Sideshow paint apps.

thank GOD I have a few Hot toys KOTCS figures to surround myself with as I hide this sucker in the Indy room.

I do love the fridge and the KOTCS accessories though. These KOTCS accessories mixed with the Gentle Giant SDCC Crystal Skull make the Hot toys Indy look even more AMAZING

Montana Smith

tnswman said:
Wow, sideshow dropped the ball again.

Next to the Hot toys version, this figure is simply the worst looking Indy Collectible to come out of the whole 2008 era.

The gear is typical and ok. However, the sculpt is RUINED by the good for nothing Sideshow paint apps.

thank GOD I have a few Hot toys KOTCS figures to surround myself with as I hide this sucker in the Indy room.

I do love the fridge and the KOTCS accessories though. These KOTCS accessories mixed with the Gentle Giant SDCC Crystal Skull make the Hot toys Indy look even more AMAZING

I didn't know there was a Hot Toys version - Hot Toys are to my mind the leading player in the 1/6 game, but they have a price tag to match - over here they're generally £140 for a single figure (no fridge included!)

Billy Ray

I think tsnwman might mean the Medicom versions, not Hot Toys. Hot Toys has not made any Indy figures...but man, if they did....(y)

I can't personally comment on SS's KOTCS Indy because I won't get my hands on him for another 163.35 days and my wife STILL hasn't sent me pics of him.

I do have both the Medicom and Sideshow ROTLA Indys too. They both have pros and cons, I can't really say I prefer one over the other. I didn't get the Medicom KOTCS Indy, but he looks pretty nice, though not without faults of his own.

Who would have thought, after so may years of NO Indy stuff, that we would be debating on which company's version of an Indy figure was better?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
I think tsnwman might mean the Medicom versions, not Hot Toys.

That's what I immediately thought, knowing his preference for Medicom, but I was prepared to be proved wrong...

Billy Ray said:
Hot Toys has not made any Indy figures...but man, if they did....(y)

It'd be a case of no contest!

Whilst Sideshow are good, and I'm happy with my Raiders Indy (and their Bayonets & Barbed Wire, and Star Wars figures), they cannot compete with Hot Toys (though they are, of course, priced very differently). My experience of Medicom is owning the River Phoenix Young Indy, and no way would I have paid the recommended price of £100 for him. He's very cheaply made with little intrinsic value - I swapped his silly plastic boots for lace-up Dragon in Dreams boots, and he's now a slightly improved figure. Based on that I would take a Sideshow Indy over a Medicom Indy any day.

...and given the choice I would go the extra mile and take Hot Toys over all other contenders, if only they were to make one!

Mr. Fusion

I've done some customizing to my Crystal Skull Indy, starting with switching the head and clothes over to a Soldier Story body. The hat has been painted. The top belt replaced. The boots in the picture are Newline Miniatures, but I've replaced them with Medicom boots. The whip has been replaced (but needs to be painted). I still need to replace the buckle on the gunbelt and paint the Webley. He also needs a custom holster for the Webley.

Without further ado...

CustomSideshowIndianaJones29.jpg

CustomSideshowIndianaJones23.jpg

CustomSideshowIndianaJones25.jpg

CustomSideshowIndianaJones24.jpg

DocWhiskey

^ He looks very nice there! The body suits him well. That was my main problem with the figure. If they all looked like yours, I'd get it for sure. But, knowing me, I'll get it anyway haha.

Montana Smith

Mr. Fusion said:
I've done some customizing to my Crystal Skull Indy...

CustomSideshowIndianaJones23.jpg

He's looking good, Mr. Fusion. This picture in particular really shows off the great sculpt.

Billy Ray, thanks for linking to the Captain Toy review, I'm an avid reader of Michael's reviews, and normally consult his pages before opting to buy a figure. He didn't give this one a really glowing review, too many things seemed to fall short of the mark. One of those things is that whilst it's a great sculpt of an older Harrison, it isn't old enough. In KOTCS Harrison looked quite haggard, and there aren't enough lines and wrinkles in the Sideshow sculpt to show the mileage and the years.

Mr. Fusion

DocWhiskey said:
^ He looks very nice there! The body suits him well. That was my main problem with the figure. If they all looked like yours, I'd get it for sure. But, knowing me, I'll get it anyway haha.

Thanks, Doc. The Soldier Story body works extremely well for him. A Hot Toys True Type body is preferred by most customizers though.

Just to let you know, I would totally buy this figure again!

Montana Smith said:
He's looking good, Mr. Fusion. This picture in particular really shows off the great sculpt.

Yeah, I love this sculpt. I think the paint apps are very nice as well. The only part that really needed a repaint is the hat.