Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Lance Quazar

Tash, not only have I been dazzled and delighted by your fantastic images, but I am very much in your debt for your travel advice!

I have been following in the footsteps of Indy these past couple days, with stops at Chinatown, the submarine (but I actually went inside!) and Alcatraz (again, going all the way to the island!)

Hope tomorrow to get to Fort Mason before leaving in the late afternoon.

Your have been gorgeous, amusing and highly entertaining!

Though, I can't help but think Indy should swing by Bourbon and Branch to re-live the swinging Prohibition days of his youth.

InexorableTash

Lance Quazar said:
Tash, not only have I been dazzled and delighted by your fantastic images, but I am very much in your debt for your travel advice!

Happy to help! Glad you're having a good time.

And now, the penultimate chapter in this adventure...

InexorableTash

Part 8: The Secret Valley

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_083.jpg

Da-da-dum-da... dum-da-dum...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_084.jpg

The repairs on that truck didn't last long. I'd better walk. Chaac-Mool's temple is supposed to be near here.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_085.jpg

Once upon a time the whole area was just sand dunes. The map I translated says that up ahead...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_086.jpg

Is a secret tunnel through the rocks! Better head inside.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_087.jpg

It opens out onto the beach. I see a trail down there.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_088.jpg

The trail leads along the coast to... whoah!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_089.jpg

A whole valley full of ruins!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_090.jpg

It looks like some ancient civilization built a complex of some sort here.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_091.jpg

Tumbled columns... this must have been magnificent.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_092.jpg

What master builders. The aqueduct is still carrying water, after all these years.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_093.jpg

Those look like Mayan temple ruins. That explains the name! I wonder if I can get up there.

Will Indy find a way into the temple? What secrets will he discover within? Tune in tomorrow for the final exciting chapter in - Traveling Indiana Jones in San Francisco and the Legend of Chaac-Mool!

InexorableTash

Part 9: The Legend Unearthed

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_094.jpg

This entrance is sealed shut. If I can just get to the other side...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_095.jpg

Hey, down on the beach. Some Bullwhip kelp. That gives me an idea.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_096.jpg

If I can just snag that rock...

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_097.jpg

:whip:

Let the record show that I actually made that wrap. Not gonna put any weight on it, though!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_098.jpg

Ancient tribal carvings on the wall. I'll have to decipher those later.

For a couple of years there's been a carving of a skull in that mud wall, but it's finally eroded away.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_099.jpg

It's overgrown with vines. But there's an entrance to the temple!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_100.jpg

Here we go, Chaac-Mool. Your secret must lie at the end of this tunnel.

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_101.jpg

Will it be an artifact from beyond the Earth?

... quadruple-distilled, triple Herkimer filtered, pure spirit vodka... c/o the fine folks at Coit Liquor

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_102.jpg

Or perhaps some ancient idol?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_103.jpg

I see light from up ahead!

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_104.jpg

Through that opening... can it be?

TravellingIndyinSanFrancisco_105.jpg

Ah, old friend. Good to see you again - it's been a long time.

The egg is in a display case at the Aquarium of the Bay. Photos c/o the spousal unit.

THE END

Both this and the previous chapter were primarily shot at the Sutro Baths - ruins from a Victorian-era bathing house that burned to the ground in the 1960s and are now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. An ancient civilization... from a certain point of view.

Sorry if that ending was a bit abrupt, but Indy needed to hit the road. After a first-class flight he's back in the UK with Inky already, ready for his next adventure. Hopefully he'll return to SF soon! I'll share some photos that didn't make the cut for the narrative over the next day or two.

Last edited:

NickTurner

Outstanding adventure trip. I would never have guessed in a million years that traveling Indy's trip to San Francisco would turn out like this! Kudos for the delightfully fresh approach and all the more so for achieving this in such a short time - and for using the whip!

:hat:

All in all it looks like you had a great time with our little friend.

inky_skin

Tash - thank you for adding another stunning chapter to Indy's adventure. Couple of stand-out points I'd like to draw particular attention to...firstly your pin-sharp visuals which really capture the beauty of your local area. Secondly your post-production skills - I'm particularly enamoured with the way in which you edited your shots to make them appear in the appropriate widescreen ratio - effectively capturing that authentic movie feel. Finally, the great little narrative you put together (especially the tip of the fedora to Stoo in the last couple of frames). Did I miss the significance of "Chac-Mool" ? If it's a clever anagram or reference then the meaning has totally evaded me...

So, given your preference for Google tools to create your storyboard and Indy's visit to their HQ is there a professional connection ?

I've got a little bit of time before my first outing with Travelling Indy so I was thinking of taking some pictures of the emphemera that accompanies him and allowing contributors to shed some light on its significance. Sound like something you'd all be interested in ?

However, to whet your appetites...Travelling Indy will return in "Indiana Jones and the Fourth Wall"...

indy_preview-1.jpg

InexorableTash

inky_skin said:
you edited your shots to make them appear in the appropriate widescreen ratio - effectively capturing that authentic movie feel.
Thanks for noticing! Definitely intentional. Also handy in editing out the fingers holding Indy up.

Did I miss the significance of "Chac-Mool" ? If it's a clever anagram or reference then the meaning has totally evaded me...
It's the name of the food truck in the first Fort Mason picture (and associated SF restaurant), which serves Yucutan cuisine. I have an alternate shot with it in focus and Indy blurry. Their logo is a Mayan idol (same as the one towards the end, although that's a different restaurant in the background. The name has no other meaning, it just sounded cool.

So, given your preference for Google tools to create your storyboard and Indy's visit to their HQ is there a professional connection ?
Maybe. :) You may find clues in the materials Indy picked up with him. And yes, I think you should share photos of his treasures!

InexorableTash

In case you thought it was all easy...

Sometimes the photography is more than a one-person job. NickTurner and MDP78 setting up a shot. I love the reverent way that MDP78 is holding the stick. Makes me think of the map room scene in Raiders. Also note the magnifying glass in Nick's hand to inspect the shot in detail:

bonus18.jpg

Another behind-the-scenes shot, on Treasure Island:

bonus19.jpg

Another shot of the pinball playfield:

bonus2.jpg

There's actually another one of these tables in the building where I work, visible from the courtyard, but it's in a private office area.

First attempt at the "Indy and GGB" shot. This was from the beach near Crissy Field:

bonus10.jpg

Second attempt, by the Warming Hut:

bonus13.jpg

Posing with my son (who's sporting his U.S. Wings jacket):

bonus14.jpg

My son wanted to take a photo:

bonus8.jpg

Another calculating machine at the Long Now Foundation:

bonus9.jpg

Indy and the Pampanito:

bonus3.jpg

Another boat at the Pier. You can see Ghirardelli Square in the background. (For the record, it's pronounced "JEER-ah-DEL-ee". A relative visiting for a wedding was saying it "ger-IT-ah-lee" and it took a while to figure out what she was talking about.)

bonus4.jpg

Looking back along the Aquatic Park. The Streamline Moderne building on the right is a musem that's been under repair since we moved to SF in 2006. It's partially open now and had a great map exhibit showing early maps of California (e.g. when it was thought to be an island). Unfortunately it was closed the day I stopped by with Indy!

bonus5.jpg

Indy and the dinosaur (and flamingos):

bonus6.jpg

Oh no! Indy's trapped in an Ed Wood movie!

bonus7.jpg

Another view of the Yoda fountain in the Presidio, at the Lucasfilm HQ. I went on a Sunday and there was a bit of a line to take photos. No-one batted an eye at Indy, of course. In person, you can see intriguing silhouettes of maquettes through the windows of the buildings; nothing worth photographing, alas.

bonus12.jpg

In a scene that was cut, Indy considered using an aqueduct to explore the "temple" ruins:

bonus17.jpg

That's it from me, folks! I'll be happy to show Indy - or any of his friends here on the board - around SF if they come to visit again.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
I intensely dislike the idea of being forced into somebody else's timetable despite the wonderful reasoning, so please send Indy back to inky for his tour. He can send him back this way at his leisure.
Sab, when you get him, is there any chance of taking a photo with Lombard Street in the background? Plus, how about Indy with some Rice-a-Roni? After all, it IS "the San Francisco Treat"! Indy's sojourn in the Bay Area wouldn't be complete, otherwise.:D
InexorableTash said:
The egg is in a display case at the Aquarium of the Bay. Photos c/o the spousal unit.
inky_skin said:
Finally, the great little narrative you put together (especially the tip of the fedora to Stoo in the last couple of frames).
Ha! I HOWLED upon seeing the egg photos. They really *cracked* me up, Tash! So your wife took those pix? Kudos to her. Wonderful finale to a highly enjoyable narrative. A+:hat:
inky_skin said:
I've got a little bit of time before my first outing with Travelling Indy so I was thinking of taking some pictures of the emphemera that accompanies him and allowing contributors to shed some light on its significance. Sound like something you'd all be interested in ?
I would be interested, as well as seeing everyone's diary entries thus far. Bring 'em on, Ink!:whip:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Sab, when you get him, is there any chance of taking a photo with Lombard Street in the background? Plus, how about Indy with some Rice-a-Roni? After all, it IS "the San Francisco Treat"! Indy's sojourn in the Bay Area wouldn't be complete, otherwise.:D

Heh, if only I'd known you wanted those shots. I live at the bottom of Lombard ("Tourists! Why did it have to be tourists!"). And we have a box of Rice-a-Roni that's been in our pantry since the 90's - can't get rid of it now!

The iconic Rice-a-Roni cable car advertisement is hanging on the wall in the cable car barn. Showing the mysterious inner workings of the system was one stop I'd intended to make but didn't have time. :(

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Sab, when you get him, is there any chance of taking a photo with Lombard Street in the background?

Vermont St. between 20th & 22nd is crookeder, but I would be happy to oblige. The list of things that still need to be completed is vast, and there's a lot of intrastate travel to complete as well!

InexorableTash said:
I kid you not. Just a few blocks from my house.

No Aladdin Terrace?

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
Heh, if only I'd known you wanted those shots. I live at the bottom of Lombard ("Tourists! Why did it have to be tourists!"). And we have a box of Rice-a-Roni that's been in our pantry since the 90's - can't get rid of it now!
I guess you were too busy featuring other parts of your area and the obvious sites didn't immediately come to mind. Lombard Street is a well-known, San Fran landmark! (Keep that Rice-a-Roni box, Tash!)(y)
InexorableTash said:
The iconic Rice-a-Roni cable car advertisement is hanging on the wall in the cable car barn. Showing the mysterious inner workings of the system was one stop I'd intended to make but didn't have time. :(
The "mysterious inner workings" is something I want to investigate.

Regarding Rice-A-Roni advertisements, do you mean this one?

rice_a_roni.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
Vermont St. between 20th & 22nd is crookeder, but I would be happy to oblige. The list of things that still need to be completed is vast, and there's a lot of intrastate travel to complete as well!
Sab, take a shot of both of them if you get the chance. The only reason I suggested Lombard Street is because it's the most famous San Fran street! (Movies & whatnot).

Please note that you have a HARD ACT to follow, Sab! Make it a good one!:whip:

Last edited:

InexorableTash

Le Saboteur said:
No Aladdin Terrace?

Also just a couple blocks away. :)

Stoo said:
Regarding Rice-A-Roni advertisements, do you mean this one?

The front panel of that cable car (or one decked out extremely similarly) is hanging up in the barn.

Interesting note about that picture - that car is clearly marked as a Powell-Hyde (the brown "Powell & Market / Hyde & Beach" sign) and is a single-ended Powell-line car, but it's on the California tracks, just up the hill from Powell and California - you can see another Powell line car behind it crossing the intersection.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Please note that you have a HARD ACT to follow, Sab! Make it a good one!:whip:

Well, I thought about re-creating the chase scene from Bullitt. Though, the season finale of Alcatraz beat me to it. Plus, it would look a little silly standing the middle of the street at the corner of Francisco & Larkin fiddling about with action figures.

inky_skin

Ok everyone - Indy and I are currently on Stage 7 at Elstree. Security is incredibly tight as this is a working studio. As such, photos may be limited and guerilla-style (don't want to get thrown out). For those of you that don't know, Stage 7 was used for the camp fire scene in ToD....

Stoo

inky_skin said:
Ok everyone - Indy and I are currently on Stage 7 at Elstree. Security is incredibly tight as this is a working studio. As such, photos may be limited and guerilla-style (don't want to get thrown out). For those of you that don't know, Stage 7 was used for the camp fire scene in ToD....
Looking forward to your photos, Ink. Even if they were taken 'guerilla-style', a trip to Elstree is a priceless addition to Mini-Indy's travels.:) Hope you enjoyed your visit!
Le Saboteur said:
Well, I thought about re-creating the chase scene from Bullitt. Though, the season finale of Alcatraz beat me to it. Plus, it would look a little silly standing the middle of the street at the corner of Francisco & Larkin fiddling about with action figures.
That would be great, Sab, but do you have a '68 Mustang to do it? What is cool about that clip you linked to is that, not only does it use some music from "Bullitt" but it also shows a green Volkswagen Beetle that reappears later during the chase...just like in the original!(y)

Speaking of Volkswagens, if you have a cream-coloured '63 Beetle, you can recreate some scenes from, "The Love Bug" and "Herbie Rides Again". Both films take place in San Francisco.:D

For fun, here's a mash-up I put together for the "Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection" thread:
Stoo said:

inky_skin

Le Saboteur said:
Why I dare say at the Baker Street Tube Station, my good sir.

Correctly deduced Le Sab...

IMAG0322.jpg

Perhaps a little too elementary ? I hadn't planned to deliberately stop here, but its some of the more unique tube station decor so I hopped off and snapped away. However, this was one of the first instances of authority stepping in to prevent photo taking. Apparently they get a bit twitchy when you produce a camera on the underground - I was told in no uncertain terms to stop what I was doing...