IF YOU LIVE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE U.S.A

Webley

According to legend, somewhere along the shore of Pennichuck Pond {a small glacial lake located about two and a half miles from downtown Nashua NH} lies buried a fabulous diamond necklace believed to have been commissioned by Marie Antoinett in France in 1788.
Now I dont know if this is a tall tale or not but if you live in the NH area why not go and take a look.

Webley

This is no joke. The necklace's recipient still is a mystery. Around 1790 2 men transported a wooden trunk from Canada to Nashua. In Nashua the 2 men set up camp. 2 years later 1 of the men retuned to Canada. The other guy got concerned about the security of the trunk so he buried it not far fromthe shoreline.

Webley

Ok I got some more info on this. In 1788 Marie Antoinette contrated with this guy who was a skilled jeweler in France to design and make the most exquisite DIAMOND necklace. Men were sent all over the UK to get the finest DIAMONDS available. The co$t to Marie was in excess of the French equivalent of $1 million. Now at this time the French Revolution 1789-1799 overthrew the monarchy of are good budy King Louis XVI. As popular discontent rose in the early part of 1789 Marie got concerned that the slimy peasants would take all her crap. As the pace of the Revolution picked up Marie packed up the DIAMOND necklace in a small metal box and than into a wooden trunk it was than shipped to Canada. At that time hundreds of Frenchmen were in eastern Canada and the political sympathies of many were still with the ruling government. The war got all bloody and Marie lost her head on Oct 16 1793.

Now to get back to what I was saying be for abot the 2 guys who got the trunk. When the one guy got back to NH from Canada his friend was dead he discovered his friends journal. He came across a reference to the buried trunk and a rock marker. Walking to the lake the guy found that dozens of big rocks scattered the shore and he naver found it.
Now I live in Vermont right next to New Hampshire and Im going to go see fore my self whot I can dig up out thar so if you see this guy in a Indiana Jones hat pokein a round Pennichuck Brook go say hi to me.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Renderking Fisk said:
Bunch of Jones fans going somewhere Jones related then go out together for dinner afterwards with our families.
That's cool, more fans should do that.

Webley

In 1983 a group of Boy Scouts camped along the shore of the pond for 2 days. 3 of the boys were throwing rocks at a target they made. When one of the leaders got the boys for dinner he noticed their target was made of old slats of wood. One of the slats had a metal fitting the kind often found attached to the corner of a woolden trunk. The Scoutmaster familiar with the tale of the necklace wondered if the slats of woold connected. The next day the boys could not ID the location where they found the woold
Today the DIAMOND necklace would likely be worth $everal million dollar$

Renderking Fisk said:
Bunch of Jones fans going somewhere Jones related then go out together for dinner afterwards with our families.
This would be fun I would like to go plese let us know when its going to happen and Im there.

Webley

Cain said:
Isn't the Silver Madonna located somewhere in NH?
Thats what thay say. 2 and a half foot tall and cast from pure $ilver. It is believed to be at the bottom of the Israel river in north NH.

merancapeman

I live in New Hampshire. Surry, to be exact. I haven't heard ANY story like that.

So THATS why a bunch of leather jacket freaks came by my house......

Webley

I live in Vermont but it mite as well be NH. We should go find that necklace.

[Edited by Webley on 11-13-2003 at 02:10 pm]

merancapeman

You live in KENTUCKY!! OMG! I've lived there until i was 10! Trust me buddy, you don't want to come up here, i know; I regret it. They are a little snobby where i live...

Rick5150

Moved
Yep Im from Vermont.
I have been to Nashua NH but not to the Pond/lake. How big is the lake? Do you find many treasure hunters at the site?

The lake is probably not even a mile long and less than half as wide. The northern side of the pond is all residential as is the south western side. The south/southeastern side has a few trails that lead to different areas. More like gravel roads. The eastern side of the pond is where Pennichuck Brook flows into the pond and is very marshy. I rarely see anyone there other than dirtbikes flying up an down the trails. I literally had to dive in the bushes to avoid getting hit.

Rick5150

Another issue that I have discovered in my research was that at the time the story (1790) Nashua didn't exist. That area was referred to as Dunstable, I believe and was later divided out into Merrimack, Nashua, Hollis, Amherst (NH) and Dunstable, MA kept the name. I am going by memory right now, so it may be a bit off.

The best hint is that the author mentioned that a crate was found and if it were in Nashua as referenced, I should be pretty close. The pond itself borders on Hollis, South Merrimack and Nashua. If the area of the map that shows Nashua contains the necklace, or the rock marker, I have been in the correct general area, because as luck would have it, it is the area of access.