Secret of the Incas (1954)

Stoo

James Byrne said:
Hi Stoo
I have an inkling who Curator Rick is, sent him an email once but got no reply. The costume in question is supposedly Heston's trousers from SECRET OF THE INCAS, but if its anything like the one being displayed on the Flickr site it might not be legitimate.
James, I saw the photo of the pants. (Yes, I know, in the U.K. 'pants' means 'underwear'.:p) They look brand new. Is that what makes you think they aren't legit or is it something else?

Dig Site 1138

Wait a minute! I saw these photos on that board:

jl6hrl.jpg

34xs7ic.jpg

and they totally took me by surprise...my copy of SOTI doesn't have this sequence at all!!! :mad:

Stoo

That's too bad, DigSite.:( Did you record your version from TV or did you buy it from ioffer.com? The raft part comes right after they land the plane.

Dig Site 1138

Stoo said:
That's too bad, DigSite.:( Did you record your version from TV or did you buy it from ioffer.com? The raft part comes right after they land the plane.

I got mine from Yammering Magpie Cinema a couple of years ago. They're now out of business. Yeah, I deduced from the context of the photos that the raft sequence must have come somewhere on their way to Machu Picchu. It seems like it would have added quite a bit to the journey part.

SPOILER ALERT!

Oh well, as far as I know, nothing else is missing. Unless of course Thomas Mitchell's death is more dramatic and interesting in everyone else's copy ;)

James Byrne

It's The Wrong Trousers Gromit!

Stoo said:
James, I saw the photo of the pants. (Yes, I know, in the U.K. 'pants' means 'underwear'.:p) They look brand new. Is that what makes you think they aren't legit or is it something else?

Stoo, I wrote a note on the flickr page saying that Heston's trousers don't have back pockets (only in the opening "Burro burro" sequence). I am now convinced that Chuck Heston never wore those trousers on display - wrong colour, too new looking, and they have back pockets.

Take another look Stoo, and compare the Flickr trousers to the ones Chuck is wearing in SECRET OF THE INCAS. Would you bet your house on them being the same?

I hate to have to beg another copy of VALLEY OF THE KINGS, but I'm desperate mate!
What did you think of Ronald Reagan as Indiana Jones in HONG KONG, Stoo?

James Byrne

Dig Site 1138 said:
Wait a minute! I saw these photos on that board:

jl6hrl.jpg

34xs7ic.jpg

and they totally took me by surprise...my copy of SOTI doesn't have this sequence at all!!! :mad:

I bought a copy from Yammering Magpie and these "Indy scenes" are in it!
Maybe you bought one of the early ones Dig Site ... YM later announced that they had a better quality version available free to the people who bought the original.

Stoo

James Byrne said:
Stoo, I wrote a note on the flickr page saying that Heston's trousers don't have back pockets (only in the opening "Burro burro" sequence). I am now convinced that Chuck Heston never wore those trousers on display - wrong colour, too new looking, and they have back pockets.

Take another look Stoo, and compare the Flickr trousers to the ones Chuck is wearing in SECRET OF THE INCAS. Would you bet your house on them being the same?
I'll have to take a look and see. Didn't see your comment before on the flickr page but now that I have, I noticed that the owner wrote they are the pants from "Treasure of the Incas". Treasure?:rolleyes: (Love the Wallace & Gromit reference in your previous post, by the way!)
James Byrne said:
I hate to have to beg another copy of VALLEY OF THE KINGS, but I'm desperate mate!
What did you think of Ronald Reagan as Indiana Jones in HONG KONG, Stoo?
Well, I finally watched "Hong Kong" last night and...WOW. It was better than expected and I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you ever so much, James!

Firstly, the picture quality wasn't as bad as you described. Secondly, I didn't know that the film was in colour so that was a pleasant surprise. Thirdly, I had no idea that the story dealt with a golden artifact (which was an additional bonus). Fourthly, Reagan looks more like Indy than Chuck does as Harry Steele! More later but wanted to give you my intial reaction...

Now this has me foaming at the mouth to get my paws on "China"!:D

Re: Valley of the Kings - You're not begging as I already offered to replace it.;)

James Byrne

Ronald Regan v Charlton Heston

Stoo, I'm so pleased that you enjoyed HONG KONG.
I'm baffled that it never gets its just due when people discuss movies that inspired Indiana Jones. You say that Ronald Reagan looks more like Indy than Charlton Heston. How about putting up some comparison screengrabs of Chuck and Ronnie in their Indy gear and we'll all have a vote on it.

ps- did you spot Lee Marvin anywhere, its supposed to be his first movie appearence?

Stoo

James Byrne said:
You say that Ronald Reagan looks more like Indy than Charlton Heston. How about putting up some comparison screengrabs of Chuck and Ronnie in their Indy gear and we'll all have a vote on it.
Good idea, James! Will do so but, with such a wealthy roster of other similar characters, a poll like that is worthy of its own thread. (Though I wouldn't want to create one until getting some good images of Alan Ladd in "China" since he's also a true contender!)

"Hong Kong" probably doesn't get it's just due as an Indy inspiration because it seems that not many Indy fans have ever seen it (let alone even heard of it). No, I haven't spotted Lee Marvin yet but will keep on looking...

Anyway, yes, I'm very pleased with having the opportunity to see this film. For me, it's in the same class as the other '50s films, "Secret of the Incas", "The Naked Jungle" and "Valley of the Kings". In a certain way, it's like watching a new Indy movie!:gun:

James Byrne

Is it Chuck, Bogey, Coop, the Gipper or Ladd?

Stoo,
I don't regard HONG KONG as good as SECRET OF THE INCAS, CHINA, VALLEY OF THE KINGS or THE NAKED JUNGLE. But having said that I really enjoyed it because of the novelty factor of seeing a future U.S. President geared up like Indiana Jones. I like the fact that Reagan was inaugurated as Prez the same year as RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK was released.

Heston, Alan Ladd and Reagan are the only actors who are the spit of Indy in his leather jacket, but if you do create this "Indy lookalike competition" you might have to add photos of Gary Cooper in FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS and Bogart in TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. They aren't wearing the leather jacket, but they have the fedora, shirt and shoulder bag in some scenes from those movies and put against Ford as Indy, the resemblance is astonishing.

Stoo

James, by writing "class", I didn't mean 'as good' but rather 'another Indy-esque '50s film in colour'. ("King Solomon's Mines" & "Watusi" are also ones I should have mentioned in that list.)

Bogie's portrayal of Fred C. Dobbs in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" was quoted by Spielberg as being one of the direct influences for Indy.

Ah...Gary Cooper, one of my fave actors. It's been almost 20 years since I've seen "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and am kicking myself for not transferring my VHS copy to DVD because now the tape is far away in storage. Anyway, his character does have a leather jacket and he will definitely be part of the Indy Look-Alike Competition. (Speaking of Cooper, have you ever seen "The Real Glory"? Some exciting Indy-ish moments during the climax.) Gotta love THE COOP!(y)

From "For Whom the Bell Tolls":
ForWhomTheBellTolls_A.jpg

Dig Site 1138 said:
Yeah, I deduced from the context of the photos that the raft sequence must have come somewhere on their way to Machu Picchu. It seems like it would have added quite a bit to the journey part.
Don't worry, Diggy, while it is a bit of a pre-cursor to "Doom", it only lasts 39 secs. (You can see it on YouTube or at Mr. James Byrne's website.)

Stephen Jared

I'm going to have to see Hong Kong. Also, Stoo, Watusi? What is that? Is it good? Either of you guys see The Golden Salamander with Trevor Howard? He looks nothing like Indy, but the film has some Indy-esque moments. It's a fine movie, entertaining, not a must-see, but fun. Speaking of Alan Ladd, China is great fun, and yes, he looks like Indy. But if you like old Ladd films, and haven't seen Calcutta, you should check it out. I think it's great. Great to see you guys chatting about these things. I'm going to look for a copy of Hong Kong. I'll let you know what I think.

Stoo

Stephen Jared said:
Great to see you guys chatting about these things.
Yes, it's a treat to be able to talk to like-minded fans about this stuff but since this thread is supposed to be about "Secret of the Incas", I sometimes hesitate in getting too carried away!:p

"Watusi" is a fabricated sequel to the 1950 version of "King Solomon's Mines". Is it good? It's inferior to the Stewart Granger film but worth watching for fans of the genre. (Being in the mood to resurrect some Allan Quatermain conversation, I'll elaborate further here: King Solomon's Mines)

Speaking of Quatermain & H.Rider Haggard, I was pleasantly surprised to see Nigel Bruce in "Hong Kong". Known for his Dr. Watson role from Sherlock Holmes films, he also played Holly in the '30s version of Haggard's other classic story, "She".

Trevor Howard is another one of my fave actors. No, I've never seen "Golden Salamander" but have read about it before. Sounds good! (Alan Ladd in "Calcutta" piques my interest as well.) Judging from your tastes, you may want to check out "The Long Duel" where T.Howard plays a brown-fedora-wearing, anthropological, police captain in 1920 India. No treasure involved but it's a decent adventure flick based on true events.

Stephen, I'd love to write an article or two for the 'Influences' section of TheRaider.net. Almost exactly 6 years ago (I joined The Raven on Feb. 10th, 2005), my very 1st post was about Michael French's reviews. It was his & your articles that prompted me to sign up here in the 1st place!(y)

Stephen Jared

Hey, Stoo, thanks for letting me know you appreciated those articles! Makes me feel it was a worthwhile effort. I enjoyed writing them.

As to your contributing something, I don't know who to direct you to. Back when I was fairly regularly adding articles/interviews to this site, the person running it was Gilles. He left last year. That's why there haven't been new articles in a long time. The piece on Jack and the Jungle Lion was the final contribution by Gilles. If I wrote an article for TheRaider, I wouldn't know who to send it to. That said, let me contact Gilles and see if he can point us in the right direction.

Meantime, I bought a copy of Hong Kong and hope it arrives in the mail within a week or so. I'll let you and James know my thoughts once I've seen it. I'll have to look for Watusi -- much of the footage in the Granger Solomon's Mines was amazing. Would love to see more.

James Byrne

Rambo Ladd in CHINA

Stephen
Since we both share an avid enthusiasm for vintage movie posters I would like to draw your attention to the fabulous creation that is CHINA. The artist has painted the slightly built Alan Ladd with such huge biceps that he makes Stallone look like Woody Allen! Its totally hilarious and even the absurd proganda slogan "Alan Ladd and twenty girls ... trapped by the rapacious Japs!" made me howl laughing. They sure don't paint them like that anymore!

I own the vhs video of CHINA and the cover is very Indy-like, with Ladd in a brown leather jacket and planes flying in a red-yellow tinted sky. Beautiful artwork.

Last edited:

James Byrne

Now Richard Widmark is Indiana Jones!

Stoo,
Richard Widmark is following Chuck, Alan Ladd, Reagan, etc. in the new thread "Who looks like Indy the most?"
Widmark has the full gear, but minus the fedora, in RUN FOR THE SUN, which is a wonderful action packed adventure thriller. Really loved it! Any movie that features Jane Greer in glorious Technicolor is okay by me!

Btw- we should include Cary Grant in ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS as well.
The Indy lookalike list grows bigger by the day!

Stoo

Stephen Jared said:
Hey, Stoo, thanks for letting me know you appreciated those articles! Makes me feel it was a worthwhile effort. I enjoyed writing them.
You're very welcome. The one that intrigued me the most was your review of "The Black Watch" based on the Talbot Mundy story. I have the '50s version, "King of the Khyber Rifles", but didn't know there was an earlier film (with Victor McLaglen!) By hook or by crook, I gotta get it...:D

If you can find out who to submit articles to, that would be great - if not, don't worry about it, Stephen.:cool:
Stephen Jared said:
Meantime, I bought a copy of Hong Kong and hope it arrives in the mail within a week or so. I'll let you and James know my thoughts once I've seen it. I'll have to look for Watusi -- much of the footage in the Granger Solomon's Mines was amazing. Would love to see more.
While I'm sure you'll appreciate it, don't expect "Hong Kong" to be a classic. If I remember correctly, "Watusi" is available from ioffer.com as a '2-fer' coupled with "Secret of the Incas" but I can't vouch for its print quality. The original was widescreen and I'd love to see it that way! (Some shots from "Watusi" were used in my Raiders of the Lost Archives comparison video.)

Re: Gilles leaving last year - you mean, "No one is flying the plane!":eek:

@James: I watched "Watusi" again last night and David Farrar says, "Dr. Quatermain, I presume." (Thought you'd like to know.;))
James Byrne said:
Widmark has the full gear, but minus the fedora, in RUN FOR THE SUN,...
---
Btw- we should include Cary Grant in ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS as well...
Thanks for the tip, James. I'll scout out "Run For the Sun" but if there is no hat, he's not a look-alike contender for the list (in my book). Same goes for C.Grant in "Only Angels Have Wings" which I personally don't consider very Indy-ish. The Raven has a maximum of 12 poll options so we'll have to 'choose wisely' (as the Grail Knight said in Indy 3.;))
Hanselation said:
Even the trailer to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" has real Indyesque moments. Great!
The last 1/2 hour of the film is awesome. Glad to see other people joining this conversation, Hanselation!:)

Stephen Jared

Hi James. I've seen a couple posters for CHINA and they are great. I hate to keep mentioning this movie cause I'm going to build it up too much, but the poster for CALCUTTA is even better IMO.

Hi Stoo. Yes, I'll keep expectations in check on HONG KONG. There was a film with John Wayne and Lauren Bacall called BLOOD ALLEY, set in China obviously. HONG KONG, from the little I know, recalls B.A. a little and I really didn't care for B.A. So, I'm intrigued but leery. I find that if the movie is in color it really needs the location shooting. You can shoot a great movie set in Morocco or Shanghai and shoot it on a backlot, but you better use black and white. Color films shot in a studio but made up to look like India or Egypt hardly ever seem to work. That's a generalization of course, and I'm referring to old Hollywood. Imagine SECRET OF THE INCAS shot on a backlot -- would have been no where near as good. But they might have gotten away with it if it was a black and white film.

BTW - How do you feel about that Khyber Rifles film? I saw it years ago, thought it awkward and unexciting, but I saw that it's playing soon on some channel so I set it to record. Sometimes, we're much more forgiving and open-minded the 2nd time around. I have The Black Watch but no way to copy DVD. I only have it cause I was able to rent a VHS copy years ago, transferred it to DVD, then returned the video. That place no longer has VHS tapes. I like The Black Watch a lot. If I can get someone to copy my DVD, I'll gladly make one for you.