Atlantis?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Here is an interesting link, for all to discuss at length, hopefully.

By Paul Rincon
BBC News Online science staff

The imagery may show the former locations of major buildings and rings

A scientist says he may have found remains of the lost city of Atlantis.
Satellite photos of southern Spain reveal features on the ground appearing to match descriptions made by Greek scholar Plato of the fabled utopia.

Dr Rainer Kuehne thinks the "island" of Atlantis simply referred to a region of the southern Spanish coast destroyed by a flood between 800 BC and 500 BC.

The research has been reported as an ongoing project in the online edition of the journal Antiquity...MORE

intergamer

<a href="http://science.slashdot.org/science/04/06/07/1013229.shtml?tid=134&tid=99">Slashdot</a> says: <i>
The BBC is reporting that recent satellite pictures may show the location of the fabled city of Atlantis, as described by Plato. It is in Southern Spain, though, and not on an island as is commonly believed. Here's an image of the concentric rings over the alleged area. This story has gotten a lot of submissions; it's worth noting that it's also shown up off Cyprus, or near Cuba, or is Crete, or... It is worth noting that that Ubar was found this way.</i>

LASTCRUSADER

While I don't know a whole lot about Atlantis I find it extremely interesting when I read these types of articles. I have started to read more on this subject and have found that there is quite a bit of material out there. I think its going to be pretty hard for anyone to prove without a doubt that they have found Atlantis.

I

Indy_Jones88

hi

i also dont know very much about the lost city of Atlantis. But i find it fascinating. i dont know years and stuff but here is a theory. like i said i dont know any years but maybe this is something nobody ever thought about.

What if the city of atlantis was flooded by the great flood. The Genesis Deluge. I have no idea but if someone could post why or why not this theory is good that would help me a lot.

Gregoire Defence

I totally knew it dude! ya mon
Atlanitis is totally true. Like this gnarly psychic lady dude, totally told me man. Like I was like this super scribe man. I mean like in a past life, but totaly freaking awesome man. Like I lived in Atlantis, and like knew the king man. I was like this scribe dude, and I totaly seen it in my dreams man. Totally freaking awesome dude

Party on man
I bet Altlantians totally knew how to party man

Finn

Staff member
<i>"...This, my friends... is Atlantis. Glorius, prosperous, civilized and technologically advanced... as it may have appeared on its heyday."</i>

This is so common legend that actually nearly 60% of people on this Earth believe its true. (For tabs, only 15% believe that the Holy Bible is all based on fact.) So at least it exists in people's minds, if not everywhere else... though every <i>true</i> Indyfan knows that this place does exist. <small>FoA! FoA! FoA!</small>

And Greg... what have you been inhaling lately? :p

Gregoire Defence

Dude, I think I inhaled the spirit of some Atlantian dude man. I totaly felt the energy. Like when the moon and the sun combine and like love pours out. Totally man, and then you like feel the conection with the Earth and the earth energies. You know what I mean man? You totally feel it man, like in your throat and like your heart or something dude. That's what Atlantis is all about.

I totally felt it man
totally

Junior Jones

For what its worth, Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire came out three years ago today.

That was a movie with a lot of potential. Too bad they couldn't bring it all together. (I've read that studio execs got in the way of the creative people and really watered down the story.)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Ok, here is something for you all. Was Atlantis destroyed in the flood?

Plato lived in about 400 bc.
Noah lived in about 1050 b.c.

Are the two connected or not?

Discuss as follows:------------------------->

Papa Indy

I´m living 20 miles from this aite!!!

Amazed to discover that i´m living just 20 miles from Hinojos in the South of my beloved Spain!!! Next weekend i was thinking of celebrate my 39 years old (next June 12, yes, I know, the same day Raiders was first released...) with my beautiful wife Isabel and my four kids... But now i´ll make a complete exploration of the site as reported in the BBC news...
Only to add that I´m History professor near to Seville and Cadiz, with some archaeology experience but have to admit that news about Lost Atlantis here... Sounds very odd -so to say!
Anyway, as my four children -John (11), Martha (10) Alex (6) and Dawn (2 and a half)- are devoted Indy fans, I hope to discover ANYTHING about Atlantis this weekend!
I promise to inform about my findings!!!
Stay tuned!
Papa Indy

I

Indy_Jones88

pale horse, like i said i dont know years or anything. i was just throwing an idea out for conversation. I didnt mean to make any1 mad if i did, im srry.

Urmel

This Topic is quite interesting for me. A few month ago i saw a documentation about atlantis on bbc. In my opinion there will never be a proof for the existence of atlantis that can be scientifically corroborated. It is a mythos like the holy grail, but even when i do not believe in this legend i am totally fascinated to hear about it.

bob

*Sigh*, it is a shame that the search for Atlantis consumes so much interpretation of archaeology....

Remember the ONLY evidence of Atlantis is from Platos story which he used as a moral lesson of a people who abandoned the Gods - it was probably mostly ficticious with memories of cities that fell into the sea or were destroyed (such as that one in Italy or Thera)

I think that Atlantis is just a giant red herring really which detracts from real archaeology.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Indy_Jones88 said:
pale horse, like i said i dont know years or anything. i was just throwing an idea out for conversation. I didnt mean to make any1 mad if i did, im srry.

:D it's: "If I have offended you, then I am sorry."

and you haven't Jr., so worry less, "you listen to me, you live longer."
:)

Last edited:
I

Indy_Jones88

Pale Horse said:
:D it's: "If I have offended you, then I am sorry."

and you haven't Jr., so worry less, "you listen to me, you live longer."
:)

"Okie Dokie Dr. Jones"

Pale Horse

Staff member
bob said:
*Sigh*, it is a shame that the search for Atlantis consumes so much interpretation of archaeology....

Remember the ONLY evidence of Atlantis is from Platos story which he used as a moral lesson of a people who abandoned the Gods - it was probably mostly ficticious with memories of cities that fell into the sea or were destroyed (such as that one in Italy or Thera)

I think that Atlantis is just a giant red herring really which detracts from real archaeology.

I give no credit to the Atlantis story, other than the points you so eloquently point out. But it makes a good McGuffin, in almost any case.

Tennessee R

I know Plato talks about Atlantis.
What does Plato say about Atlantis?
Does he say he saw it?
Also, Indy Jones 88, that was a good question about the flood.

Junior Jones

Plato never claimed to have seen Atlantis. It sank many years before he lived. His source was someone else who had seen it and described it.

Tennessee R

So, that could mean that the flood of Noah's time (Say in 1050) caused the disaster of Atlantis, then a bit later, (In say 400), Plato talks about it.
Right?

By the way, I don't know if you have Private Messages active, Indy Jones 88, but I sent you one earlier.

Tennessee