Favorite archaeologist/site?

Finn

Staff member
My favorite archaeologist? Mika Lavento, PhD, the University of Helsinki. A hilarious man.

"Okay, the ones who came to this lesson after watching an Indiana Jones movie, please leave now. This science has nothing to do with a man who uses heavy pickaxes and shovels plus his brawn to bust into an ancient tomb... heck, the man would probably use trotyle if the occupational health and safety legistlation hadn't disagreed..."

Finn

Staff member
Guess not. Hell, the man rambled us nearly an hour about every thing Heinrich Schliemann scuppered up with when digging up the remains of Troy.

M

Metis

Finn said:
Guess not. Hell, the man rambled us nearly an hour about every thing Heinrich Schliemann scuppered up with when digging up the remains of Troy.

I think you mean "Troy." Cuz it's not sure if it is "the" Troy, but something simular or whatever....A hell, he's a great guy, impressive enough to dig up a city with the help of the Iliad.

My fav:
Thor Heyerdahl

Although he aint a "real" archaeologist, close enough though.

Peace

maquino

John Romer

John Romer is both an accomplished Egyptologist/archæologist and a skilled educator through his documentary films (occasionally on public television) and books:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7171/romer.html

He is a bit controversial for being a little too objective in his work, which means not conforming his findings or conclusions to the Judæo-Christian Bible. He is not scornful of J-C - just treats it as one of a number of composite Middle Eastern religions that was cobbled together by enthusiasts over several centuries. His television series and book Testament, for example, is a fascinating history of how the J-C Bible came to be assembled from various pre-Hebrew sources, then modified to suit changing European political tastes in the following centuries. This is quite fascinating to a historian, but occasionally ruffles the feathers of Jews and Christians, who can't handle the idea of the book being a cut-and-paste job.

Michael Aquino