Be Nice To Tech Support People...

I can't say it often enough... and here's the latest example...

For no apparent reason, my printer (Epson CX4600 All-In-One) just upped and stopped printing... Not an uncommon occurrence here (But that gremlin is the subject of a different post) so I did what I knew to do to try to restore functionality, to no avail...

So, hit the phone to talk to someone... Was pleasant with her... joked with her... had her giggling all through the half hour or so call... She had me try two or 3 things that hadn't occurred to me.... Then the dreaded question... "How long have you had this printer?" I knew then I was f**ked and not in the good way...

"Ummm... lemme think", I kinda stammered, ".... We got it just before the wedding last year.... so we mighta got it in August or September."

"You don't happen to have the receipt do you?"... again... my heart sank... I could feel it somewhere behind my belt-buckle... and it was heading south

"Ya know... I'm honestly surprised it's not inside the front cover of the owners manual.... I mighta lost it in the wedding shuffle."

"oh.... Ummm... well...", and I prepared myself to live in a printerless house...

"Let's just pretend it's still under warranty, and I'll ship you out a new one."

I felt like I'd been slapped with a large cold fish... "Really??", in my best imitation of a pubescent boy... "DO I need to pay shipping or anything?"

"Oh no no no... never mind that... Lemme get your address off you and we'll have that delivered in 5-7 business days"

That was Friday... Today my new Epson CX4800 All-In-One arrived... and my old 4600, I can toss off a 5 story building or something....

,-)

indifan101

ClintonHammond said:
I can't say it often enough... and here's the latest example...

For no apparent reason, my printer (Epson CX4600 All-In-One) just upped and stopped printing... Not an uncommon occurrence here (But that gremlin is the subject of a different post) so I did what I knew to do to try to restore functionality, to no avail...

So, hit the phone to talk to someone... Was pleasant with her... joked with her... had her giggling all through the half hour or so call... She had me try two or 3 things that hadn't occurred to me.... Then the dreaded question... "How long have you had this printer?" I knew then I was f**ked and not in the good way...

"Ummm... lemme think", I kinda stammered, ".... We got it just before the wedding last year.... so we mighta got it in August or September."

"You don't happen to have the receipt do you?"... again... my heart sank... I could feel it somewhere behind my belt-buckle... and it was heading south

"Ya know... I'm honestly surprised it's not inside the front cover of the owners manual.... I mighta lost it in the wedding shuffle."

"oh.... Ummm... well...", and I prepared myself to live in a printerless house...

"Let's just pretend it's still under warranty, and I'll ship you out a new one."

I felt like I'd been slapped with a large cold fish... "Really??", in my best imitation of a pubescent boy... "DO I need to pay shipping or anything?"

"Oh no no no... never mind that... Lemme get your address off you and we'll have that delivered in 5-7 business days"

That was Friday... Today my new Epson CX4800 All-In-One arrived... and my old 4600, I can toss off a 5 story building or something....

,-)

I have an Epson printer too! I swear changing the ink cartrige is a real b;tch!

KDuncan

indifan101 said:
I have an Epson printer too! I swear changing the ink cartrige is a real b;tch!

You should meet out Canon -- we've had about four break on us already in one and a half years.

was it really necessary to quote my whole post?

In my exp. Epson have some of the easiest ink to change... I might just be lucky in my printer choices....

indifan101

Not if you have the color 440! Sometime it does't even let you change it! Oh and K I do have a Canon and yes I like it more than the Epson! But who needs those printers when you have a HP digital printer! Thats what I have!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I have an HP Laserjet 5MP. I love it. It prints quickly, top quality and has worked well for about six or seven years.

indifan101

Indy Parise said:
Mine's an HP photosmart so I can't complain:D

Good man! Thats what a printer should be! I love not going to Waly World and waiting a week for your photos to come back! All hail HP!:D

westford

Wow, you were lucky there! My grandfather got messed around by Canon when his printer broke down - they wanted him to send it back to them in the original packaging, which he'd thrown away assuming he'd never need it again. Then they said he'd have to take it to their service place 150 miles away. In the end he chucked it out and got a new printer (not a Canon).

I'm on my 2nd HP printer (the 1st still works, but I wanted a scanner/copier all-in-one, so my dad's got the old one). The only problem is the cost of ink catridges, but I've found a company who do refills for a good price.