Scandal of 1920

droboogie1

Watched this one last night, and I hadn't seen it since it first aired in '93. It was a nice touch to have these lighthearted episodes follow Indy's adventures during the war. It also showed the diversity that the show could bring.

Watching it, you know that Indy is going to get his comeuppance, but the way it's handled - with his birthday thrown in - was a delight.

Easily one of the highlights of the series.

AnnieJones

Too bad the show's timeline didn't last until 1934.That way he could have helped Cole Porter with the Broadway production of Anything Goes.lol!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
New recording by Seth MacFarlane from Family Guy.
In addition to showtunes, the album will feature some original material, including the song ‘She’s Wonderful Too’ written by Joel McNeely for an episode of the Lucasfilms television series The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Composed as a short piece for the show, MacFarlane and McNeely (with the blessing of George Lucas) composed additional lyrics and melodies to make a new and more complete song.

BadDates

Finished watching this for the first time a few minutes ago and thought I'd pop onto The Raven to see what other people thought of the episode. For my part I thought it was great - definitely one of my favourites.

Demitasse

The end kind of leaves you wanting more though, huh? I think I have a love-hate relationship with this one. Definitely an interesting side of Indy.

BadDates

Demitasse said:
The end kind of leaves you wanting more though, huh? I think I have a love-hate relationship with this one. Definitely an interesting side of Indy.

Ah, they all leave me wanting more (with the possible exception of "Espionage Escapades") :)
I found the end satisfying in its inevitability - one swiftly realises that the story has to end with Indy being caught out in grand style, but seeing the plot unfold towards that goal was a real pleasure!

Demitasse

This is nice to read while listening to McNeely's "A Poem for Indy" on OST #3!

Lover?s Meeting

Rainstorm over the city,
The sky black as a witch?s hat
Concrete canyons stream
Then, look, I see you running toward me
My own, my true, my love sunburst
Suddenly, the city?s a garden, glorious
Even the sidewalks shine

Stoo

BadDates said:
Finished watching this for the first time a few minutes ago and thought I'd pop onto The Raven to see what other people thought of the episode. For my part I thought it was great - definitely one of my favourites.
It always amazes me how "Scandal" seems to be so well appreciated and often mentioned as a 'favourite'. This episode does strike a chord with me because of similar experiences I've had juggling more than one girl at a time (while being exactly the same age Indy was...there was even a cake involved) but it is not in my top 10.

Glad you liked it though, BadDates. It's a different kind of adventure!;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
It always amazes me how "Scandal" seems to be so well appreciated and often mentioned as a 'favourite'. This episode does strike a chord with me because of similar experiences I've had juggling more than one girl at a time (while being exactly the same age Indy was...there was even a cake involved) but it is not in my top 10.

I would bet that part of the appeal - I don't know i'd put it in my top 10, but I've never tried to make a list - is that it does seem to do what it's trying to do, insofar as capturing what was going on culturally in New York at that time, with the Algonquin Round Table and the flapper type and Tin Pan Alley. It also probably resonates with Americans to see the Young Indy travelogue make its way to New York City.

It's also very fun, perhaps as straight-forwardly so as the series gets: open, earnest, and full of energy. Sean's Indy doesn't usually get to play around with other people who have that same attitude as he does, but they're all entertainment types, rather than warriors, revolutionaries, or brooding artist types. (We get Gershwin, obviously, but there's not a touch of brooding to it.)

How soon we forget...

Bill McKinney, Indy's original Mack from Scandal of 1920 dies...

390272_299447276755926_100000719686218_970499_296549839_n.jpg

To hell with First Blood, this guy knew how to party!

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Bill McKinney, Indy's original Mack from Scandal of 1920 dies...
Wow, I never realized he was the creepy hillbilly in "Deliverance".

His passing makes 3 deaths of Young Indy actors in 1 year.

Stoo

Sven, I'm impressed by your investigative skills and also by the elaborate means you took to obtain the magazine. How did you find the date? Using the zoom function on your DVD player?:confused:

Jackie Coogan played Tom Sawyer in the 1930s movies of Mark Twain's classic stories. Don't know if the reference was intentional or not but it's a nice touch. Great discovery! Wunderbar. :hat:

(The rest of your collection is amazing, too.:))

Salzmank

Yes, it bears almost no resemblance to the movie series and doesn’t really add anything to Indy’s character…but, man oh man, I love the Young Indiana Jones episode “The Scandal of 1920.” I’m a musical buff, so the premise automatically appeals to me, but it has so many other things I like: the ’20s, the Algonquin Round Table (Woollcott, Parker, and Benchley all accounted for!), farcical elements, Ernest Hemingway, George Gershwin, even a lovely Linda Ronstadt rendition of “The Man I Love” (anachronistic, sure, but the only problem is that the anachronism means poor ol’ Ira, who wrote the lyric, gets left out). And beautifully shot—I don’t know the director, but this is Hollywood-movie quality. Just a gem of an episode, definitely in my Top 5 for the show. Any other fans?

BlueCoronado

Yes, it bears almost no resemblance to the movie series and doesn’t really add anything to Indy’s character…but, man oh man, I love the Young Indiana Jones episode “The Scandal of 1920.” I’m a musical buff, so the premise automatically appeals to me, but it has so many other things I like: the ’20s, the Algonquin Round Table (Woollcott, Parker, and Benchley all accounted for!), farcical elements, Ernest Hemingway, George Gershwin, even a lovely Linda Ronstadt rendition of “The Man I Love” (anachronistic, sure, but the only problem is that the anachronism means poor ol’ Ira, who wrote the lyric, gets left out). And beautifully shot—I don’t know the director, but this is Hollywood-movie quality. Just a gem of an episode, definitely in my Top 5 for the show. Any other fans?
I more like peacock, winds of change and ,the blues

michael

Scandals is a top 5 episode for me tbh.

It's also hilarious. There's so many good lines.

"She looks....edible...."

"She should. Her old man owns the biggest meat packing plant in New Jersey."

I also have grown to appreciate how Lucas allowed for these post war episodes. To let Indy finally have some fun.