Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #26
mutt willams
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo
Thought of this during tonights watching. In the early scenes, the friend is already calling him "Indy", though the way the camera pans on the dog, it seems like it's supposed to imply that *that* is the dog that Indy has "fond memories" of... so you would have to assume that he assumed the name while the dog was still alive???

i think he did take the name before the dog died
mutt willams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #27
mutt willams
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLogan
I love the opening sequence and it is a shame River Phoenix was not alive to do the Young Indiana Jones series as he was perfect in the role. One "gripe" or more of a quandary actually is: Why is the kid with the floppy hat (Roscoe) pulling out a knife and trying to kill Indy? You know the part where they are wrestling on top of the train car and the Rhino puts his horn through the roof. I think I would have brought that up with the sheriff if I were Indy. I am sure fedora or panama hat didn't tell the goons go and kill the 13 year old boy scout, just to get the cross back. Attempted murder I think trumps theft of an artifact.

i dont get that either, he should have mentioned it to the sherrif
Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #28
mutt willams
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalkomania
I think it's amusing that Indy got his chin scar, his fear of snakes, his fedora and first use of the bullwhip all on the same day.

never really thought about that
Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #29
The Man
IndyFan

I used to think that, besides Fedora, the goons on the ship in 1938 were the same guys who chased Indy in 1912. Is there any evidence of that?
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #30
mutt willams
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
I used to think that, besides Fedora, the goons on the ship in 1938 were the same guys who chased Indy in 1912. Is there any evidence of that?

it think it was the guy in the car, remember when roscoe runs out of the house and hands the cross to that guy, i think it was him!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #31
The Man
IndyFan

The goons!
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #32
jonesissparrow
IndyFan

In my opinion the opening sequence of LC really do feel like a Saturday Matinee Serial, maybe Spielberg was inspired by this serial for the opening:

I think out of all the four its the most charming if that's the right word and it shows that Indy was always an improviser even in his childhood.
jonesissparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #33
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Indeed. Cool it, you two.
I took it to the appropriate thread. Hope yooze all is happy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo
Thought of this during tonights watching. In the early scenes, the friend is already calling him "Indy", though the way the camera pans on the dog, it seems like it's supposed to imply that *that* is the dog that Indy has "fond memories" of... so you would have to assume that he assumed the name while the dog was still alive???
If you accept the Young Indy Chronicles, then Indy took the name when his was a child.

As for death of Indiana, the dog, there are two versions. Supposedly:
1914 June: The dog dies fighting a rattesnake (Young Indiana Jones and the Secret City)
1916 April c.: The dog dies of old age. (DK Ultimate Guide + ???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesissparrow
In my opinion the opening sequence of LC really do feel like a Saturday Matinee Serial, maybe Spielberg was inspired by this serial for the opening:
GREAT find, jonesissparrow! As a collector of films movies/serials that inspired Indy, I really appreciate this.

The ghost town subject here reminds me of "Raiders of Ghost City"
Also, dig the chapter titles, "River of Doom", "Descending Doom" (with the
latter being the same as another serial I like).

Thanks again for posting that!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #34
Agent Spalko

Shouldn't have brought it into this thread in the first place.
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #35
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Indeed. Cool it, you two.

I'm calm I was just stating I'm tired of hearing people complain about the opening I thought it was a real treat to see Young Indy.
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #36
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man

I doubt it. Rough Rider especially looked pretty old. And none of the crewmen on the Coronado appeared to be Native American. I think by then Panama Hat had hired a new gang. Besides, those guys were just the ship's crew mostly, I think.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #37
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

The more I think about this opening, the more I hate it. In fact, it's by far, my least favorite opening of the quadrilogy.

The fact that Indy gets his phobia of snakes, his scar, the whip and the hat within that period of time in just one day not only is unbelievable, I really think it cheapens the character of Indiana Jones as he's suppose to be a legend in that he has so many elements of his costume and character that are mysterious and that you never quite know how he got them and assume he got them with various different adventures, so it really gives you the sense of history that Indiana Jones has and all the many adventures he has been through. The fact he just got them all in just one coincidental event in just an hour or so rather cheapens that sense of mystery Indy has.

I also hate this opening because it literally has nothing to do with the movie. Sure it somewhat establishes tension Henry and Indy have always had against each other, but just think the large improvement this movie would've had the opening been stretched out as flashbacks through-out the movie, that not only would establish his relationship with his father better, but would've expanded Indy's adventurous resume having separate occasions to when got a phobia of snakes, his hat, his scar and fedora, and not make it a a part of a very forced opening 5-10 minutes.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #38
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
The fact that Indy gets his phobia of snakes, his scar, the whip and the hat within that period of time in just one day not only is unbelievable, I really think it cheapens the character of Indiana Jones
Believability & Indiana Jones should never be mentioned in the same sentence.
Quote:
Sure it somewhat establishes tension Henry and Indy have always had against each other, but just think the large improvement this movie would've had the opening been stretched out as flashbacks through-out the movie, that not only would establish his relationship with his father better, but would've expanded Indy's adventurous resume having separate occasions to when got a phobia of snakes, his hat, his scar and fedora, and not make it a a part of a very forced opening 5-10 minutes.
I'm sure you know but what you wish for already exists!
Like it or not, it's called, "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles".
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #39
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Like it or not, it's called, "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles".

Believe it or not, I've not seen an episode of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles".
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #40
Moedred
Administrator

Just noticed Hitchcock's 1938 film "The Lady Vanishes" features a magician's trunk with a false bottom in the train's luggage compartment, and various other props and animals belonging to the Italian Signor Doppo.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #41
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Just noticed Hitchcock's 1938 film "The Lady Vanishes" features a magician's trunk with a false bottom in the train's luggage compartment, and various other props and animals belonging to the Italian Signor Doppo.

Good catch. Date also fits the main segment, which is neat symmetry.

Whole movie is downloadable. The section you describe begins at 55:25.

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #42
Duaner
IndyFan

I'm sure other people have caught the inconsistency between the beginning sequence of Last Crusade and an episode of Young Indiana Jones. In LC, Indy picks up the snake and says, "It's only a snake." In the "British East Africa, 1909" episode set three years before the LC segment, Indy and Meto run from a snake and Indy says, "I hate snakes!"
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #43
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I quite enjoy the opening scene. As already mentioned its very reminiscent of something from a western or a serial and its all very well done in my opinion. I like the fact that it was something totally unexpected, I went in on first viewing without a clue what was coming and it was refreshing I thought.

Quote:
The more I think about this opening, the more I hate it. In fact, it's by far, my least favorite opening of the quadrilogy.

The fact that Indy gets his phobia of snakes, his scar, the whip and the hat within that period of time in just one day not only is unbelievable, I really think it cheapens the character of Indiana Jones as he's suppose to be a legend in that he has so many elements of his costume and character that are mysterious and that you never quite know how he got them and assume he got them with various different adventures, so it really gives you the sense of history that Indiana Jones has and all the many adventures he has been through. The fact he just got them all in just one coincidental event in just an hour or so rather cheapens that sense of mystery Indy has.

I also hate this opening because it literally has nothing to do with the movie. Sure it somewhat establishes tension Henry and Indy have always had against each other, but just think the large improvement this movie would've had the opening been stretched out as flashbacks through-out the movie, that not only would establish his relationship with his father better, but would've expanded Indy's adventurous resume having separate occasions to when got a phobia of snakes, his hat, his scar and fedora, and not make it a a part of a very forced opening 5-10 minutes.
And its something that annoyed Star Wars fans with the prequel trilogy when he seemed to be demystifying the origins of characters from the original trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
A great film, much better than the 70's remake starring Cybil Shepherd and Elliot Gould.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #44
mrman7
IndyFan

Man! All the talk about Indy's Hair! That was the style at the time, it was just generally slicked back. Since Indy's out adventuring, it falls in his face. Never phased me. Loved this sequence as a kid. Cute little prequel-esque references that establish bits of Indy's formative years. The fedora pass-off is classic and I love the little glimpse of Henry Sr. The train fight doesn't stack up with other action scenes in the movie FOR SURE. There's a scene where Indy's running away and the dudes are just STANDING there. I thought it set the stage perfectly for the Young Indy TV series which I enjoyed. All in all, I thought this was a fun way to open the flick. Is it as good as Raiders' opening? Nah, that's a freaking CLASSIC that defined the whole tone of the series. All in all, I give it two Indy thumbs up.
mrman7 is offline   Reply With Quote