Indiana Jones and the search for...

Pale Horse

Staff member
I tried to search for something along the lines of my next idea, and found nothing obvious. In any event, I will throw this out there for all to view and critique.

What if Indiana Jones is the artifact that is lost.

Is there enough of a story to pursue here or is Kevin going to give me a breathalizer?

ROTLA

Check out my post in your thread "Sunset Ending Ver. 2.40" and you'll see it's along the same lines as this idea.

swords

"Are you sober?"

I don't think you mean literally, unless you do, but then again Beloq once said,"You are about to become an permanent addition to this archeaological find, who knows, maybe one day you'll be worth something."

I can see this, kind of what "Indy noir" would be like.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Can't believe you beat 00Kevin to the punch.
I don't know how much I have actually thought about it.
Could you have a movie where the main character is not exactally present? Not that he wouldn't have screen time, but what if he is the thing others are looking for?
I don't know, maybe I need to get out of the Raven for an hour and see the sun. Play in the snow, you know.

swords

apalehorse said:
Can't believe you beat 00Kevin to the punch.

I was actually trying to say the opposite, but it's really the same question asked in reverse!

This will problably sound an bit weird, but what if Indy has the artifact in his stomach, or somewhere in his body? And the "bad guys" know about it and they need to cut Indy open? Okay, it sounds bad, nevermind...

Pale Horse

Staff member
The only thing I see coming out of this is a separate thread called (Indy Noir) were all these things can be hashed

Canyon

The idea that perhaps Indy would be somehow lost came to me a long time ago.

What if the film starts with newspaper and radio reports stating that Indy is missing.

"We have had news that the world famous archaeologist and adventurer, Henry Jones Jr. is missing. Dr. Jones was last seen leaving for the Amazon Jungle two months ago but nobody has heard anything since his departure. Colleagues and friends are extremely concerned as even though Professor Jones is known to be absent for long periods of time, there has been no contact."

Henry Jones Sr. is out of his mind with worry and Marion, Willie and various other girlfrieds now feel guilty for breaking up with Indy...

Then we go onto a scene where some friends of Indy's go searching for him. We then flash forward to the Amazon where a very dishevelled Indiana Jones is running from something. His hair is tousled, he is covered in cuts and bruises and his clothes are ripped and torn. He stops suddenly (similary as he does in Raiders and Temple) and the camera pans into his eyes, and we are taken back two months before and we find out why Indy went missing and exactly what he is running from.

That part I haven't worked out yet... :D

Also I would love to see a classroom scene and I have an idea how they would incorperate this into Indy 4. Indy is rescued by his friends, and decides that his adventurous lifestyle is just too dangerous. He rests up and spends time with his father. Some time later with his father and various friends supporting him, Indy decides that he's had enough and he wants to give up the 'adventurous' side of his career and teach. He also wishes to resume his digging career (similar to the beginning of the Infernal Machine).

Indy's friends throw him a semi-retiring bash and there he meets up with several of his old girlfriends. One woman comes up to him and askes him how he is and no sooner has she done that, Willie comes over and kisses him on the cheek etc. ;)

During the party, Indy's father becomes ill and is taken to hospital. There, Henry tells Indy about a dangerous artifact which he knows the location of. Indy is told by doctors that his father is dying, and so Indy must find this artifact as the fate of his father and the world hangs in the balance.

Will Indy survive the treachery he is about to face? Can he survive one more adventure?

Da da da da!!! Da da da.... :D

Well they're just some ideas I've got.

"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go..." :D

bob

Hmmmmm

Indy lost?

I dont think (if i understand what the propostion is) that any Indy movie can survive long without the main character, the supporting cast of Indy is completely reliant and subsurvient to him. The real quesiton is who would look for him and keep the movie going?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I know it doesn't carry much weight, but doesn't something like this lead to an interesting vein about McCarthyism and the witchhunt for communism?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
apalehorse said:
I know it doesn't carry much weight, but doesn't something like this lead to an interesting vein about McCarthyism and the witchhunt for communism?

Hmm...perhaps, I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind, but it actually seems to me that Indy would be on camera quite a bit if it went that route, and also don't feel he would be lost...rather, he would be in newspapers, newsreels, television, etc.

Pale Horse

Staff member
That's kinda the idea, I guess, the fact that everyone is on a man hunt for Indy, who isn't really lost. A bit along the lines of "Indy Noir". It would also hint at everyone's lost but me. It might also play well into the idea that he is now a remenant of the past and must be put away for his shady deeds. [sounds a little like the Fugative]

Canyon

Don't get me wrong. I do not mean that I want to see Indy only appear partially in the film. I just liked the idea that Indy was perhaps missing, and thought it would be an interesting way to start the movie.

I did not intend to imply that Indy only occasionally appear in the movie. I like yourselves sincerely hope that we see a helluva lot of our hero! :D