Emma
Jasmine

Boys are
Tyler
Dillon
Christian
Zachary
Ethan

Sawyer and Tabitha are interesting to us...

I like strong names. . .

On the boy side, I'm liking Christian and Sawyer the most.

On the girl side, I'm liking Alexis and Emma.

westford

Pale Horse said:
Abigail Smith, First Lady....It does have a ring to it, to be sure.
Setting your sights a bit low aren't you Pale? Abigail Smith, US President - that sounds much better ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
My dear westford, while I appreciate both the fact that you respect me and Thanatosis enough to raise a presidential candidate and that she could preserve herself to such a cause, I would discourage her in that endeavor, only to save her from an assassins bullet.

And Joe, jut to clarify, the top names repectively are not our choices, they are from the book in question. I too agree in a strong name. From a Biblical perspective, names give bearing on an entire character. More than one individual had their moniker changed to reflect a change in attitude and destiny.

I would assert that nameing a child is the first act of a parent that determines which path their offspring will take, and it can limit others as well.

(an aside to CH, with a little elbow)
"So why let the people of this board decide....." {snicker}

Curiosity, mostly. The decision is ours, but if someone throws out a name we miss in 4 different books, all the better. This is also an international board, and we are hoping to find a unique perspective on names from around the world. Also, tired of all the negativity. Babies always bring joy.

Deadlock

Sorry for my belated congratulations (at least in the official thread). Here are my incoherent contributions:

1. I agree with the idea that middle names are a good place for oddball names that you like that you might not want to doom your children for life. (My parents were subscribers to this theory. My middle name is “Orion.”)
2. For the love of God, don’t give your kid a bizarrely spelled rendition of a name in the name of “uniqueness”. Krystine? Mikel? C’mon... :rolleyes:
3. Here they have a fun tool for looking at popular American names by birth year (courtesy of Social Security).
4. Always consider the nickname. Abigail is a nice name, but how do you feel about “Abby”?
5. I like some of your proposed names: “Christian” and “Ethan” have appeared on the Deadlocks' short list previously. And we’ve actually used “Emma”.
6. Suggestions... For a girl: Hannah (or it’s more direct translation. Frankly, I'm surprised to not see it on the list. ;)). For a boy: Simon (a key name in several good books ;)).

Indy Benson

If it's a boy, name him Sue.
If that doesn't toughen him up, nothing will, and.....what?! It worked in that Johnny Cash song. :)

Declan Mick (That I mentioned on page one, came this close to being named Brendan Yeats... after 2 of the best Irish (or indeed from anywhere) poets ever....

But fortunately his ma & da noticed that his initials would have been B.Y. O'B......

LOL

Tessa

Moderator Emeritus
Okay. I'll tell you my three kids names:

Bryan Stanley (we middle named him after my dad. I wanted Alexander but with initials...he would have been A.S.S., but he's B.S.S.)

Caitlin Julianne (Originally wanted Katherine after my late grandmother. My hubby didn't like it. Bryan ended up choosing the name. The middle name is a combination of my MIL's and my mom's (Julie and Ann)

Alexander Eric Nicholas (it was originally Eric Alexander. Eric for my husband's favorite uncle but his cousin beat us to it. Reversed the first two and added Nicholas since his birthday is close to Christmas)

We had also on our list:
Ava Elizabeth
Jessica Rose
Krystina Elizabeth

Dylan Michael
Craig Richard
Duncan Andrew

Hubby wanted Tiffany (which I vetoed) and Jack Daniel (this was when he was drunk).

In Bryan's class, there's a Noah, Bryce, Wyatt, Hannah, Michelle, Michael, Sam, Brianne, Molly, Jennifer
In Caitlin's: Hannah, Jessica, Cole, Chase, Jennifer, Emma, Jack, Tristian

Joe Brody

Tessa said:
In Bryan's class, there's a Noah, Bryce, Wyatt, Hannah, Michelle, Michael, Sam, Brianne, Molly, Jennifer
In Caitlin's: Hannah, Jessica, Cole, Chase, Jennifer, Emma, Jack, Tristian

I think this list is really representative. Jack and Sam -- are both good names but have become way too popular.

Wyatt and Cole sound good but I wonder if they will sound trendy in 20 years.

Tristian? Sounds like someone was watching Legends of the Fall.

Tessa

Moderator Emeritus
Joe Brody said:
I think this list is really representative. Jack and Sam -- are both good names but have become way too popular.

So has Emma and Jennifer. Jessica too.

Wyatt and Cole sound good but I wonder if they will sound trendy in 20 years.

True. I had a girl in my high school class that was named Genevieve. We called here Genni. Same with Violet. Called her Vi.

And funny enough...Wyatt is Bryan's best friend name. And the dog we got at the shelter is named Wyatt (we never changed it). And Wyatt (Bryan's friend) his older brother is named Bryin. Go figure.

Tristian? Sounds like someone was watching Legends of the Fall.
LOL. At our parent Pre-K meeting, one of the moms brought in her one year old. Ironically his name is Anakin. She wanted Leia for her daughter but her husband vetoed it and named her Grace.

I was flipping through the yearbook last year and found these:
Weston, Connor, Jackson, Benjamin, Reece, Jason, Cory

Ruth, Heather, Stacia, Hope, Faith, Michaela, Heidi

annu

Let's presume that Romans were right and Nomen est omen.

If you want a stubborn bonehead name him Finn.

Here are some exotic Finnish names:
Boys:
Ylermi
Untamo
Olavi
Aukusti

Girls:
Hellevi
Vilhelmina
Adalmina
Matleena

Use on your own risk. I am not responsible if he or she gets bullied in school.

On more serious tone, a specially pretty girl's name is Annamaria. (Don't ask why.)

roundshort

WOW, thats great news Pale! I hope the best for the both of you! After reading some of the recent posts "flames" here this seems to be one of the bright threads left on the board.

Names,
well Bacon is great, so is Syrah . .

No really take Johnny's avice, if it is a boy name him Sue.
as for girls I like
Cameron and Lesley.

Good Luck hope to see you at Napa Rose where you and I can toast your good fortune as your wife looks on!

Tennessee R

Indy Benson said:
If it's a boy, name him Sue.

My name is Sue. How do you do? Now you gonna DIE! ;)

Anyway, congratulations, Pale Horse and his lovely wife.
By the way, I thought you had your name legally changed from "apalehorse" to "Pale Horse"? So where does this "Smith" business come in? Huh? Sounds phony to me! ;)

I always thought that Destiny, Margaret, or Elizabeth sounded nice if it's a filly.

Selina is also a girl name that sticks in my mind.

Or Michael, Jonathan, Samuel, Robert for a bay - I mean boy. ;)

Also, two people I know have Dylan and Dallas as first names, which I think has a nice ring to it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Good Luck hope to see you at Napa Rose where you and I can toast your good fortune as your wife looks on!

Alas, been dry since we found out. A glass at Napa would be wonderful. Hell so would a cellar at this point.

roundshort

Aaron H said:
Or pehaps he needs some sympath absinth.(y)

Umm just received a new bottle of Moulin Vert Absinthe, 68! That will help you think up some great names if you have enough of it!

Congratulations Palehorse! Hey roundshort Ive been looking for absynthe for awhile, never could find any here in the Medditeranean or anywhere for that matter, any tips, where did you get yours? :hat: I like the name Connery, the name bacon is just flat out hilarious!!!

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Sympathy abstinence?

"Then he should these men of will what will really was"....

whoops wrong thread.

I guess that would be one way of looking at it. It's just good health too. She is eating very well, and as much as I love a great steak and a glass of fermented grape juice, or hot wings and a stout porter, nothing seems to go well with waterchestnut salad and tofu patties.

Wine-ing aside

There are some amazing contributions here. Being the baby is coming in May, we have some time, so this will be a long thread.

Thank you all for your input.