"Secrets of a Master Builder" Footage - KotCS

Stoo

In the end credits of "Skull" there is this:

?Secrets of a Master Builder? Footage Courtesy of WGBH Boston
c 2001 WGBH Educational Entertainment

which is undoubtedly this PBS special: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/eads/

Does anyone have any clue as to what footage is being referred to here?:confused: (It's not the riverboat.)

nitzsche

This is interesting. I checked out what information I could find about ?Secrets of a Master Builder? and the only possible link to Indy footage would seem to be the riverboat, but you know it is definitely not that?

I am intrigued!

Stoo said:
Does anyone have any clue as to what footage is being referred to here?:confused: (It's not the riverboat.)

Why do you say it's not?

Didn't they travel by river boat to the Russian encampment where we see Marion and Ox for the first time?

Could it have been part of the travel montage there ala "Lost Horizon"?

I think it is...

Last edited:

Stoo

The 2 riverboats are from a 1997 documentary called "Amazon". (See here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140803/) as per the credits in "Skull":

Aerials of Riverboat from ?Amazon? Courtesy of MacGillivray Freeman Films

Even more intriguing are these:

Stock Footage Provided by Getty Images
Stock Footage Provided by Framepool

These could be the background in the plane shot of the montage just before the boat and, perhaps, the Nazca aerial shots.

Stoo said:
The 2 riverboats are from a 1997 documentary called "Amazon". (See here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0140803/) as per the credits in "Skull":

Aerials of Riverboat from ?Amazon? Courtesy of MacGillivray Freeman Films

Even more intriguing are these:

Stock Footage Provided by Getty Images
Stock Footage Provided by Framepool

These could be the background in the plane shot of the montage just before the boat and, perhaps, the Nazca aerial shots.

These are good reasons!:hat:

Stoo

Meerkat said:
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Thanks for letting us know, Meerkat.:rolleyes: I have no idea what "Twilight" is so I guess that makes things even.:p

Rocket Surgeon said:
These are good reasons!
It's all in the fine print!:)

Rocket and nitzsche (or anyone else), care to take another guess at what the "Master Builder" footage could be? I'm stumped for the moment.

Stoo said:
Rocket and nitzsche (or anyone else), care to take another guess at what the "Master Builder" footage could be? I'm stumped for the moment.

Keep in mind they credit those Hitchcock films as well yet they cannot be seen in the movie...

nitzsche

The Master Builder documentary dealt with bridges over rivers, New Orleans, and the Mississippi, so that's why I thought about the riverboat. I need to comb the movie for some montage stuff and see if anything pops out at me.

It is possible these shots were borrowed, cut, but still credited. But I like this topic. I had no idea they used stock footage.

EDIT: Actually, there are two boats. One is the river boat and one is the larger ship. This larger ship could be from "Secrets of a Master Builder".

Last edited:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Keep in mind they credit those Hitchcock films as well yet they cannot be seen in the movie...
Yes, but those Hitchcock credits are just for the posters, not the films themselves. They might be in there somewhere...

nitzsche said:
The Master Builder documentary dealt with bridges over rivers, New Orleans, and the Mississippi, so that's why I thought about the riverboat. I need to comb the movie for some montage stuff and see if anything pops out at me.

It is possible these shots were borrowed, cut, but still credited. But I like this topic. I had no idea they used stock footage.

EDIT: Actually, there are two boats. One is the river boat and one is the larger ship. This larger ship could be from "Secrets of a Master Builder".
The riverboat footage was a reasonable assumption (and one I would have arrived at myself, had I not read the "Amazon" credit.;)) As I noted above, there are indeed 2 boats but the credits say: "Aerials of the Riverboat". Aerials is plural so we can assume that both shots are from "Amazon".

The "Master Builder" footage may well have been cut from the film but I'd like to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Darth Vile

I always found it odd that they included some stoke footage, which you'd think would be easy to replicate via CGI. Can anyone recall if stock footage was used in any of the other movies?

Darth Vile said:
I always found it odd that they included some stoke footage, which you'd think would be easy to replicate via CGI. Can anyone recall if stock footage was used in any of the other movies?
Rocket Surgeon said:
Could it have been part of the travel montage there ala "Lost Horizon"?
The Washingon Street scene at the end of Raiders was borrowed as well...

Udvarnoky

Wasn't there originally supposed to be an actual brief riverboat scene? Cutting it out could explain the use of stock footage.

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
Young Indy borrows a lot of footage. "Old Gringo, "The Lighthorsemen", "Lion of the Desert", "55 Days at Peking", "The Singing Detective", the made-for-TV version of "All Quiet on the Western Front" and some colourized, archival footage (and probably more).

Rocket Surgeon said:
The Washingon Street scene at the end of Raiders was borrowed as well...
Didn't know that! You learn something new everyday.:D Now I'm wondering about some of the montage footage from the first 3 movies.

Udvarnoky said:
Wasn't there originally supposed to be an actual brief riverboat scene? Cutting it out could explain the use of stock footage.
I don't know about that. The only stuff (that I'm aware of) filmed outside the U.S. were the long shots of the waterfall by a second unit team in Venezuela which would mean that all the travel montage footage is stock. Looks like both Getty Images and Framepool are contenders for the Nazca shots.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?src=quick&contractUrl=2&assetType=image&phrase=Nazca

http://www.framepool.com/frame.jsp?ct=1253560105445

emtiem said:
There is a sort of aerial view of a riverboat before the camp scene, isn't there?
Read the thread, MTM.;):whip:

Stoo

Stoo said:
I don't know about that. The only stuff (that I'm aware of) filmed outside the U.S. were the long shots of the waterfall by a second unit team in Venezuela...
Whoooops.:eek: Just want to correct myself. It's on the Brazil-Argentinian border (Iguazu Falls) where they also shot aerial footage of the surrounding jungle terrain there.

Anyway, I found the "Vertigo" poster in "Skull"!(y) (Funny having it in there considering the film came out in 1958!)

Crack that whip

If memory serves (and goodness knows it often doesn't, so don't take my word for it, :eek: but anyway...), the plane footage from the map montage when Indy and Marion are flying from Nepal to Egypt in Raiders of the Lost Ark is taken from a '50s Paramount movie (I don't know which, sorry - but I'm sure we can find out, if it's true... ;) ).

Insomniac

Crack that whip said:
If memory serves (and goodness knows it often doesn't, so don't take my word for it, :eek: but anyway...), the plane footage from the map montage when Indy and Marion are flying from Nepal to Egypt in Raiders of the Lost Ark is taken from a '50s Paramount movie (I don't know which, sorry - but I'm sure we can find out, if it's true... ;) ).
It's either in Passage to China or Lost Horizon.

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
I always found it odd that they included some stoke footage, which you'd think would be easy to replicate via CGI.
:confused: This is a very backwards way of thinking. As Harrison Ford once said: "Easy? Ya call that easy?"
Crack that whip said:
If memory serves (and goodness knows it often doesn't, so don't take my word for it, but anyway...), the plane footage from the map montage when Indy and Marion are flying from Nepal to Egypt in Raiders of the Lost Ark is taken from a '50s Paramount movie (I don't know which, sorry - but I'm sure we can find out, if it's true... ).
Didn't know that but I wouldn't be surprised now that Rocket mentioned the Washington shot!
Insomniac said:
It's either in Passage to China or Lost Horizon.
"Lost Horizon" is a strong possibility but "Passage to China"? Are you sure about that title, Insomniac? There is a "China Passage" movie but it's in black & white. Anyway, thanks for chiming in!:hat:
Rocket Surgeon said:
...ok...

Do I have to ask?
The I.D. on the "Wrong Man" poster is not 100% positive but it sure looks like very similar (and this would seemingly be the most logical place). What do you think?

HitchcockPosters.jpg