Old 08-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #51
Don Karnage
IndyFan

well yeah.
Don Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #52
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Yup, I'm going to start uploading 'London, 1916' in its entirety to Youtube tonight... I'm only on dialup, so it'll take a few days... but watch this space!

I think rather than have to go through all burning and sharing and stuff, I think anyone who can should start upping them to Youtube. It's probably the easiest way to get the series seen by everyone.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #53
Junior Jones
IndyFan

I don't think it's a good idea to put copyrighted material up on YouTube. Especially when the DVD's are coming out soon.

For one thing, it's not legal.

Second, it's not the best format. YouTube is great for home videos, but professionally filmed stuff just looks expecially crappy. Maybe clips would be good for advertising, but not entire episodes.

Third, we're getting some of the DVD's in October. If people can see the episodes for free online, a lot of potential buyers won't spend the money to get DVD's. And if the first wave doesn't sell well, we may never see a second or third wave. (It's happened before with the VHS series.)
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #54
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
I don't think it's a good idea to put copyrighted material up on YouTube. Especially when the DVD's are coming out soon.

It would be different if we were getting the original episodes on DVD.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #55
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

That's exactly right - at the very least I intend to post on youtube the bookends of the original episodes that I still have.

Princeton 1916
London 1916
Ireland 1916
and Paris 1916

But even then, they've fundamentally altered and recut alot of episodes (not just getting rid of the bookends).

Palestine 1917 for example was infinitely better than 'Daredevils of the Desert' for example.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 AM   #56
No Ticket
IndyFan

I have watched some young Indy, but I was pretty unaware that they had hacked them up the way that they have. I think the old Indy stuff is actually integral to making the series more interesting, because it ties it to the older Indy. Even though it's not Harrison Ford... your seeing the guy who saw the Ark of the Covenant and the guy who fell off a mountain side on a tank or was drug by a truck along a dirt road... and it just makes it more interesting for me.

I'm even LESS compelled to watch them on DVD knowing they're cutting that stuff out. When I was a kid watching this stuff, that was the main reason I went to watch it, the 90-year old Indy being in it.

I'm no real fan of Young Indy but even I think it should be shown in it's original form. So kudos to you for YouTube'n it.

(looking at the main forum page, it looks like i'm the last guy who posted in almost every forum/thread at the moment, which must mean I'm the only guy posting right now - to quote Ace Ventura, "Awwww... nobody wants to play with me!")
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #57
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
It would be different if we were getting the original episodes on DVD.

Not quite...I think there's something about how much of a work is used. If you're taking it in full, as it is about to be a commercial product, and allowing it to be obtained for free in a public forum...I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but that seems like highly questionable territory to me, and no claims on behalf of artistic purity (which is complicated enough to begin with when it's the artist himself doing the alterations) can truly change that. If you're just putting the bookends, or segments, then that might be fair use, but entire episodes? I'd very much doubt it.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #58
No Ticket
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Not quite...I think there's something about how much of a work is used. If you're taking it in full, as it is about to be a commercial product, and allowing it to be obtained for free in a public forum...I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but that seems like highly questionable territory to me, and no claims on behalf of artistic purity (which is complicated enough to begin with when it's the artist himself doing the alterations) can truly change that. If you're just putting the bookends, or segments, then that might be fair use, but entire episodes? I'd very much doubt it.

I don't think anyone here is really questioning if it's legal or not. Of course it's not legal to put entire episodes of anything on YouTube. But it happens. If HE wants to risk it then HE can do it. They won't sue him, all they'll do is take it off when somebody finally catches on if they do. As far as it affecting DVD sales. If he puts it ALL up, it MIGHT.

But really, I'd buy a DVD quality box set any day compared to watching something on crappy 'ol YouTube quality.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #59
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
But really, I'd buy a DVD quality box set any day compared to watching something on crappy 'ol YouTube quality.

And I'd take a quality program with bad picture and sound over a mediocre reedited version with good picture and sound.

Last edited by Matinee Idyll : 08-21-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #60
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Is anyone still interested in doing this? If not, I'm considering checking into those bootleg DVD sets of the original episodes that show up on young indy-related google searches. Does anyone know what the quality of those are?

I bought the official DVDs of volume one the day they came out, and it has been frustrating to see the show in such high quality, but from inferior edits.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #61
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:
Is anyone still interested in doing this? If not, I'm considering checking into those bootleg DVD sets of the original episodes that show up on young indy-related google searches. Does anyone know what the quality of those are?

I bought the official DVDs of volume one the day they came out, and it has been frustrating to see the show in such high quality, but from inferior edits.

I asked around about this a while back, and was led to believe that the quality of those bootleg dvds would be rather poor, like VHS or worse, but I don't know for sure, since complete and utter lack of funds has made taking the gamble on ordering them all but impossible. Personally, I think it'd be worth it, as long as the series was there in its entirety as originally aired (and edited,) especially considering that the price of the bootleg set is considerably less than the newly-released official set. I could care less about legality.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #62
Shazam
IndyFan

Anything new on this project or has it died?
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #63
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

Exclamation

I just bought a new computer and I can't make my tv card work. I have a Cinergy 600 internal card and it produces only audio. It must have something to do with the VGA. It's been probling me for three weeks now. If anyone can help me with that I'd be oblidged. I'll let you know.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:38 AM   #64
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

Sorry, it's troubling me not probling me.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #65
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Someone's put a laserdisc set up for sale again on eBay.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #66
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Someone's put a laserdisc set up for sale again on eBay.

Man,54 bucks to ship to the States..

If my money wasn't tied up to other things...
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #67
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

A few days ago, I submitted a message to the official Indiana Jones MySpace page, in which I asked Lucasfilm if they could possibly release the original episodes of YIJC on DVD one day. I explained to them briefly how I miss the George Hall bookends and the opening credit sequence. To drive the point home, I included a YouTube link to the last few minutes of "London, May 1916".

Though the comment was submitted successfully, I saw that comments have to be approved before they're posted. Needless to say, my comment wasn't approved. But at least someone at Lucasfilm (whoever runs the official IJ MySpace account) viewed the message, and may have mentioned it to someone else. And you know how that goes.

Last edited by Adamwankenobi : 03-17-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #68
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Now someone's put the PAL VHS tapes with the original episodes up on eBay. Again, too expensive for me at the moment.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #69
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Now someone's put the PAL VHS tapes with the original episodes up on eBay. Again, too expensive for me at the moment.

Unfortunately the seller didn't put the names of the episodes. Anyone know which episodes are on these?
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #70
Stoo
IndyFan

1 - Curse of the Jackal
2 - London 1916/Vienna 1908
3 - Verdun 1916/Austria 1917
4 - German East Africa 1916/Congo 1917
5 - Somme 1916/Germany 1916
6 - Barcelona 1917/British East Africa 1909
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #71
fommes
IndyFan

Did this project ever come through? A great pity if it didn't, I would just love to have the original episodes on DVD. I've only taped a few episodes of it back in my youth, and it has been ages since I've seen them. I've been waiting for them, hoping they would get on the DVD release. I'll undoubtedly buy the DVDs -they're not out yet in the Benelux...- but I really want to see them again in their original format.
I like the idea of putting them chronologically, as they did in the edited versions, and creating some coherence, but the 'flashback' factor in the old episodes is so much more interesting structurally and narratively.
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #72
KillerKellerjr
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
Did this project ever come through? A great pity if it didn't, I would just love to have the original episodes on DVD. I've only taped a few episodes of it back in my youth, and it has been ages since I've seen them. I've been waiting for them, hoping they would get on the DVD release. I'll undoubtedly buy the DVDs -they're not out yet in the Benelux...- but I really want to see them again in their original format.
I like the idea of putting them chronologically, as they did in the edited versions, and creating some coherence, but the 'flashback' factor in the old episodes is so much more interesting structurally and narratively.

Digging up an old thread. I have this DVD set with bookends. I believe I got it from yijc.net or yijc.com. Did a 2 part trade with someone for them. They are well done and rips from TV recordings or VHS rips with bookends, DVD menus and I think a disc with the artwork if you wanted to make a case for each DVD. Is this type of trading allowed on here? If so I'd be willing to negotiate a trade if someone is interested. Sorry if this is not allowed. PM me.
KillerKellerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #73
youngindygirl
IndyFan

Posting here, I am also interested in seeing the original episodes again. Though I did like the movie versions as well. (I thought the format fit better in some cases.)
youngindygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #74
ThrowMeTheWhip
IndyFan

Glad to see some interest.

I do have some of the series on the rare Australian VHS, and still a bit more of it on the rare Japanese laserdisc, though that one has Japanese subtitles.

If I can get hands on a PAL VCR, I'd be willing to rip the 4 episodes I have on VHS. I have 15 episodes on Laserdisc that I'm willing to rip as well.

Not sure yet how I'd want to distribute these. I've also considered recutting the episodes using the DVD as master source.

Would be interested in hearing other's input.
ThrowMeTheWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #75
micsteam
IndyFan

I have the Japanese LD set as well, I never had a Laser Disc player in my life and purchased one just to view these, they are nice !! I'm working to finish " video capturing " each episode to a video file to burn them to DVD. I have 5 episodes so far, it's very time consuming and I mostly don't have the time but if people are interested I will continue the project. These are direct rips from 4.3 aspect to DVD so most people will be watching these " in a box " if you get my meaning.
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote