General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

If those "Forgotten Gods" were Cthulhu and his ilk this would be getting interesting.

If true, it suggests a non-mainstream artifact, and I'm all for Indy delving into really arcane stuff.

Indy's brother

paulfreeman said:
Hey, just passing on the rumor, but I heard that this is actual insider info! Lucas has been working on the script himself, and the title could be 'Indiana Jones and the Army of The Forgotten Gods'. Sounds like a great title to me. I only wish I knew what it was about, Army of the Gods! sounds awsome!

Link.....?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Hmm...

250px-TombOfTheGods1final.jpg

+

250px-AotD.jpg

+ "Forgotten"

= <I>Indiana Jones and the Army of the Forgotten Gods</I>?

Seems like one possible origin story for this particular rumor. Honestly, we should just come up with some sort of title generator that can keep spewing out new rumors.

Dr. Gonzo

paulfreeman said:
Hey, just passing on the rumor, but I heard that this is actual insider info! Lucas has been working on the script himself, and the title could be 'Indiana Jones and the Army of The Forgotten Gods'. Sounds like a great title to me. I only wish I knew what it was about, Army of the Gods! sounds awsome!

I'll take your word for it. :rolleyes:

Hanselation

Indiana Jones V - Title Generator

Attila the Professor said:
Hmm...

250px-TombOfTheGods1final.jpg

+

250px-AotD.jpg

+ "Forgotten"

= <I>Indiana Jones and the Army of the Forgotten Gods</I>?

Seems like one possible origin story for this particular rumor. Honestly, we should just come up with some sort of title generator that can keep spewing out new rumors.

A title generator!!! ;)

And that also are my thoughts exactly. (y)

kevster

paulfreeman said:

So where did you hear this "insider info" ? ;)

Col. Detritch

I know it all sounds very speculative, and it is, but we mustn't forget its George Lucas we're talking about here... post 1990 George Lucas. He'll keep milking the money tree until he's crippled and can't physically milk it anymore... and instead would get someone else to milk it for him (sorry for the crappy analogy). I think if there's money to be made and ideas to be use George will do Indy V, and if there's demand (as there undoubtedly is) Steven will do it and Harrison will do it as long as the other two are and the story isn’t beyond redemption. Have a little faith... “You must believe boy... you must... believe...” :hat:

Montana Smith

Col. Detritch said:
I know it all sounds very speculative, and it is, but we mustn't forget its George Lucas we're talking about here... post 1990 George Lucas. He'll keep milking the money tree until he's crippled and can't physically milk it anymore... and instead would get someone else to milk it for him (sorry for the crappy analogy). I think if there's money to be made and ideas to be use George will do Indy V, and if there's demand (as there undoubtedly is) Steven will do it and Harrison will do it as long as the other two are and the story isn?t beyond redemption. Have a little faith... ?You must believe boy... you must... believe...? :hat:

The wonderful thing about ROTLA (and the reason it's become a classic), is that it was an unknown quantity. TOD shunned the ROTLA formula, and in my nostalgic eyes is another classic. With TLC and KOTCS Indy is no longer an unknown quantity. George kept to an old formula that worked the first time, and I'd expect Indy V to follow the same route. It's unlikely to have that wow factor, but the current 'Lucas/Spielberg factor'. Indy won't be edgy as a character, just as Han Solo is no longer the pre-emptive killer in the cantina.

As ever, George will milk the money tree on his own terms. These days both he and Spielberg seem softer and more sensitive characters themselves. I want to see the return of Indy the anti-hero. But I can only see a more family-friendly future for him as he ages.

Col. Detritch

I think Darabont strayed from the formula in the right direction in City of the Gods and yet stayed true to Indy as a character which is why I would have loved to see it on the big screen! It was pretty spectacular IMO.

What George needs to do is fix the bridge he burnt with Darabont and let him take a crack at Indy V, or if all else fails let Steven try and get him back given their history. Because let?s face it, the man has a gift for screenwriting and he?s proven he can handle Indy. Indiana Jones V, by Frank Darabont... *sigh* (y)
:hat:

emtiem

Montana Smith said:
As ever, George will milk the money tree on his own terms. These days both he and Spielberg seem softer and more sensitive characters themselves. I want to see the return of Indy the anti-hero. But I can only see a more family-friendly future for him as he ages.

That doesn't offend me particularly; I'd juts like a bit more peril and a sense of danger in the action bits. Better laughs would be a bonus too.

Montana Smith

Col. Detritch said:
I think Darabont strayed from the formula in the right direction in City of the Gods and yet stayed true to Indy as a character which is why I would have loved to see it on the big screen! It was pretty spectacular IMO.

What George needs to do is fix the bridge he burnt with Darabont and let him take a crack at Indy V, or if all else fails let Steven try and get him back given their history. Because let?s face it, the man has a gift for screenwriting and he?s proven he can handle Indy. Indiana Jones V, by Frank Darabont... *sigh* (y)
:hat:

That sounds good. (y)

emtiem said:
That doesn't offend me particularly; I'd juts like a bit more peril and a sense of danger in the action bits. Better laughs would be a bonus too.

Yes, definitely more sophisticated humour, rather than a lot of the childish gags that dominated KOTCS.

In ROTLA I loved the moments such as Indy falling on his butt during the fight with the Mechanic (the look in his eyes says it all); or the moment he decides to shoot the Swordsman (even if that wasn't originally intentional, it certainly worked for me). I'd call those more sophisticated than throwing Indy a snake for a rope, or Mutt swinging with the monkeys.

I really like the placement of humour in ROTLA, how it emerges unexpectedly. Sometimes it verges on black comedy, which is at odds with a family friendly, softer image. I much prefer that to the endless knockabout slapstick of KOTCS, which I fear may also dominate a potential Indy V. Even in TOD the slapstick was balanced by scenes of blood, horror, and real menace.