How did Indy clear his name?

rhino

Okay, I have a question about KOTCS. Indy gets more or less gets accused of aiding the Russians. He is suspended from teaching and basically is black listed as a person of interest for communist ties.
Hwo on Earth, was his name cleared? It still would be his word against the governements. Marion, Mutt, and the rest aren't going to be that much help. He brought back no artifact (like the Ark) in KOTCS.
He found the lost city and then it was gone. How did he prove his story?

Indy's brother

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Who's to say that he did?

Good call, Lonsome. I actually took for granted (like rhino) that everything was was to be assumed honky-dory for Dr. Jones at the end of the movie...even though he did help the Russians to seek and find the "Interdimensional Remains" at the warehouse. Another layer has been peeled back from this onion.

"Behold at last I saw in tears."

rhino

I can sort of see your point. However, he is awarded "Assistant Dean" of the university. Sure, I suppose the university could have just turned a blind eye to the government's witch hunt. However, this is the same university that quickly suspended Indy at the first onset of the witch hunt at the beginning. It just seems to me that his name must have been cleared. But how?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In City of the Gods, Osgood Turner of the State Department locates Indy in the jungle and survives to the end. In Koepp's script, Indy mutters, "Akator. It would be the find of a lifetime. Create a reputation no politician could touch."

I'm guessing Indy led authorities to the camp, Roswell remains, jungle chase wreckage, etc.

Insomniac

I swear at the end of the film there are to cops outside the chapel maybe tis will push a Indy 5 can anyone say Crystal Skull Part 2!

Where Indy goes to the future with Marion, Einstein and his dog named brown to save mutt from screwing up his life forever.

(Back to the future Part 2)

tambourineman

Its like every action movie. They always have the hero kill the villains (along with a hell of a lot of property damage) and show the hero living happily ever after without any legal ramifications or anything, we're just left to assume that somehow the authorities worked out exactly what happened.

We're just meant to assume that the authorities knew Indy was forced to work for Spalko against his will. And he had all the others to back him up.

Uki

It's been a while since I read it, but does the novelization mention anything about this?

Morning Bell

Uki said:
It's been a while since I read it, but does the novelization mention anything about this?

I don't remember the novelization mentioning much about it. I just assumed that Indy was given credit for disposing of Spalko and her army and was therefore allowed to teach again. It's just one of those answers that's left ambiguous.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I hope the novel offered something. I don't mind its exclusion from the movie, since Indy epilogues have to be short. It's like the final cut of War of the Worlds, where there was no need for Tom Cruise to say
Our germs. Maybe infection. Stuff we're immune to, that our bodies fight off every day. After everything we fought 'em with, they died from the air we breathe and the water we drink. All the things we need to live... that's what killed them.

Like any man with power and connections, by pulling strings and calling in favors.

Do you know how many medals this son-of-a-***** won?

InVader

If the authorities talked with Mutt for just a couple minutes i'm sure it would be quite apparent that he wouldn't have left his Bike back at the cemetery under any other circumstances.
:gun:

WilliamBoyd8

By 1957 Senator McCarthy was dead and the early 1950's red scares were over.

Indy got his job back because he was now a married man with a wife to support.

:)

dr.jones1986

well the FBI knew that Spalko and her team were after artifacts with psychic abilities. After Indy saved Ox I would think Ox could have vouched for Indy. As long Ox could proove that he was doing acadmeic reserach upon being captured by the Soviets, he could show Indy rescued him. Im sure Ox's university would have paperwork for a professor on an acadamic assignment.

DocWhiskey

Completely different case, but Indy is always supposed to be in the same adventure gear, but if he survived a nuclear explosion and was scrubbed down , wouldn't his gear be considered radioactive and be destroyed? You mean to tell me the fedora from Area 51 is the same as in Akator? Hmmmm...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe Indy's just got a closet full of khaki shirts, pants, leather jackets and fedoras both brown and grey? Kind of like Batman in the old TV series has a spare suit in the Batmobile? :p It would explain why the hat has been so good to not lose it's shape (alright, alright each film had a different hat but you get idea).

Jokes aside, yeah, I did think about that when I saw the film.

And the clearing his name thing did cross my mind watching the film the first time as well. I guess it's kind of like how Indy and Marion got off the island in Raiders though the novel at least gives you a hint. The KOTCS novel doesn't really give you much in terms of clearing his name. We can only guess. Ox and Marion would be good enough as long as they don't give a strange account of aliens to the government. But then again, if the feds did look at Indy's past history particularly the Ark, maybe that would be a help stacked with Marion's and Ox's (even Mutt's) accounts. Indy being somewhat indirectly in service of the government as in saving a "weapon" from the hands of Soviets, would certainly be enough to repay the favour by giving him his job and a promotion to him as long as he kept quiet about it. Perhaps he may of even been forced to retire under the conditions.

Wilhelm

Maybe they go back to the jungle camp and bring back the Roswell alien for the warehouse. That would clean part of his reputation along with Oxley's rescue.