Indiana Jones and the Fire of the Phoenix

Endiaynnajowhns

Recently, we have heard that George Lucas is considering hanging up the Indy hat for good. Because, in his words, there is no inspiration for a new Indiana Jones story, there is no 'MacGuffin'.

And let's face it, Harrison is a relic himself. We would all enjoy seeing him swing from his whip over a canyon one last time, but we would have trouble really believing it. But, I say...Harrison is NOT done as Indy. And here's why:

What we need is Indiana Jones dead. At least, nearly there. We need a bearded, scraggly, bloodied, and broken Jones - an old man nearly at his end. What we need is to amp up the danger for Harrison. We need him to sacrifice his body and mind to bring Indiana closer to the edge than we've ever seen him. A 'serious' Indiana Jones.

Call it a meditation on Indy's overall adventuresome character, or a 'Taken' type thriller, but we need Indy meaner than ever, not as a cuddly old codger. We need him left for dead on a mountain top, crucified on a cross in the desert, trapped on a piece of drift wood in the middle of the Pacific, we need him more lost than ever, more confused, maybe even psychotic. But we need him to embrace his age, and show us his refusal to give up just yet, to Not knock on Heaven's door. Harrison Ford needs to growl one last time.

For this to all happen, serious effort must be made by movie makers to consider that the Indiana Jones symbol is an ever evolving logic. The magic from the first movie will never be remade. The stature of The Last Crusade will never be reached again. But, there are many different adjectives of power and awesomeness, and many levels of perspective yet imagined with this hero. We need a film where the maker has forgotten the past movies and who sees the characters and times of Indiana Jones as something like a child might see: Pure, Untainted, Unassuming, and Fearless.

Let it be done. And those who pass through the great seal of Indiana Jones and seek to done his armor, remember, "You must choose. But choose wisely, for as the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you." Which Indiana will you choose to be?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

232323232%7Ffp%3B47%3Enu%3D3246%3E9%3C3%3E%3A8%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3553436%3B%3B8325nu0mrj

Yes, "daughter". It wouldn't have the same effect if it was Mutt who was taken.