Indy 5 news 2017

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Pale Horse said:
Oh, Stevie boy, you're one in a million, yes you are!
I hope he doesn't do a Smaller film like the Post first before Indy 5, I just want him to start Directing Indy 5!

By the Way have you guys seen The Post? If you haven't you are doing a disservice to your self not seeing It, I saw It last Wednesday It Is a great film that had to be told In this hot political Times... :whip:

IndyForever

Honestly after seeing Harrison so old & fragile looking in Blade Runner 2049 Indy 5 is not going to be well received unless Spielberg can produce a miracle movie out of nowhere. Father time & 4K UHD cinematography has caught up with Harrison in a really big way these last few years. And I am someone who for many years really wanted Harrison to do 1 final Indiana Jones despite many other people here saying he was too old. Well guess what after the disaster of BR2049 Harrison is way too old its not just his minor part he looked & sounded like the bored Harrison from a few years ago who did not give a **** about the movie just showed up for a paycheck & forever ruined the Deckard character with a weak & uncalled resolution which added nothing but took away from the original movie ending.

KOTCS to me was a great Indy movie not the best nor the worst but pretty good considering how long it took & how many obstacles it faced.

Now Lucas is not directly involved & not bank rolling it either Spielberg has to answer to Disney they are not going to let him have $250m & a free hand at whatever he wants to do so he has to work around the studio system which means Disney get to pick actors, force pathetic PC story choices, reboot family friendly global box office items for teens & families etc etc. John Williams last few Star Wars scores have been really weak as well & Indy movies lean a lot on his usually fantastic score.

Indy 5 has so much going against it right now its going to take an incredible effort to actually produce something even half watchable. The kindest thing is to cancel it rather than proceed with something which will most likely be the last Harrison Ford Indy performance. Because of Spielberg's clout is the main reason Harrison is still Indy its not like Disney actually want him around as a Ford Indy 6 is highly unlikely & we already know he is not going to die onscreen either.

Last Crusade had a fantastic ending. KOTCS had a passable ending.

Indy 5 how is it going to end? Well its impossible it can ever top Last Crusade or Raiders or even Temple Of Doom so that means its most likely going to be a disappointment & leave fans wanting more which is most likely never going to happen with Harrison & Steven.

Let it go Indiana :hat:

seasider

IndyForever said:
Now Lucas is not directly involved & not bank rolling it either Spielberg has to answer to Disney they are not going to let him have $250m & a free hand at whatever he wants to do so he has to work around the studio system which means Disney get to pick actors, force pathetic PC story choices, reboot family friendly global box office items for teens & families etc etc. John Williams last few Star Wars scores have been really weak as well & Indy movies lean a lot on his usually fantastic score.

Spielberg didn't have free reign with Lucas either. If he did, he would've done the movie based on Frank Darabont's script and not have a movie about aliens and Indy climbing into a fridge. Spielberg has spent his whole career dealing with studio heads and in this case he'll be mainly dealing with his former producing partner, Kathleen Kennedy. I don't see this being a huge problem for Spielberg.

I haven't seen the new Blade Runner yet so I can't speak to Ford's appearance and performance but the Dekkard character was never one Ford was really passionate about. This is not the case with Indiana Jones. Indy is by far among his favorite roles to play. If you watch any video clip of people asking him if he wants to do another Indiana Jones. His face always lights up and he immediately says yes.

Whether we get a good Indiana Jones movie or not in 2020, one thing I'm not worried about is Harrison Ford mailing it in for Indy 5.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

IndyForever said:
Honestly after seeing Harrison so old & fragile looking in Blade Runner 2049 Indy 5 is not going to be well received unless Spielberg can produce a miracle movie out of nowhere. Father time & 4K UHD cinematography has caught up with Harrison in a really big way these last few years. And I am someone who for many years really wanted Harrison to do 1 final Indiana Jones despite many other people here saying he was too old. Well guess what after the disaster of BR2049 Harrison is way too old its not just his minor part he looked & sounded like the bored Harrison from a few years ago who did not give a **** about the movie just showed up for a paycheck & forever ruined the Deckard character with a weak & uncalled resolution which added nothing but took away from the original movie ending.

KOTCS to me was a great Indy movie not the best nor the worst but pretty good considering how long it took & how many obstacles it faced.

Indy 5 has so much going against it right now its going to take an incredible effort to actually produce something even half watchable. The kindest thing is to cancel it rather than proceed with something which will most likely be the last Harrison Ford Indy performance. Because of Spielberg's clout is the main reason Harrison is still Indy its not like Disney actually want him around as a Ford Indy 6 is highly unlikely & we already know he is not going to die onscreen either.

Last Crusade had a fantastic ending. KOTCS had a passable ending.

Indy 5 how is it going to end? Well its impossible it can ever top Last Crusade or Raiders or even Temple Of Doom so that means its most likely going to be a disappointment & leave fans wanting more which is most likely never going to happen with Harrison & Steven.

Let it go Indiana :hat:
I thought Blade Runner 2049 was really good way better then the original Harrison was Great In It he was also great In TFA Harrison Is like a fine wine he gets better with age, I am a member of the Force.net Message Board most of us over there in the JC forum love Blade Runner 2049 and loved Harrison in that and TFA! he was also really good in Enders Game!

DARTH ZOIDBERG

seasider said:
Spielberg didn't have free reign with Lucas either. If he did, he would've done the movie based on Frank Darabont's script and not have a movie about aliens and Indy climbing into a fridge. Spielberg has spent his whole career dealing with studio heads and in this case he'll be mainly dealing with his former producing partner, Kathleen Kennedy. I don't see this being a huge problem for Spielberg.

I haven't seen the new Blade Runner yet so I can't speak to Ford's appearance and performance but the Dekkard character was never one Ford was really passionate about. This is not the case with Indiana Jones. Indy is by far among his favorite roles to play. If you watch any video clip of people asking him if he wants to do another Indiana Jones. His face always lights up and he immediately says yes.

Whether we get a good Indiana Jones movie or not in 2020, one thing I'm not worried about is Harrison Ford mailing it in for Indy 5.
I think Its really funny back in the day having my dad go in to work Early he worked for the FDA retired now but he would go Into his FDA Office really early to print the Darabont script, The funny thing being Darabont script leaked on WikiLeaks and my dad printed a WikiLeaks document at his FDA Office:D Now all that being said Darabonts script was not better then David Koepp's Script I actually thought Darabonts script was really cheesy in a bad way It almost read like a kid wrote it. May be I am missing something. I still have the Darabont script in a binder in my bookshelf In my room. I keep it around just for laughs. and who knows I might never get a chance to print it out again so no way in hell am I getting rid of it.

IndyForever

seasider said:
Spielberg didn't have free reign with Lucas either.

Spielberg effectively had an unlimited budget with Lucas as he was paying for everything & Lucas, Spielberg & Ford all took no salary upfront just all the profits on the backend so the budget allowed them to spend $185M on KOTCS which was a massive budget in 2008 even with them paying ILM base cost as Lucas still owned them as well. Disney are different they own the franchise so budgets have to be set & kept to. The last Spielberg directed hit was KOTCS but apart from that his directing track record is very weak since 2008 onwards most of his films are commercial failures as they are mainly vanity projects.

Ford will not phone Indy in but his age, voice, physical appearance & inability to run properly anymore will all be impossible to hide in 4K UHD so unless someone else does all the stunts or they use good body doubles this cannot be the Indy we used to know stunts wise & Indy movies have a lot of stunts.

I hope I am wrong but Indy 5 has so much stacked against it right now I still think better to cancel. I can accept Ford is simply not credible anymore as KOTCS was really straining that aspect & recently Ford has aged a lot onscreen.

Udvarnoky

Crystal Skull looks way cheaper than its predecessors despite its larger budget, so I'm really not too concerned if Indy 5 gets more modest financing.

Face_Melt

IndyForever said:
Spielberg effectively had an unlimited budget with Lucas as he was paying for everything & Lucas, Spielberg & Ford all took no salary upfront just all the profits on the backend so the budget allowed them to spend $185M on KOTCS which was a massive budget in 2008 even with them paying ILM base cost as Lucas still owned them as well. Disney are different they own the franchise so budgets have to be set & kept to. The last Spielberg directed hit was KOTCS but apart from that his directing track record is very weak since 2008 onwards most of his films are commercial failures as they are mainly vanity projects.

Ford will not phone Indy in but his age, voice, physical appearance & inability to run properly anymore will all be impossible to hide in 4K UHD so unless someone else does all the stunts or they use good body doubles this cannot be the Indy we used to know stunts wise & Indy movies have a lot of stunts.

I hope I am wrong but Indy 5 has so much stacked against it right now I still think better to cancel. I can accept Ford is simply not credible anymore as KOTCS was really straining that aspect & recently Ford has aged a lot onscreen.

You act like none of the other Indy movies are 4K UHD.

Harrison has ran, jumped and punched without any issues his last two films. What films did you see?

IndyBuff

Ford was phenomenal in Blade Runner 2049. It's not his enthusiasm that has people worried, it's his age and whether or not a nearly 80 year old man can play an action character. An aged Indy can work but with every year it's going to get tougher and tougher. They should have done one soon after KOTCS and gotten it out there while the iron was hot.

Randy_Flagg

The more I think about it, the less concerned I am with whether or not he can physically do the action (stunt men and CGI can help a lot), and the more I'm more concerned about his personality as an older guy.

In KOTCS, we already saw a drastically different Indy. Instead of being the guy chopping a rope bridge in half, he was the guy yelling, "Somebody could get hurt!" and "This is intolerable!" Instead of the cool ladies' man we knew from the earlier films, he was an old man who clumsily stumbled over things. And, frankly, he just seemed like he wasn't all that into the adventure; he was merely a passenger, along for the ride.
Add another 10 years to that, and is it a character we really want to watch? Indy was popular because we wanted to BE him. As kids, we'd climb around on things, pretending we were Indy. Will kids today want to pretend that they're a 75-80 year old man who yells, "This is intolerable!"? I doubt it.
That's why I really think recasting is the way to go. Make Indy back into the younger "devil-may-care" guy we all loved back in the 80s, and set the movies back in the 1920s-1940s, not the 1970s.

Lao_Che

Randy_Flagg said:
Instead of being the guy chopping a rope bridge in half, he was the guy yelling, "Somebody could get hurt!" and "This is intolerable!"

That was deliberate positioning of Indy in the Connery role opposite Mutt because they're father and son though.

I'm guessing Disney will want to show they can do Indy like Force Awakens was for Star Wars. Plus if Ford is carrying the film as Indy, they might want to prove a point with regards to his age.

IndyForever

Face_Palm said:
You act like none of the other Indy movies are 4K UHD.

Harrison has ran, jumped and punched without any issues his last two films. What films did you see?
BR2049 & TFA if you look closely Ford clearly struggles to run now due to his age & leg injury. Its a fact of life. Sure they can use CG stunt doubles but Ford also comes across as a grumpy old man because he is one. Unless Indy 5 is an incredible story full of amazing action & a wonderful cinematic adventure why bother making it when the lead actor is clearly beyond the edge of credibility in the role due to father time.

I just hope they do not push it too far as there are many sequels where they should have called it quits years ago.

Indy 5 is only being made because Spielberg decided he wants to do it & try to make up for KOTCS blowback but many fans liked KOTCS I hope they do not try to make this a forced PC SJW Indy as that will like The Last Jedi not be fan popular!

Randy_Flagg

IndyForever said:
Indy 5 is only being made because Spielberg decided he wants to do it & try to make up for KOTCS blowback but many fans liked KOTCS I hope they do not try to make this a forced PC SJW Indy as that will like The Last Jedi not be fan popular!

I really didn't get a SJW vibe from TLJ.

But KOTCS did feel pretty PC compared to previous Indy movies. Indy never shoots anyone in it, and to counterbalance the Russians as villains, we get Mac proclaiming, "What can I say? I'm a capitalist." I'd like to see Indy go back to being the more ruthless guy we saw in the first three Indy films, and to have villains we can genuinely hate/fear.

Face_Melt

IndyForever said:
BR2049 & TFA if you look closely Ford clearly struggles to run now due to his age & leg injury. Its a fact of life. Sure they can use CG stunt doubles but Ford also comes across as a grumpy old man because he is one. Unless Indy 5 is an incredible story full of amazing action & a wonderful cinematic adventure why bother making it when the lead actor is clearly beyond the edge of credibility in the role due to father time.

I just hope they do not push it too far as there are many sequels where they should have called it quits years ago.

Ford was recovering from his injury during filming of TFA. As for Blade Runner 2049 - that?s what the character was dealing with. They had to showcase his age. Behind the scenes shows Ford walking around just fine and full of energy unlike the character. You are confusing the character with the actor.

Lambonius

Blade Runner 2049 was excellent, as was Ford's performance in it, and the fact that they didn't overuse him. You're not going to find a lot of agreement that Ford brought that movie down.

That said, I want to see a Ford framing narrative for a younger actor taking on the role of a younger Indy in his prime. It's the best option.

Udvarnoky

Lambonius said:
That said, I want to see a Ford framing narrative for a younger actor taking on the role of a younger Indy in his prime. It's the best option.

Seems to me the best option is the one where Ford gets maximum screentime in what will in all likelihood be his last performance as Indy. Why would it be ideal for him to be anything less than center stage?

JasonMa

Udvarnoky said:
Seems to me the best option is the one where Ford gets maximum screentime in what will in all likelihood be his last performance as Indy. Why would it be ideal for him to be anything less than center stage?
I don't mind that people disagree on Ford's ability to carry the movie. Disagreements are what make internet forums run. Posts like this though I find ridiculous. If you've been reading the thread you know the answer to your question, you're just trying to make your case by pushing the argument onto the other person.

Lao_Che

IndyForever said:

Yeah if only fans contributed to TLJ's $1 billion.

Udvarnoky

JasonMa said:
I don't mind that people disagree on Ford's ability to carry the movie. Disagreements are what make internet forums run. Posts like this though I find ridiculous. If you've been reading the thread you know the answer to your question, you're just trying to make your case by pushing the argument onto the other person.

Remind me, then, of what the answer to my question is, since I apparently asked it rhetorically.