Indy IV to be released in 2008

Captain Katanga

roundshort

temple of john said:
I'm hoping thats not true but it probably is. Lucas had recently said that he believes that filming won't start until next year and usually these films are released in the early summer (End of May, early June). Sounds right. I'm actually more excited about the game at this point.

I don't play video games, and I agee with you temp! I might have to get me one of those new fangled game boxes!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
FANTASTIC news! This is a major wheel turning. Lucasfilm can rake in as much from licensing as it does from tickets. Licensees and retailers demand a timetable, sort of like we do, except for them it's on paper.

I was worried a fall production would be rushed like War of the Worlds. Instead, they have time to do it right. Here's to 2 years of sweet anticipation! :D

Abe Vayoda

HOW THE #### DOES IT MAKE SENSE FOR SPEILBERG TO PUT OFF INDY IV SO HE CAN MAKE SOME ###### LITTLE REALITY SHOW???????

I call shenanigans.

I see this as more bad news.... hope the game is good anyway.

roundshort

Abe Vayoda said:
HOW THE #### DOES IT MAKE SENSE FOR SPEILBERG TO PUT OFF INDY IV SO HE CAN MAKE SOME ###### LITTLE REALITY SHOW???????

I call shenanigans.

I see this as more bad news.... hope the game is good anyway.

Abe, I agree! Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock . . .Come on boys the clock is ticking!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Remember this news from April 3?
"[Frank] Marshall said the film would likely go into production early next year."

Why is everyone so surprised?

roundshort

No one is surprised, but we go from news that this is the next movie to be made, on top of the list, to well we have to do this . . .

It seems to keep getting tabled time and time again.

IndyBuff

I'm glad release dates are being talked about, although 2008 is too far away for my tastes. Nevertheless, I'm still excited about the film and I can't wait for the new game.:whip:

Ray Delark

We have the ultimate adventure trilogy already

But of course, ever since Raiders we've wanted more...For ultimate Indy fans, the wait is like really being on a out of control mine cart in the Temple of Doom, with the unknown up ahead. This is adventure. We have to try and remember to enjoy this process. It's certain we have the promise that there will be more. I don't think we had these kind of expectations of Raiders, because we didn't know what we were waiting for, if we knew we were even waiting. I hope we're all alive and well when IV is released. Indy IV will be well worth the wait. Enjoy this adventure. :whip:

Teke

Given the circumstances, I think this movie won´t be out, at least, until 2009 (IF IT COMES!).
I can´t see a 2008 release date if in 2009 we will have the 20th anniversary of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Uncle Lucas will keep this in mind to make some extra money, with a new DVD box collection, the release/DVD of the new movie, etc, etc...

So, I was hoping the movie was comming next year, but it appears that is delayed again, again, and again...

I said this with all the optimism, because, sincerely, I personally thinks that after all of this, and after THIS RECENT NEW, this movie is not gonna happen. :mad:

Cammy

That's good news, but 2008 is sure a long way away. I don't mind as long as they make a good movie that'll be well worth the wait!

IndyBuff

Robert Stephens said:
IJ4 will be in theaters in mid summer (July), 2007.

Robert

I hope you're right, although we were told that it would be out this summer and unfortunately nothing turned up.:(

torao

Moderator Emeritus
:) I agree with the fact that the delay may seem strikingly familiar to the delays we experienced last year, the year before last year, the year before the year before the last year.....

actually though, i don't think i expected the release date to be any closer than summer of 08.

:rolleyes: the headline and news words on theindyexperience had me quite upset. how can you call this a "PUSH BACK" if it was clear, from the beginning that the earliest start date for shooting will be end of this year, beginning of next year. I don't think it was ever a sure thing that they would have the film ready (it feels weird to even type these words) within those month for a summer 07 release.
another thing i don't like in their version of the news story is the fact that they talk about slow news and slowly proceeding work on the script and film in the same sentence as one thing would be subsequential to the other.
how do we know that [insert name here] (maybe still koepp, probably some other script doctors... but hopefully someone else than george lucas) is having brilliant ideas for lines of dialoge right as podolski is shooting germany's third goal against ecuador?
maybe right now spielberg is already making first decisions about whom to cast? maybe, he's not. maybe, the fact that there's still six months planned for pre production is hinting on deeper problems than just a logisticly exhaustive production. maybe (supposedly) this is bull****. maybe it's just because of pure private time management of the three beards. maybe not.
"maybe" the fact that we don't know anything about what's going on right now doesn't mean that nothing's going on.

;) I'm now at a point where, for me, if it(the production/shooting)'s not gonna happen next year, then...it never will.
But again...as some point of comparison i would really appreciate to learn more about the schedules of the production of the previous three.... :confused: especially as, how george lucas explains on the bonus material dvd interview, it took them "a looong time" to develope the story for last crusade. well...i really love last crusade....saw no negative side effect of a long developing process there. but how long did it really take them to develope that?

in the end, i consider this news as rather reaffirming our believe that "we're closer now than we've ever been"....instead of a disappointment.

Last edited:

torao

Moderator Emeritus
IndyBuff said:
I hope you're right, although we were told that it would be out this summer and unfortunately nothing turned up.:(

that comparison doesn't really count as we were also told that shooting would start in 2002, 2004 and 2005 and probably every other year since 1996 or 97.
just recently i started roaring while watching an old (early 21st century) talk show excerpt with harrison ford, in which he said something like "we're probably gonna start shooting next year." the laughter eventually turned into tears.
not really of course.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Someone from New York want adventure? Borrow a pass and check out the Lucasfilm booth. It's right by a service ramp, stairs and an elevator. I'm not suggesting anything...

Licensing International 2006
Jacob Javits Convention Center
655 West 34th Street at 11th Avenue, NYC
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21 9:00AM - 5:00PM
THURSDAY, JUNE 22 9:00AM - 4:00PM
Lucasfilm Ltd. - Booth #3081
http://www.licensingshow.com/licensingshow/v42/floorplan/floorplan.cvn?b=2910&exbID=2297

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know what to believe. I think they'll do a fourth film, coz it would do well, and the cast and crew from the previous films want to do it, but the media screws up heaps of things, so the truth is out there, just not in the media. It'll be 2007 or 2008, or it won't happen. Besides, the Indy movies are easier and quicker to make than SW because there isn't as much special effects.

IndyBuff

The reason this is so frustrating is because we've been told by so many different people different stories and it's sometimes nearly impossible to separate the fact from fiction. People are constantly popping up saying "It's on hold" or "Filming will begin this year" or "It will probably happen soon." Who can you believe or trust when everybody seems to have different information?

This is only made harder due to the fact that Spielberg and Lucas aren't making any official annoucements. They could clear up a lot of confusion and chaos by simply giving us real updates instead of vague quotes every couple of months.

I don't mind waiting if the end result will be great. It's the fact that we're waiting while nothing is happening. No filming. No casting. No announcements. Nothing. It's baffling.

Captain Katanga

IndyBuff said:
It's the fact that we're waiting while nothing is happening. No filming. No casting. No announcements. Nothing. It's baffling.

The studio (Paramount/LucasFilm) will do a official announcement by the end of the year or by early next year, no doubt. If you think about it, the only REAL information that's been given is by Lucas, Spielberg or Ford and others on talk shows, small quotes from articles etc.. An official announcement from a studio looks something like this.