History Channel: Indiana Jones and the Ultimate Quest

Michael24

Yeah, The Ultimate Quest was a lot better (and different) from what I was expecting. I'd like to record it next time it airs, but my reception is always shaky. I wonder if they'll have it for sale on DVD on their website soon? I've already got enough Modern Marvels episodes to order, so what's one more thing? LOL!

acsgrlie

I unfortunately taped the Scifi crap since my cable couldn't get the History channel. According to the channel's website, it airs again on Sunday the 25th.

Michael24

Yeah, I just looked. I saw it scheduled for May 25 @ 8PM, May 26 @ 12AM, and May 31 @ 5PM. All Pacific times.

Our TV downstairs has slightly better reception, so I'll try to record it on that one since History's store doesn't have a DVD available yet.

Adamwankenobi

I tried watching it, but I hate documentaries that intercut discussion with film clips. It just takes everyone's from the topic at hand, IMO.

That's why the YIJC documentaries are so cool, because they (with the exception of one) don't use Indy clips. They illustate their point using pure discussion, aided by footage of real events as a visual aid, with a little Young Indy music thrown in to evoke certain moods. :)

China Jim

Watched the rebroadcast of the crystal skull mystery on Sci-Fi

Well lets see I waisted two hours of my time watching a show that was so full of nonsense and blathering blatherskites that I would have had more fun watching paint dry. It was not a scientific attempt to find any factual historical references to a actual crystal skulls but a bunch of new age nonsense. I was shocked to see the leader of the group I belong to on screen preaching about the skulls and I speak of one David Hatcher Childress I have read the mans works and i respect his research. But the other folks were just so much hokum. Richard Hougland looking like a grey haired Wolfman still preaching about the face on mars I would tell him Richard you are flogging a dead horse here bubba I have heard him on coast to coast AM and hes into so much the government is hiding this and that mind set gets old after a while. Every time Sci Fi attempts one of these special they make a complete bollucks of it they are more into sensationalism than true science. I want to see the rebroadcast of the History Channel special I hope before the movie comes out.I know this is a Indy site but remember the quote I like to use "Archaeology is the search for facts not truths, forget about digging up half the world and X never marks the spot. If you want the truth Dr Tyrells philosophie class is down the hall" and as a nosey- historian I base my studies on that ideal. The show was a complete joke :whip: :gun: (n)

Legendary Times

doesitmatter said:
It was really good. Way better than the crappy Mystery of the Crystal Skulls on the Sci Fi channel.

I concur. The Sci-Fi special was waaaaaay too alarmist. VERY gloom-and-doom, dwelling on the imminent apocalypse of 2012, which is SUCH hogwash!

China Jim

I beg to disagree

legendary,
I do beg to disagree with you concerning the Mitchell-Hedges skull The most up to date info which is in a recent publication of the AIA magazine does state that the skull is a fake albeit a good one but a fake none the less I also recommend you check out About.com Archeo site. the writer of the page is a well respected person and has many good links to check out.

Legendary Times

China Jim said:
The most up to date info which is in a recent publication of the AIA magazine does state that the skull is a fake albeit a good one but a fake none the less I also recommend you check out About.com Archeo site. the writer of the page is a well respected person.

Incorrect. Respectfully, the AIA does not have the most up-to-date info about the skull. Understand this: the AIA is desperately trying to maintain the status quo. They know that their viewpoint is being challenged and they're doing everything in their power to debunk what is really going on in this field. Arguing against that merely states that you haven't moved a finger researching this topic yourself and simply accepting what the AIA has served you on a silver platter in their glossy magazine.

We are a strange society. The moment people in "authoritative" positions make a statement, the general masses accept it unquestioningly.

What frightens me to death is that you actually trust them that THEY will tell YOU the truth! Do YOU really think that they will volunteer the truth to the public? THEIR entire research branch is at stake!

What the heck happened to us as a society? Have all of us really become lemmings? It sure looks like it! Haven't you ever seen the movie V For Vendetta? You probably also think that this movie is great entertainment and merely based in fantasy.

Time you wake up kid and start thinking for yourself. Don't believe everything they tell you, even if it is in the pages of a "reputable" publication. Look at everything with a grain of salt, including the Ancient Astronaut Theory. Yup, there, I said it. Including the Ancient Astronaut Theory. And I publish a research journal dedicated to the Ancient Astronaut Theory!

Question everything. Everything. Do your own research.

And:

"To become a good archaeologist, you got to get out of the libraries!" :hat:

sandiegojones

The Mitchell-Hedges was not proven fake exactly, it was just indicated that the microscopic markings were a little too perfect so it is assumed to have been made sometime recently given the likelihood that modern tools may have been used.

It cannot be denied that just in appearance this skull differs greatly from the others in terms of craftsmanship and the quality of the quartz.

I DO NOT believe it is alien, but who knows how it was made exactly.

The thing about Meso-American civilization that fascinates me is that some of their origins kind of defy what we seem to know of history.

Mans origins can be traced to northern Africa. The earliest great civilizations flourished in this region (such as the Egyptians and Babylonians). Civilization later spread to Europe and Asia, but somehow the Incas and Mayans built numerous cities and hundreds of pyramids in dense jungles and mountain terrain in the same time period. I get that they could have likely traveled across the Bering Strait to eventually get to Central America but how then do their cultures still predate some of those in Asia and North America? If life began in Africa and civilization spread slowly through the middle east and Europe how then did these peoples build similar cities and pyramids at the same time of the Egyptians without any knowledge of their culture? Also, they built these cities using only rock (no metal tools) and developed irrigation and aqueduct systems that rival those built in Rome many years later. They also had advanced math and a calendar similar to what we use today. They even had superior knowledge of astronomy and built observatories, why? Sure, faming is most likely answer, but it's still fairly advanced for people who did not use advanced tools other than river rocks.

I do find it odd that archaeologists focus so much more on "biblical" sites than they do these ancient cities. To me, these civilizations are far more advanced and even contradict the bible as there is no mention of their existence. How is that possible?

It is known that many dozens or even hundreds of cities exist in the jungle but many are so overgrown with vegetation that they cannot be found with limited number of archaeologists devoted to this research. The lack of research seems to make the ancient astronaut theory somewhat plausible since there are so many unanswered questions. Why did these tribes bind heads to look like Gods? Why did they think the Gods looked this way?

Even without the UFO and Crystal Skull connection I feel more research should be done to highlight the greatness of these Central and South American peoples.

I think it was a good choice for an Indy film maybe it will draw some attention.

Last edited:

DetectiveFork

I enjoyed the late showing of The Ultimate Quest that aired a few nights ago, although I fell asleep for a bit and missed the part about the Crystal Skulls. :eek:

The part of this special that caught me the most off-guard was the guy who claimed he found the Holy Grail. I'm not sure if he was making that all up, but it was surely a great story. Does anyone remember his name? I want to read more about him and his supposed discovery.

robweiner8

DetectiveFork said:
I enjoyed the late showing of The Ultimate Quest that aired a few nights ago, although I fell asleep for a bit and missed the part about the Crystal Skulls. :eek:

The part of this special that caught me the most off-guard was the guy who claimed he found the Holy Grail. I'm not sure if he was making that all up, but it was surely a great story. Does anyone remember his name? I want to read more about him and his supposed discovery.
Graham Phillips. Interesting dude, not so sure about him though

indyclone25

the "indiana jones and the ultimate quest" will be airing tonight at 9pm central time on the history international channel , so check it out if you haven't seen it yet . its a very well done show.

indyclone25 said:
the "indiana jones and the ultimate quest" will be airing tonight at 9pm central time on the history international channel , so check it out if you haven't seen it yet . its a very well done show.
Has to be the best Indiana Jones special, (excluding Lucasfilm projects) made.

Gabeed

Legendary Times said:
We are a strange society. The moment people in "authoritative" positions make a statement, the general masses accept it unquestioningly.

What frightens me to death is that you actually trust them that THEY will tell YOU the truth! Do YOU really think that they will volunteer the truth to the public? THEIR entire research branch is at stake!

What the heck happened to us as a society? Have all of us really become lemmings? It sure looks like it! Haven't you ever seen the movie V For Vendetta? You probably also think that this movie is great entertainment and merely based in fantasy.

Really? You're comparing the AIA to the oppressive, Nazi-like baddies from a movie? I mean, I can see that you may see them that way from your point of view, but they probably see you and the other supporters of the, uh, Classic Ancient Astronaut Theory as a bunch of wackos who pick and choose "mysterious" sites and artifacts throughout, and conclude an extraterrestrial influence . . .effectively taking a sledgehammer to Ockham's razor. I can imagine the mutual animosity. It just seems a little trite to compare them to a totalitarian government. Kinda like showing yourself dressed up like Indiana Jones for a 30 second montage beginning of your youtube videos, to be followed with claims that the Nazca lines were runways built for extraterrestrials and whatnot without any in-depth look at why the mainstream theories pointing to the identification of aquifers and the like are so woefully inadequate. I would think of some semblance of scholarly gravitas and objective thought would be more convincing, but maybe it would bring in less views. ;)

Look, I agree that often we as a populace accept unsubstantiated claims too swiftly. The big example that comes to mind for me is the Bosnian pyramid debacle from a couple years back. Because it hit the big media networks before I had heard anything about it, I myself was initially intrigued by the story and did not question its' validity until the debunking scientists arrived.

But with all due respect, the ball is in your court. There's the majority of the archaeological community . . . and then there's the pseudoarchaeologists--the Ancient Astronaut Theory guys, the Atlantis guys, the dudes who think the lost tribe of Israel came to prehistoric Missouri and became the Mandan Indians, and so on. You may not like that label or the fact that everyone outside the mainstream is lumped together under such a label, but it's the label you have. And with such a label, you need to come up with a gigantic amount of evidence more than the "Pacal the Astronaut" sarcophagus lid and other similarly vague clues to get any credence from the educated community. I acknowledge the idea to question everything you read and hear, but I'd like to add that some things need to be questioned a lot more than others, and I think what is generally accepted to be "pseudoarchaeology" falls into the "needs to be questioned a lot more" category.

I can't possibly imagine that this rant/post will change your worldview nor shake your belief in any way, but I thought I'd regurgitate out my "sleep-deprived, recent college grad" opinion anyway. Utterly switching gears (and tone, for that matter), I listen/fall asleep to Coast to Coast AM just about every night and find it totally awesome that you've been on there.