Television casting seeks Indy fans

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Passing on an email from ABC about their new Indy-esque show.
NOW CASTING "EXPEDITION IMPOSSIBLE" -- A NEW SHOW FROM THE EXECUTIVEPRODUCER OF "SURVIVOR", MARK BURNETT

Expedition Impossible -- The next evolution of high adventure and human drama is a new global competition series from Executive Producer Mark Burnett.
The series will feature teams of ordinary people doing the extraordinary as
they compete in the biggest adventure of their lives. In Expedition Impossible, teams of three will solve problems while racing across deserts, over mountains and through rivers. Each week a new stage of the expedition will be revealed. After ten stunning legs of competition, one team will cross the finish line first to claim victory.
We are currently on a nation-wide search looking for dynamic, competitive, and energetic teams of three (3) people for Expedition Impossible. Don't spend the month of April at your boring job. Spend it on the experience of a lifetime!

You MUST be at least 18 years old, a legal US resident and have a US passport valid through the end of 2011 to participate. To apply, email Meredith at MRBcasting@gmail.com. Your email must include the following:
• Name, age, location and contact info for all three (3) team members
• Recent photo of all 3 team members
• Level of individual and team's experience with competitions/races, etc
• Brief description of why your team is great for this competition and why you will win
• Anything else that makes your team memorable and unique.
I suggested these guys.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Anyone going for this would surely find this video useful, as far as the necessary skill set goes.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BVvUYVT2b90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Junior Jones

Has anyone been watching this? It's okay, like a localized "Amazing Race". But the teams are too focused on completing the challenges and racing to the next checkpoint. I would enjoy more focus on the exotic locale.

Le Saboteur

Junior Jones said:
Has anyone been watching this? It's okay, like a localized "Amazing Race". But the teams are too focused on completing the challenges and racing to the next checkpoint. I would enjoy more focus on the exotic locale.

I'm currently about two weeks behind, but I've been watching. It's horribly banal; they spend more time talking about what they're doing then actually showing it. The team names are stupid (see Football Players) and I hate the "motivational" stories they shoehorn into each week's episode; i.e., No Limits bawling about wanting to see their respective families. They've been gone, what, a week so far?

Fortunately, the Italian Separatists -- sorry, Gypsies are amusing. Chad's funny too. But, like JJ said, they really should do more with the local culture and scenery instead of "racing" through it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Collection Intervention (Syfy) / My Crazy Obsession (TLC)

...is looking for an Indy collector. From the mailbag:
I am casting a show for TLC called My Crazy Obsession which showcases the best fans and biggest collectors in the country. We are looking to profile a huge Indiana Jones fan; a fan who is not only a collector, but also shows their love for Indiana Jones in other ways.
Hope to pass on more contact info, which might be on their site.

russds

Sounds interesting. I haven't heard of that show before, but would enjoying seeing an episode on Indy. I'll try to check back from time to time to see if I can get more info on it. Thanks for sharing.
-Russ

Stoo

From the TLC website:
The Learning Channel said:
My Crazy Obsession pulls back the curtains to reveal some of the nation's most extreme and unique obsessions. The series takes viewers behind-the-scenes of homes that are dedicated entirely to the owners' infatuation with various objects, people, or lifestyles.
Since the show is only looking for U.S. citizens, Mark "Indyclone25" Martino should be showcased. His collection, his costume gear, his whip cracking, his drawings and his BACKYARD would be perfect for the program. Go for it, Mark!:whip:

(If the show included Canada, then Les David's Ravenwood Museum would be a sure winner, too.)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
I'm pleased to see that they are not completely focused on collecting and are looking for passion. Owning ****e loads of tosh doesn't necessarily make you a passionate but it does give that warm and comforting glow, freed from anxiety, of finally completing a list.

Actually they already contacted me a few weeks back. Seems I'm not 'obsessed' enough to appear on their program. They loved the collection and the displays and I submitted 2 video interviews. But with questions on the written portion like 'what sacrifices have you made so you could keep your collection going' and 'if you had to choose between losing a finger or sell a piece of your collection which would it be?' I think I'm ok not appearing.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Reviewing their subjects so far, involvement is probably not something I would recommend to a fellow fan. I've seen how this works: the band leader at our church signed up for Dr. Phil, where his family budgeting difficulties were portrayed as ignorance, dysfunction and disaster. It's framed so even the lowest common denominator viewer can feel superior.

Something like Collection Intervention (Syfy) might be better, but still requires the element of conflict. The basis of all drama is conflict. Thanks for the insight Les, I'm sure gear and whip-wielding are also requirements in this case.

I don't have or watch pay TV, by the way, so I don't know what else is out there or worth waiting for, if anything.

Goodeknight

Yeah, I assumed it wouldn't be fan-based fun, but rather portraying some diehard fans as lunatics. Hence the name My Crazy Obsession. Crazy. Obsession. Neither really holds a positive connotation, unless it's a perfume. (Maybe if someone named a perfume "Crazy" it would have a more positive vibe...)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Watched the Star Wars portions of Collection Intervention, Episode CI. Actually somewhat sympathetic to the subjects, who in follow up interviews reveal no further intentions to downsize or stop accumulating after the auction of a mere $5000 of merchandise at Rancho Obi-Wan. Spoiler: Steve Sansweet casts the winning bid for their largest item. (I wouldn't expect Sansweet to star in a future episode.) Syfy will probably will come looking for an Indyfan if it makes it to another season.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Moedred said:
Watched the Star Wars portions of Collection Intervention, Episode CI. Actually somewhat sympathetic to the subjects, who in follow up interviews reveal no further intentions to downsize or stop accumulating after the auction of a mere $5000 of merchandise at Rancho Obi-Wan. Spoiler: Steve Sansweet casts the winning bid for their largest item. (I wouldn't expect Sansweet to star in a future episode.) Syfy will probably will come looking for an Indyfan if it makes it to another season.

Ahhh! I see.

The fan is Consetta Parker who has no other connection to Rancho Obi Wan other than their PR/Marketing officer. Stephen Swasweet is President. Mmmmmm! I smell something in the state of Denmark!

Can anyone smell this too?

Finn

Staff member
throwmetheidol said:
But with questions on the written portion like 'what sacrifices have you made so you could keep your collection going' and 'if you had to choose between losing a finger or sell a piece of your collection which would it be?'
Finally, a place to send all those, um... accessories I've accumulated over the years in my side job as a debt collector. Right now they're just taking space in the freezer.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
JuniorJones said:
The fan is Consetta Parker who has no other connection to Rancho Obi Wan other than their PR/Marketing officer. Stephen Sansweet is President.
Very amusing. Close enough to a Lucasfilm endorsement if one wanted to show the world their collection? Maybe Sansweet could make another cameo and bid on something Indy.

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Uh, is that a finger necklace reference to ToD, there Finn?
Not really, but I just realized that next year's Valentine's Day can't come soon enough.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Moedred said:
Very amusing. Close enough to a Lucasfilm endorsement if one wanted to show the world their collection? Maybe Sansweet could make another cameo and bid on something Indy.

It's certainly an odd way to conduct PR for your organisation.