TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Jono11
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 72
Unpublished Indy Page!

Actually meant to put this up awhile ago, but didn't get around to it. It's an unpublished Young Indiana Jones comic book page. My sources disagree on the timeframe. On the one hand, stylistically it looks to be an early- to mid-90s page, as it somewhat apes the "Adventures" style of Bruce Timm, which was very much in vogue at the time for taking PG-13 properties (Batman, The Mask, etc.) and making them more kiddified. If this is the correct reading of the page, then we could be looking at evidence that Dark Horse, Lucasfilm, or at least one or two editorial folks at one of the companies, was looking at a "Young Indiana Jones Adventures" line long before the anime-digest format made it the trendy thing to do, in 2008.

On the other hand, this is a better transfer than you usually see from a page that old. It's very clean, it's very crisp, it looks really good. It's ready for lettering and coloring. This is probably from some artist's personal collection of his/her own work. This could indicate that what we're looking at is much newer, firmly in the post-digital comic book world. This could be a tryout page from a creative team pitching a Young Indy comic for the Indiana Jones Adventures series.

Personally, I come down on the former side. The mid-90s comic book scene was a wasteland of cancelled projects, projects that one person that they were doing and another person thought they weren't, projects submitted on spec that never even got a second look from an editor, and so on and so forth. My money says this piece was from a Young Indy Adventures book that was at some mid-level stage of publication, someone started working on it, and then the book got canned.

Enjoy this page from "Young Indiana Jones and the Vaguely Middle Eastern Adventure."

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6...75f6 e8ebb871
Jono11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Crack that whip
IndyFan
 
Crack that whip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Stone Mountain, GA
Posts: 1,723
Thanks for sharing! Where'd you get it?
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
bennihana123
IndyFan
 
bennihana123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Posts: 342
Cool, great find!
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono11
My money says this piece was from a Young Indy Adventures book that was at some mid-level stage of publication, someone started working on it, and then the book got canned.
I'm not convinced that this is anything more than a portfolio submission by a wishful thinker or, simply, fan work on the internet. (How did you come across the piece?) Due to the amateur-ish quality of its artwork, I highly doubt this was from a project cancelled during mid-level publication. Plus, there is only 1 name credited in the 1st panel: "by S____w". I'd like to be wrong but there are just too many tell-tale signs. I could go on...

Timeframe? Because the lettering style the "Young" logo looks identical to the Young Telegraph strips and Indy is still a Scout, my guess is that this was done by a UK fan c.1990 who was inspired by the "Mountains of Superstition" strip. (Crispness of the image is irrelevant since anything can be touched up once it's been scanned.)

That's my take, Jono and as Crack asked, where'd you get it?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Jono11
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 72
I have family members and family friends/connections in quite a few of the entertainment industries. I've reached out to a few in particular in film and comics, which means occasionally I hear about things a little in advance. Also occasionally, the comics folks send me scans of unpublished pages they run across in archives, or in the personal collections of acquaintances, and so on and so forth, because they know I dig that sort of thing. I've got a couple of DVDs worth of scanned unpublished images, mostly from Marvel or DC, and even some entire issues and/or stories reconstructed.

Generally, you don't run across much in the way of unpublished Dark Horse--not only are they a smaller publishing house, but they have a generally higher standard of work, so fewer crappy, soon-to-be-cancelled projects ever get approved. You'll see a lot of unpublished stuff from the big houses, because they can afford to pay for something and never use it, and a lot from some of the lesser small houses, because they can't afford to not approve crappy work, and sometimes, can't even afford to publish it. Dark Horse is the one from which you just don't see much of anything unpublished. I think I have maybe one or two Star Wars pages. This is the first and only Indy page that's ever been passed on to me.

Good call on the logo, Stoo. Still, the style isn't very UK. (Granted, I've seen basically zero kiddie comics from the UK, just stuff like 2000AD and Crisis and whatnot.) However, I'm going to agree with you on your timeframe for it, because as I look back over the page, Indy looks very River Phoenix.

The single credit really doesn't mean much, to me. The credits go onto a comics page with the rest of the lettering, and this page is pre-lettered. That's just the artist signing his work prominently, which isn't altogether common, but not unheard of, either.
Jono11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
cool indy
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 12
I clicked the link to the page, it was inaccessible, can you put the picture on the thread.
cool indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
cool indy
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 12
Young Indiana Jones Unpublished Comic!

Jono11 posted her page on mediafire. When I try her link it didn't work. Can Jono11 posted on her thread and tell me what happened to the link?
cool indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,435
Threads merged.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool indy
Jono11 posted her page on mediafire. When I try her link it didn't work. Can Jono11 posted on her thread and tell me what happened to the link?
If she doesn't answer, I have the image on my hard drive and will post it.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member
 
JuniorJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scannerland.
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
If she doesn't answer, I have the image on my hard drive and will post it.

Oooooooh! Please post!
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
indyclone25
IndyFan
 
indyclone25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: midlothian Illinois just south of chicago
Posts: 3,377
i am also waiting for the post
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member
 
JuniorJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scannerland.
Posts: 1,987
...and the tumbleweed gently brushed the road as it floated by....
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Question Fan Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
...and the tumbleweed gently brushed the road as it floated by....
...before it was caught on the needles of a large cactus in the middle of a vast, vacant desert.

O.K. Here 'tis...

As stated above, my educated guess says that this is probably nothing more than a fan's work from c.1990. (But I could be wrong.)

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member
 
JuniorJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scannerland.
Posts: 1,987
Thankyou, Gov`nor!
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,875
An older Mr. Havelock?
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
...and the tumbleweed gently brushed the road as it floated by....
A one time candidate for The Thread to Nowhere Raven Award.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Fan Work?
Pretty well done if it is...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member
 
JuniorJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scannerland.
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
A one time candidate for The Thread to Nowhere Raven Award.Pretty well done if it is...

...very well done. Still, it would be interesting to find the FACTS. As we do like FACTS.
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
An older Mr. Havelock?
Mr. Havelock's dad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Pretty well done if it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
...very well done.
I disagree. The 1st panel is nice but it must have been copied or traced from a photograph because the perspective in panel 2 is off (window shutters, stairs, etc.). The rest is flat and lacks depth. All the characters are roughly the same size on the same plane with little distinction between foreground or background. (I also don't like the outdated rendering style. The faces of the other scouts look like they come straight out of a 1950s comic and the eyebrows of the guy in the last 2 panels are out of whack.) Also, notice how the artist avoided the complication of drawing hands. Count how many people there are, then count how many hands are shown.

This can't be the work of a professional.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #19
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member
 
JuniorJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scannerland.
Posts: 1,987
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Mr. Havelock's dad?

I disagree. The 1st panel is nice but it must have been copied or traced from a photograph because the perspective in panel 2 is off (window shutters, stairs, etc.). The rest is flat and lacks depth. All the characters are roughly the same size on the same plane with little distinction between foreground or background. (I also don't like the outdated rendering style. The faces of the other scouts look like they come straight out of a 1950s comic and the eyebrows of the guy in the last 2 panels are out of whack.) Also, notice how the artist avoided the complication of drawing hands. Count how many people there are, then count how many hands are shown.

This can't be the work of a professional.

After that I hope the poor B%#@&*D is crying with shame!

Your right! But I think it's a nice fake. It has a Don DeCarlo feel about it.

Let's hope that Jack Kirby doesn't rise from his grave to draw an Indiana Jones strip, if you review it, it would sent him straight to heeeellll!
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
The 1st panel is nice but it must have been copied or traced from a photograph because the perspective in panel 2 is off (window shutters, stairs, etc.).
I'd be surprised to hear that most artists we admire DON'T use light boxes/boards, (to "trace" pictures)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
The rest is flat and lacks depth. All the characters are roughly the same size on the same plane with little distinction between foreground or background. (I also don't like the outdated rendering style. The faces of the other scouts look like they come straight out of a 1950s comic and the eyebrows of the guy in the last 2 panels are out of whack.)
I think the character style precludes depth, clashing with the background, (different artist?) and so supports your position. Maybe why its unpublished?

Maybe it was a test run to work out style...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
This can't be the work of a professional.
Eh...maybe.

Junior?
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #21
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
After that I hope the poor B%#@&*D is crying with shame!

Your right! But I think it's a nice fake.
Fake-Schmake. It was drawn by a "poor bastard", schlemiel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I'd be surprised to hear that most artists we admire DON'T use light boxes/boards, (to "trace" pictures)!
No boubt, Rocket. I have a light box and have worked on light tables. Even the revered, Drew Struzan, uses an overhead projector. (I had one of those but it was just too damned cumbersome to keep.)

My point is: The perspective in the top panel is good. Why is the rest so bad? Because...the top panel was copied/traced from a photo and the artist obviously didn't know enough about perspective to do the other panels as well. (The line of scouts in panel #2 is, yet, another example.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I think the character style precludes depth, clashing with the background, (different artist?) and so supports your position. Maybe why its unpublished?

Maybe it was a test run to work out style...
Nah...There is only one artist credited. The reason why it's unpublished is, most likely, because it was NEVER INTENDED to be published! It reaks of a poor fan submission.

What publisher would hire an artist who is afraid to draw hands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Eh...maybe.

Junior?
Junior has already agreed with me.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
My point is: The perspective in the top panel is good. Why is the rest so bad? Because...the top panel was copied/traced from a photo and the artist obviously didn't know enough about perspective to do the other panels as well. (The line of scouts in panel #2 is, yet, another example.)
I agree. The styles are vastly different...

I didn't think it that odd to have a background artist and a character artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Nah...There is only one artist credited. The reason why it's unpublished is, most likely, because it was NEVER INTENDED to be published! It reaks of a poor fan submission.
Most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
What publisher would hire an artist who is afraid to draw hands?
A fetishist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Junior has already agreed with me.
Oh, I'm not asking for opinion!
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #23
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member
 
JuniorJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scannerland.
Posts: 1,987
I agreed with Stoo's points in regards to the standard of the art and as it doesn't ring any memory bells there might be nothing more to add.

Still, I never been one for Dr Tyree's class and I think it a bit premature to discount it altogther especially when I'm on the case...
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
Still, I never been one for Dr Tyree's class and I think it a bit premature to discount it altogther especially when I'm on the case...
Keep on the case, JuniorJones, but it's probably a lost cause.

Here is my prediction:

-c.1990
-U.K. origin
-Amateur (who was +50 years old in 1990 with no formal, artistic training)
-Overweight, FAT guy!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #25
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member
 
JuniorJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Scannerland.
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
-Amateur (who was +50 years old in 1990 with no formal, artistic training) -Overweight, FAT guy!

Ha!Ha! He's had too many pies which made his hands too fat to hold the pencil...
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.