TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?
Absolutely!!! I'm in lala land 51 35.66%
Maybe...but not today. 53 37.06%
No, not with any of the current creators and members. 19 13.29%
Heck no, no denial issues here. 8 5.59%
I may not like it, but a Re-boot is possible within the decade 18 12.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
tnswman
IndyFan

General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

This is from Fox news.

Lucas: 'Indy 5' a Possibility

George Lucas tells me itís more than a strong possibility there will be a fifth "Indiana Jones." He says that he and director Steven Spielberg have left the door open for a sequel to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Lucas, looking dandy with slicked-back gray and white hair in a snappy tuxedo, was a guest Thursday night at Paramount/DreamWorksís party for "Kung Fu Panda" at the 61st Cannes Film Festival.

The swell event was set up on the pier across from the Carlton Hotel, where the studio spared no expense recreating sets and treating guests to haute Chinese cuisine. There was even one of the 40 pandas from the publicity stunt the day before, dancing in the crowd to Carl Carltonís old hit "Kung Fu Fighting."

Lucas had a lot to say about the new "Indy" and its future.

"I havenít even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

"And itís not like Harrison is even old. I mean, heís 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and itís not like heís an old man. Heís incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."

Lucas says heís not concerned about early mixed buzz on "Crystal Skull."

"This movie is the exact same experience as the other three were. The difference is, the novelty of discovery is gone. I get worried when I hear fans say theyíre expecting something different that will change their lives. This is 'Indiana Jones' just as you remember him."

But thatís exactly the gamble Spielberg and Lucas took with reviving their icon. Expectation grows into a frenzy and then no one in that frame of mind can be satisfied.

You already can see this with "Sex and the City: The Movie" and it hasn't even opened everywhere. Fans and even some critics want some transcendent experience. They almost seem upset that all they got was Ö "Sex and the City."

Lucas has been here before, when he revived and extended the "Star Wars" series. The build-up to the release of the fourth installment (aka now Chapter 1), "Phantom Menace," was huge until it reached a fever pitch. Then, almost before it could be absorbed, "Phantom Menace" became the target of scorn from fanatics. Computer-generated character Jar Jar Binks was public enemy No. 1.

But "Star Wars" continues to thrive. In August, Lucas says, heís releasing an animated 90-minute "Star Wars" movie to theaters via Warner Bros. called "Clone Wars." It will be followed in September by an animated series on the Cartoon Network and TNT.

"No one wanted it," he told me. "Every studio rejected it, including Fox, and Iím very loyal to them. They have right of first refusal. Eventually I brought it to Warners. Itís the first time that three components of the studio have acted together. Itís very exciting.

"But the story is that everyone said, 'No one gets this. Itís just Ö 'Star Wars.'' I said, 'Thatís right, Itís just 'Star Wars.' Just like this is Ö 'Indiana Jones.''"

Oh, yes, and by the way: If "Crystal Skull" breaks records when it opens on May 22, Lucas could wind up having his name on a fourth title in the all-time box office top 10 (it would be Spielbergís second).

"But these movies ó the 'Indiana Jones' ones ó were never big hits right away. They were always slow starters that built up to big numbers," Lucas insisted.

I donít think that will be the case with this one. And the notion that a sequel already is playing around in his head should only fuel the heady numbers about to be posted.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356282,00.html
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
The Man
IndyFan

That's not Indiana Jones 5. That Mutt Williams 1.5. Ford should flat-out refuse such a demotion.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

Harrison guest starring in an Indy movie?!?!?! Further proof Lucas has lost his mind!!!
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
tnswman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
Harrison guest starring in an Indy movie?!?!?! Further proof Lucas has lost his mind!!!

LOL!! How did you not get the 1st post on this.
tnswman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
The Man
IndyFan

I never thought I could feel this way, but maybe a flop for Crystal Skull could stop this malignant insanity before it destroys not only Indy but the wider galaxy in which we live.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
I never thought I could feel this way, but maybe a flop for Crystal Skull could stop this malignant insanity before it destroys not only Indy but the wider galaxy in which we live.

It won't flop. Phantom Menace sucked and still made $430 million. Lucas will use that as proof people loved it.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
A_True_Believer
IndyFan

Oh HELL no. He did NOT just say that he wants Mutt to be the lead character if they make Indy 5.

Crap. Crap crap crap crap CRAP!!!!

Dammit, George, you're doing it again. Your incessant meddling is going to be the end of us all.

Create a new franchise with just Mutt. Give him a TV series. A cartoon series. ANYTHING. But for the love of God don't put him in the lead and call it "Indy 5". Just don't.
A_True_Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
eroc
IndyFan

However they want to do Indy 5 is fine by me. Shia could share top billing with Harrison, I wouldn't mind.
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Agent Spalko

Lucas must be terminated with extreme prejudice!!! APOCALYPSE GEORGE!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_True_Believer
Oh HELL no. He did NOT just say that he wants Mutt to be the lead character if they make Indy 5.

Dammit, George, you're doing it again. Your incessant meddling is going to be the end of us all.

Create a new franchise with just Mutt. Give him a TV series. A cartoon series. ANYTHING. But for the love of God don't put him in the lead and call it "Indy 5". Just don't.

Notice that Lucas isn't calling it "Indy 5". FOX News and the fans are the ones doing that.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
JerryKing
IndyFan

Ah, the first actual, spoken confirmation of the obvious.

Some might say that George is unaware of the fact that absolutely nobody, save perhaps for a handful of teenage girls, would want to see a movie in which Shia la Istilldontcarewhathisnameis would be top-billed as the "star" - but, in fact, he knows the power of the mechanism that was known as propaganda in the USSR and is known as PR in the US. Make a statesman out of a cretin, make a star out of a worthless amoeba, make a singer out of a deaf chainsmoker - everything can be done, and the grateful public will keep swallowing it. Shia La will take over, probably by 2012.
JerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
eroc
IndyFan

I wonder if back in 1989 people were pissed off because George brought in a huge movie star like Sean Connery to share top billing with Harrison on LC?
James Bond for Pete's sake!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
Agent Spalko

In 1989 Lucas still had some small semblance of sanity left in him. He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
A_True_Believer
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Notice that Lucas isn't calling it "Indy 5". FOX News and the fans are the ones doing that.

If Lucas is suggesting that Indy is in it, it will be Indy 5. Having Harrison in it and NOT calling it Indy 5 would be an even bigger travesty. "Mutt Williams and the Blah Blah Blah.....with a special appearance by Indiana Jones"? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Shia or the Mutt character, but the center of the Indiana Jones world is Indiana - freakin - Jones. If they want to explore Mutt further, give him his own series of films to play in.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
A_True_Believer
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc
I wonder if back in 1989 people were pissed off because George brought in a huge movie star like Sean Connery to share top billing with Harrison on LC?
James Bond for Pete's sake!

If they had tried to do that with an actual James Bond film, people would have every right to be pissed. But since it was a different franchise, it wasn't really the same thing.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #16
Michael24
IndyFan

Quote:
In 1989 Lucas still had some small semblance of sanity left in him. He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.

LMAO!!!

Quote:
If Lucas is suggesting that Indy is in it, it will be Indy 5. Having Harrison in it and NOT calling it Indy 5 would be an even bigger travesty. "Mutt Williams and the Blah Blah Blah.....with a special appearance by Indiana Jones"? I don't think so.

I have nothing against Shia or the Mutt character, but the center of the Indiana Jones world is Indiana - freakin - Jones. If they want to explore Mutt further, give him his own series of films to play in.

Agreed.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

"I havenít even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

Ughh......I don't, to be honest.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:

But he got second billing for his appearance in YIJC, so it's certainly possible he would be in a "Mutt Williams and the..." film.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
nitzsche
IndyFan

This is awesome news!
nitzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
eroc
IndyFan

Quote:

HeHeHe! fuuuunnny!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Skipper
IndyFan

Quote:

Well, it obviously wouldn't be called "Indy 5." It would be called "Mutt Williams and the...." And it might be lame, but if you don't like it, then don't see it.
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
Arab Swordsman
IndyFan

I don't agree with Agent Spalko that this new movie is going to be disappointing but I do agree totally that George Lucus must be stopped right now. I don't even know what to write about this article. I had a huge rant typed out and just deleted it. I really hope Harrison and Spielberg maintain the integrity of the movies and don't allow this to happen. The movies are called Indiana Jones, not Mutt Williams and allowing the main character to be secondary like that is a slap in the face of the last three films and this new one.
Arab Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #23
Agent Spalko

Somebody give me a machete and a gun and I will drive to Skywalker Ranch right now and take out Lucas.

"They told me... that you have gone... totally insane."
Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #24
MattJones
IndyFan

Location: Note about username: I made this back when we thought Shia's character COULD have been Matthew Jones. Oh well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnswman
This is from Fox news.

"I haven’t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out."

As I was reading that I couldn't help but feel like John Locke just pulled a gun on me demanding that Hurley stays with him.

Sawyer: "Have you lost your mind?"

For more information on my response to this outrage, please see LOST S4E9 "The Shape of Things to Come."
MattJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #25
Arab Swordsman
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzsche
This is awesome news!

I just threw up in my mouth.
Arab Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote