TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #101
Finn

Funny how the Internet allows us to study the slightest minutiae in a man's reaction and draw incredibly far-reaching conclusions. Didn't think that was possible.

Wait. It usually isn't. Yet...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #102
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Funny how the Internet allows us to study the slightest minutiae in a man's reaction and draw incredibly far-reaching conclusions. Didn't think that was possible.

Wait. It usually isn't. Yet...

More and more this board is starting to remind me of how some Jurassic Park message boards were when Jurassic World was in this early stages of rumor. I understand, people who don't have much news will reach, but I believe that the comments I made regarding Pratt's were meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #103
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
More and more this board is starting to remind me of how some Jurassic Park message boards were when Jurassic World was in this early stages of rumor. I understand, people who don't have much news will reach, but I believe that the comments I made regarding Pratt's were meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.

Eh, cut Finn some slack. He's probably just exhausted from all the users who really do over-analyze this stuff.

Probably...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #104
Finn

What I actually was referring to was the story Moe originally had as a source. It was a lengthy article where those clowns practically dissected a 45-second YouTube clip and wrote an entire piece on it.

Hilariously, their final conclusion of Pratt's reaction basically boiled down "could be he's in talks, could be he isn't". So props for following the proper scientific procedure there, I guess. Because that's pretty much all you can draw from said clip.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #105
Pale Horse

Quote:
So props for following the proper scientific procedure there, I guess. Because that's pretty much all you can draw from said clip.

In the quest for revenue generating clicks, everyone is a mercenary, and a grave robber.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:13 AM   #106
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
In the quest for revenue generating clicks, everyone is a mercenary, and a grave robber.
Don't I know that. It's perhaps one reason I feel such a strong sense of loyalty towards TR.N. While it can get a little silly around here as well, at times, in this little corner of the web I can, if not supress, at least control said silliness.

So, if I were to get in on the fun... I'd have this to say: Mr. Pratt may or may not know much, but something in his behavior here tells me he really likes the idea, though.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:29 AM   #107
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
those clowns practically dissected a 45-second YouTube clip
I was going to defend TMZ then remembered they acquired some of Spielberg's stolen Indy 4 documents in 2007 but were stopped by Paramount from reporting too much. Unfortunately there are a few clowns, fewer investigative journalists, and the rest cut and paste. At least TMZ posted raw video, while none bothered to upload or transcribe the Hasty Pudding presser in which Pratt spoke at length about Chris Evans' charity. That's the irony here, the paparazzi are the only ones getting out of the way of a story.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #108
DARTH ZOIDBERG
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Lest anyone think I've forgotten just how awesome Harrison Ford's run as Indy was, here's something to show my appreciation for that era. I'm very proud of this one, hope you all like it. And shout-out to my mate Henry Junior for the beautiful logo at the end! If he's still around these parts...

Cool Video, Thanks for posting but, how much cooler would It have been with John Williams booming Soundtrack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DARTH ZOIDBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #109
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
Why on earth recast the role when Ford is still willing and able to play Indy again?

Because he's a 72 year old man. I love Harrison Ford. I love Indiana Jones. But Ford is now simply too old to play the character as we wish to see him. They only just managed to get away with it in Crystal Skull and the audience can only suspend disbelief so far.

The stories need to be about the adventures of a learned, swashbuckling, womanizing action hero in the prime of his life set in a time when the world still held many secrets. I personally do not want to see a septuagenarian Indy in the 1960s.

I have no problem seeing another actor play the role. It's worked perfectly fine for the Bond franchise several times over (with arguable degrees of success) so there's no reason a character as rich as Indy shouldn't fair as well.
indytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #110
Silvor
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytim
Because he's a 72 year old man. I love Harrison Ford. I love Indiana Jones. But Ford is now simply too old to play the character as we wish to see him.
I think you meant to say "I" instead of "we" right there.
Unless somebody made you the spokesperson for the entire world wide audience for Indiana Jones while I wasn't looking.

I would absolutely love for Ford to reprise the role again.
What Ford can do, Indy can do. There's no set rule as to what age Indy should be.
Silvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #111
Pale Horse

Quote:
Unless somebody made you the spokesperson for the entire world wide audience for Indiana Jones while I wasn't looking.

The world has spoken, and this back in 1989:

Old 05-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #112
indytim
IndyFan

Location: England (you can get all kinds of transport there ... boat, plane, anything)
Quote:
The world has spoken, and this back in 1989:

I lost nothing today. Anyone who thinks Disney is going to relaunch one of the world's biggest film franchises with a 72 year old man in the lead role is going to be bitterly disappointed.

They will want someone young enough to carry this franchise forwards for at least 10 years, getting three or four films out of him in the process. Disney aren't doing this for artistic reasons or fan service. They're doing it first and foremost to make money because the Disney shareholders demand to see a long term return on their investment. The 'Ford Purists' can stamp their feet all they want but I can assure you it is simply not happening. Harrison will have no more than a cameo in the next film.

Things that do not evolve die. That's just a fact of life. This franchise will do exactly that with a new actor in the role of Indy. Just like with James Bond. Just like with Batman. If not, they'll be no new movies and we'll be left watching reruns, wondering what could have been.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #113
Lao_Che
IndyFan

Would be nice for Ford to get an appropriate swansong with Indy but I'd like more films. And a cartoon series. And good games. And...
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #114
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
I lost nothing today. Anyone who thinks Disney is going to relaunch one of the world's biggest film franchises with a 72 year old man in the lead role is going to be bitterly disappointed.

They will want someone young enough to carry this franchise forwards for at least 10 years, getting three or four films out of him in the process. Disney aren't doing this for artistic reasons or fan service. They're doing it first and foremost to make money because the Disney shareholders demand to see a long term return on their investment. The 'Ford Purists' can stamp their feet all they want but I can assure you it is simply not happening. Harrison will have no more than a cameo in the next film.

Things that do not evolve die. That's just a fact of life. This franchise will do exactly that with a new actor in the role of Indy. Just like with James Bond. Just like with Batman. If not, they'll be no new movies and we'll be left watching reruns, wondering what could have been.

Mr. Horse's video agrees with you:

On reflection, was White Suit actually Walt Disney himself?

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #115
indytim
IndyFan

http://thelumpster.deviantart.com/ar...ones-516212499

Old 05-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #116
indytim
IndyFan

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #117
Pale Horse

Quote:
...If not, they'll be no new movies and we'll be left watching reruns....

In a spot of Devil's Advocate: Don't knock this model, Netflix is making a killing at it.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #118
IndyForever
IndyFan

Quote:
Guess you know Bob Iger personally or maybe Alan Horn as they relaunched the $4b Star Wars franchise with the same 72 year old in the lead part
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #119
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
Guess you know Bob Iger personally or maybe Alan Horn as they relaunched the $4b Star Wars franchise with the same 72 year old in the lead part

...supporting. Supporting Part.

Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are the leads. The rest are supporting characters.

Too tired to link the supporting evidence, but it's out there.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:04 AM   #120
indytim
IndyFan

Quote:
...supporting. Supporting Part.

Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are the leads. The rest are supporting characters.

Too tired to link the supporting evidence, but it's out there.

Exactly. Harrison Ford's participation in the new Star Wars was only ever planned as a cameo. The same goes for the other original cast members. They're simply in there for continuity. Don't expect to see him in Episode VIII or beyond. I anticipate seeing Han and Chewy going out Butch and Sundance style this Christmas.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #121
Silvor
IndyFan

Quote:
Exactly. Harrison Ford's participation in the new Star Wars was only ever planned as a cameo. The same goes for the other original cast members. They're simply in there for continuity. Don't expect to see him in Episode VIII or beyond. I anticipate seeing Han and Chewy going out Butch and Sundance style this Christmas.
This isn't true.
He is one of the leads in the new movie. Basically all of the rumors have stated this.
It's even being described as Fords movie. I'm 100% sure it's not a cameo at all.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #122
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
This isn't true.
He is one of the leads in the new movie. Basically all of the rumors have stated this.
It's even being described as Fords movie. I'm 100% sure it's not a cameo at all.

It's more than a cameo, I agree, but he's not THE lead, as he would be expected to be in an Indy movie. He's part of an ensemble. Plus, Han was never as physically active as Indy. He spent most of ESB sitting down in the Falcon's cockpit... there's no reason at all a 72 year old can't do that. Indy, on the other hand, should be leaping from horses, dragged behind trucks, swinging on ropes/whips, getting into fistfights, etc, etc. And a 72 year old simply can't/shouldn't do those things. Sure, the film makers could do it with special effects (CGI, head-replacement, etc), just like they had Christopher Lee fighting in the SW prequels, but do we really want that? I don't, and I don't think many other people do either. Nor do I think many people want an Indy movie that lacks action simply because the leading man is too old to partake in the action. So, regrettably, that means the only way to make another good Indy movie is to find a new leading man.

Anyway, aside from Harrison's age, there's also the time period to consider. If Harrison is cast, the movie would have to take place in the 1960s, at least... more likely the 1970s. Does that time period really work for an Indy movie? For me, it wouldn't. It's too modern, and it would lose some of the charm that we got from the 1930s setting.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #123
Silvor
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
It's more than a cameo, I agree, but he's not THE lead, as he would be expected to be in an Indy movie. He's part of an ensemble. Plus, Han was never as physically active as Indy. He spent most of ESB sitting down in the Falcon's cockpit... there's no reason at all a 72 year old can't do that. Indy, on the other hand, should be leaping from horses, dragged behind trucks, swinging on ropes/whips, getting into fistfights, etc, etc. And a 72 year old simply can't/shouldn't do those things. Sure, the film makers could do it with special effects (CGI, head-replacement, etc), just like they had Christopher Lee fighting in the SW prequels, but do we really want that? I don't, and I don't think many other people do either. Nor do I think many people want an Indy movie that lacks action simply because the leading man is too old to partake in the action. So, regrettably, that means the only way to make another good Indy movie is to find a new leading man.

Anyway, aside from Harrison's age, there's also the time period to consider. If Harrison is cast, the movie would have to take place in the 1960s, at least... more likely the 1970s. Does that time period really work for an Indy movie? For me, it wouldn't. It's too modern, and it would lose some of the charm that we got from the 1930s setting.
I don't get what so many people have against an older person being a little physically active in a heroic fashion.
Indy grows old just like the rest of us, there's no rule stating that he has to be in his 30's forever.

Of course they wouldn't cgi a digital Ford doing backflips and other stuff. Do you honestly think Ford can't run around anymore, or throw some punches? Did Indy really do that much crazy athletic stuff?

A CGI double would just be crazy and something Ford probably wouldn't want as he enjoys the physicality of the part.

Just have Indy do what Ford can do, which I'm sure is quite a bit, he isn't exactly out of shape. Having Indy be able to still kick some ass even in old age just makes him even more awesome to me, that takes real effort!

Last edited by Silvor : 05-08-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #124
Pale Horse

Quote:
I don't get what so many people have against an older person being a little physically active in a heroic fashion.

A) It's requires a suspension of logic beyond the tone already set by the first 4. Brody and Henry Sr. at best threw a couple of punches but were never dragged by a truck, or swung from anything.

B) It's not an ageist discrimination or a knock against his acting chops.

C) There is no way to escape this most valid post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
If Harrison is cast, the movie would have to take place in the 1960s, at least... more likely the 1970s. Does that time period really work for an Indy movie? For me, it wouldn't. It's too modern, and it would lose some of the charm that we got from the 1930s setting.

The only thing to avoid that and return to the classic serial model, is to recast and reboot the whole she-bang. You want Harry in it? Have him find the fountain of youth as an old man, and return to the 1930 after drinking the elixir, as a whole new actor.

Boom, fan boys happy, franchise investors happy, life can return to the pigeon vs. mod chess game.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #125
Lambonius
IndyFan

Quote:
The only thing to avoid that and return to the classic serial model, is to recast and reboot the whole she-bang. You want Harry in it? Have him find the fountain of youth as an old man, and return to the 1930 after drinking the elixir, as a whole new actor.

I've always thought the whole Fountain of Youth idea was even sillier than "interdimensional beings." Sure, it might make him young again, but sending him back in time? Absurd.

A better way to handle it would be something similar to what the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles did--frame the main narrative with Harrison doing some storytelling; maybe even throw in a couple of Mystery of the Blues style action scenes to cap off his bookends. New actor is introduced, Harrison gets an appropriate send-off, the set-up is there for more sequels with a younger Indy.

I also don't see Chris Pratt doing the character any kind of real justice. His usual comedic timing and silly tone is all wrong for Indy. I'd rather see them go with a newcomer who'd be less recognizable than Pratt.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote