TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Moedred
Administrator

The Reboot Awakens at Abner's Journal

These entries, originally from a 2-month-old fan site called Abner's Journal, have been appearing on Movie Pilot also. Just thought I'd put them all in one place...

EPISODE 1 : DO OR DO NOT
EPISODE 2 : A TIME AND PLACE
EPISODE 3 : THE SILHOUETTE STAYS THE SAME
EPISODE 4 : SATURDAY MORNINGS
HARRISON FORD : ONE MORE GO
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
TheFedora
IndyFan

So I see just like Jurassic World the Indy 5 spinoff fan sites are starting...
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
Mickiana
IndyFan

I almost laughed out loud when in Abner's Journal, suggestions of actors to play certain characters were based on their resemblance to the character as already played by someone else. The funny part was when he suggested Michael Fassbender to play Forrestal.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
DDW1
IndyFan

No lie, I originally had Paul Bettany playing Forrestal

DDW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW1

Ha! Amazing likeness!

Joking apart, well done with Abner's Journal, Doug: very engaging and inventive.

I am glad I discovered your blog and will definitely follow it from now on.

And thanks to Moedred for posting a link here at the Raven.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:

Well, I must say your site does look very professional. Its clear and precise and it covers a lot of different topics... Well done.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
DDW1
IndyFan

Indiana Jones 5 Script

Hoping fans from the Raven Forum will read my spec script for Indy 5, entitled Indiana Jones and the Stone of Destiny. I need it reviewed for rewrites, right now it is running about 20-25 pages too long. A link to the script can be found here: http://www.abnersjournal.com/#!the-s...-destiny/c1yrw

All reviews can be sent to abnersjournal@gmail.com and a handful of them will be posted on a future installment of The Reboot Awakens that will focus on the screenwriting of the Indiana Jones films.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
DDW1
IndyFan

Episode 6

Episode 6 of the Reboot Awakens is here! This installment examines 5 ideas that Disney should take away from the film Mad Max: Fury Road when making Indiana Jones 5. Check it out, then come back to the Raven to discuss the episode.

http://www.abnersjournal.com/#!episo...f-mad-max/cwy8

Old 05-22-2015, 01:14 AM   #9
Lambonius
IndyFan

I'm not sure I buy the Mad Max and Indy comparisons. There are some good points there, but I think the key area where I disagree is in the idea that an Indiana Jones film should strive to BE an action movie. What made Raiders so great was not JUST the well-choreographed and realistically grounded action, but also the intelligence of the character of Indy, solving problems just as much with his wits as his fists/guns. Last Crusade struck a pretty good balance in this, too, but not as good as Raiders. Every time the Indy series has tried to push the action further, it's failed, in my opinion. Temple of Doom, as much as I love it, is often criticized exactly because it takes the action and camp much further than Raiders did. Crystal Skull does it to an even more absurd degree, and it's one of the main reasons why that film falls flat. There's not ENOUGH smart moments in Skull, and the action scenes are too frequent and drawn out, so the plot feels very thin as a result. A great Indy film cannot just be about over-the-top action sequences.
Lambonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
DDW1
IndyFan

Very true. The intelligence of the Indy character is one thing I should have included. But mainly the article was striving to say that there are basic elements that were introduced in Raiders that have seemed to gradually dissapear through out the rest of the movies and Disney should think hard about the "identity" of the series before continuing. But I totally agree that Indiana Jones shouldn't be about action. One of the best things about the series is it has the potential to include multiple genres. One film's plot could be one long chase, another film's plot could be a detective storyline. The beauty of the serial-style format is that it allows for this "change in structure" between each installment. It doesn't matter as long as you keep the root elements that make the film feel like an Indiana Jones film. That's why I always thought one more with Harrison Ford was possible. If done correctly, knowing it was Ford's last ride, could make for a beautiful, moving, epic adventure.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #11
DDW1
IndyFan

Episode 7: Fans, Fans, Fans

A new installment of the Reboot Awakens is online. I stray a little off topic here, but I wanted to cover this subject for some time now. Would love to know your thoughts.

http://www.abnersjournal.com/#!episo...ans-fans/c18pb
Old 06-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
A new installment of the Reboot Awakens is online. I stray a little off topic here, but I wanted to cover this subject for some time now. Would love to know your thoughts.

http://www.abnersjournal.com/#!episo...ans-fans/c18pb
Well done Doug, I enjoyed it very much.

I don't necessarily agree with everything you said - but it's a heartfelt, passionate article, well written and full of thoughtful remarks.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
DDW1
IndyFan

Episode 8: The Indiana Jones Brain Trust

Episode 8 of the Reboot Awakens is here! In this installment I take a look at the idea of an Indiana Jones brain trust, and which players in Hollywood might be a part of it. Check it out, then come back to the Raven to discuss the episode.

http://www.abnersjournal.com/#!episo...ain-trust/cbgg
Old 04-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #14
Olliana
IndyFan

So... whatever happened to the website?
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote